Grad Transfer Recruiting 2018

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Three scholarship quarterbacks isn't enough really. Alabama got lucky last year with the injury situation, and it wasn't like you'd expect a true freshman to transfer mid-season. The year before though, Alabama had more depth, with Bateman, Hurts, Cornwell and Barnett, and by the end of the year there was talk of a reciever's role in the depth chart. Cornwell got hurt, Barnett transferred, and there was some debate if Bateman would be around for the championship game. So, in terms of the quarterback situation, I think Saban wants four scholarship QBs, whomever they may be.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
In a perfect world Jalen could make all the throws and we didn't need Tua to come in. In the real world we all agree that Tua brought this team back in that game. I feel confident that a majority of us Bama fans like Jalen and wish the best for him. He will learn from this and I trust Coach Saban's handling of the situation.
I remember when I was in my 30's and my friend got the promotion that I was sure was mine. I didn't react too well and handled it poorly. I wasn't a college kid but I acted like a 2 year old!
My point to all this is life is not always fair and sometimes you have to face reality and make the best of it. My guess is Jalen will do exactly that.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
There appears to be 3 or 4 DL that may be able to meaningful contribute.
A few of the top lineman that may be available , interesting two are from Clemson

Sterling Johnson (6-4/305), a rotation defensive lineman at Clemson, is also looking to take a graduate transfer. Johnson appeared in eleven games for the Tigers this season, recording 14 tackles and two sacks in 2017. He was a high school All-American, so the talent is there. And Johnson still has time to make an impact - he's got two years of eligiblity remaining.

Jabril Robinson (6-3/265), a Clemson defensive lineman, has announced his intention to explore the grad transfer market. Robinson played in 11 games for the Tigers in 2017, seeing about 20 snaps per game. He graduated in December. With stiff competition in front of him on the depth chart, it's likely Robinson is looking for more time on the football field somewhere else.

Dylan Thompson (6-5/280), a reserve defensive lineman, is taking a graduate transfer from Ohio State. Thompson's career has been marred by injury and academic issues, and he was able to play his first game for the Buckeyes until 2017. He has one year of eligibility remaining.

Quote:

Syracuse football defensive tackle Kayton Samuels will seek a transfer and use his fifth year of eligibility at another school, he announced Saturday night...

As a graduate transfer, the Georgia native will be eligible to play during the 2018 season.

In 34 career games, Samuels recorded 44 tackles, including 4.5 for loss

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
A few of the top lineman that may be available , interesting two are from Clemson

Sterling Johnson (6-4/305), a rotation defensive lineman at Clemson, is also looking to take a graduate transfer. Johnson appeared in eleven games for the Tigers this season, recording 14 tackles and two sacks in 2017. He was a high school All-American, so the talent is there. And Johnson still has time to make an impact - he's got two years of eligiblity remaining.

Jabril Robinson (6-3/265), a Clemson defensive lineman, has announced his intention to explore the grad transfer market. Robinson played in 11 games for the Tigers in 2017, seeing about 20 snaps per game. He graduated in December. With stiff competition in front of him on the depth chart, it's likely Robinson is looking for more time on the football field somewhere else.

Dylan Thompson (6-5/280), a reserve defensive lineman, is taking a graduate transfer from Ohio State. Thompson's career has been marred by injury and academic issues, and he was able to play his first game for the Buckeyes until 2017. He has one year of eligibility remaining.

Quote:

Syracuse football defensive tackle Kayton Samuels will seek a transfer and use his fifth year of eligibility at another school, he announced Saturday night...

As a graduate transfer, the Georgia native will be eligible to play during the 2018 season.

In 34 career games, Samuels recorded 44 tackles, including 4.5 for loss
Personally, I`d really like to see us pick up one of these guys, two if, God forbid, Barmore fails to qualify. I don`t know if we would have room for two if we pick up the QB that`s expected. Then again, considering what to me is a seemingly unfathomable difficulty with recruiting pure DT`s, I guess I should be happy if we get even one regardless.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Personally, I`d really like to see us pick up one of these guys, two if, God forbid, Barmore fails to qualify. I don`t know if we would have room for two if we pick up the QB that`s expected. Then again, considering what to me is a seemingly unfathomable difficulty with recruiting pure DT`s, I guess I should be happy if we get even one regardless.
You and me both

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Johnson appears to be the guy we need to target since he's a bigger body guy and if not him, Samuels (again, bigger body). We're ok depth wise with the 'smaller' body DL, but don't have depth for the true "bigs".

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I agree. I think one is still a need, and two would be even better.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I agree. I think one is still a need, and two would be even better.
We have two guys on the roster who play the NT position. We have two more coming in this next class in Wynn and Barmore (if qualifies but think he does). I would like to pick up one but if we don't we are still good. I don't think we will sign two.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
We have two guys on the roster who play the NT position. We have two more coming in this next class in Wynn and Barmore (if qualifies but think he does). I would like to pick up one but if we don't we are still good. I don't think we will sign two.
True - but against SEC level play this season, Dwight didn't play much and only had one stop, so that worries me a bit We haven't seen Mathis, so who knows. him redshirting isn't a big deal as a lot of the bigs need time to adjust and get stronger and better conditioned to college but we just don't know what he can do yet.

Barmore likely won't play NT at least not at first since we are reporting his weight as 290 - that makes him more of a DE in our scheme. Wynn might be able to play NT since we've reported him at 308 and he's on campus, but I've heard DE for him also.

Given both freshmen might need an offseason with cochran to be ready for SEC play, getting a big-body 300+ pounder grad transfer who can take some inside reps would seem to be a good idea if we can.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Given both freshmen might need an offseason with cochran to be ready for SEC play, getting a big-body 300+ pounder grad transfer who can take some inside reps would seem to be a good idea if we can.
Flip side of needing an offseason with Cochran is getting a current offseason with Cochran to blow up into a more formidable force in a 320-330 pound frame. Would think there's a candidate or two presently on the roster at a smaller size who fits or "is fit" for such endowment of the art of playing on 'Bama's DL...

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Flip side of needing an offseason with Cochran is getting a current offseason with Cochran to blow up into a more formidable force in a 320-330 pound frame. Would think there's a candidate or two presently on the roster at a smaller size who fits or "is fit" for such endowment of the art of playing on 'Bama's DL...
Good point and there could be a player or two the staff would consider bulking up to move further inside. Looking at the roster I'm not sure who that would be though. Buggs might be the closest, but would we want to bulk him up and slide him in after the year he had from DE? Williams and Ray are certainly more DE than NT material, then there is Davis, who has the mass to slide in, but was also the most productive DE we had on 2017 so I would think the staff wouldn't want him inside full time unless one of the other DEs comes on like gangbusters. As others have said, he's also a bit tall to be the prototype NT and hold the point with a low pad level.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.