Grad Transfer Recruiting 2018 - Page 5
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Grad Transfer Recruiting 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Relayer View Post
    Of course, anything could happen. But I think the genie is out of the bottle (and it ain't going back).
    That is my thinking as well. It stretches credulity to believe that Tua could be brought into a NC game completely cold and manage such a come from behind effort to then ultimately be forced to transfer in order to play. I don't know exactly how the team and coaching staff could be cohesive if we go back to not being able to get the ball out on passing plays.

BamaNation Second Team

I think Tua would have to lose the starting spot now Jalen could win it back but we all seen that 2nd half Tua is a special talent

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Over the years CNS has shown that he values experience, leadership and perseverance from his starters, Jalen checks all the boxes on those attributes. Is this enough to overcome the obvious QB talent differential Tua has shown, I do not know? My point was not to infer that either QB was a shoe-in for the starting spot, but rather we might be wrong to assume that simply a tremendous second half performance by Tua in the NC game wins him the starting nod.

IDK how CNS will handle this, but I do believe that the likelihood of one of them transferring is pretty high and that is why Minshew or some other graduate experienced QB will be brought in as an insurance policy.
    It's not just one second half performance. You saw the glimpses against Fresno State. You saw the magic against Vanderbilt. Tennessee. Ole Miss. Mercer. You heard the rumblings that he would light it up in practice. The only thing you didn't see was him performing at a high level under pressure. Well, we all know how they played out. I love Jalen...but I don't think he is a championship QB.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Over the years CNS has shown that he values experience, leadership and perseverance from his starters, Jalen checks all the boxes on those attributes. Is this enough to overcome the obvious QB talent differential Tua has shown, I do not know? My point was not to infer that either QB was a shoe-in for the starting spot, but rather we might be wrong to assume that simply a tremendous second half performance by Tua in the NC game wins him the starting nod.

I couldn't offer any credible agrument against what you're saying IF the second half of the NC game hadn't happened. BUT IT DID.

Tua had given us reasons during the year to believe he could be a better option than Jalen, but even they biggest Jalen fan can't unsee what Tua did over the course of the year and then in the NC game.

As someone else said, the genie is out of the bottle.

And why would we want to try to put her back in???

Would we want to play teams like A&M, LSU, Auburn, Clemson etc. with a QB that can't move the ball and make first downs? Remember how depressing those games felt? Remember the frustration?

Now, remember the second half of the NC game. Which did you enjoy more?

You don't have to be a football coach to make this call.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by UAH View Post
    That is my thinking as well. It stretches credulity to believe that Tua could be brought into a NC game completely cold and manage such a come from behind effort to then ultimately be forced to transfer in order to play. I don't know exactly how the team and coaching staff could be cohesive if we go back to not being able to get the ball out on passing plays.
    That would be a bad position to be in........dont think it will happen

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I couldn't offer any credible agrument against what you're saying IF the second half of the NC game hadn't happened. BUT IT DID.

Tua had given us reasons during the year to believe he could be a better option than Jalen, but even they biggest Jalen fan can't unsee what Tua did over the course of the year and then in the NC game.

As someone else said, the genie is out of the bottle.

And why would we want to try to put her back in???

Would we want to play teams like A&M, LSU, Auburn, Clemson etc. with a QB that can't move the ball and make first downs? Remember how depressing those games felt? Remember the frustration?

Now, remember the second half of the NC game. Which did you enjoy more?

You don't have to be a football coach to make this call.
    This. All of this. Tua threw for 166 yards in the 2nd half. There were 7 games this year that Jalen did not match that. Tua threw 3 TDs in the 2nd half which is something Jalen has only done twice in 2 seasons(Miss State in '16 and Mercer this year). And a side note...Tua threw for 3 TDs in that Mercer game as well.

Super Moderator

Unless Tua does something "tremendously unwise" (aka "stupid"), the job is his. And yes... I think bringing in a grad transfer is an insurance policy against Hurts either transferring or changing positions.

BamaNation First Team tidefan26's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BAMARICH View Post
    Unless Tua does something "tremendously unwise" (aka "stupid"), the job is his. And yes... I think bringing in a grad transfer is an insurance policy against Hurts either transferring or changing positions.
    How was this ever in question? I think the world of Jalen, but it is not even close when comparing them as quarterbacks. We have tangible proof of this fact.
    Sic semper tyrannis

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Can we get off the subject of Tua/Jalen for now, and focus on Graduate transfers here?
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    Can we get off the subject of Tua/Jalen for now, and focus on Graduate transfers here?
    They work together, so we'll keep discussing it.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    It really is hard though to kind of separate them in a sense that they play in together , I think whether it's a depth issue or transfer possibility....when discussing them all of the above names and possible situations are going to come into play. It's possible that one will have a direct impact or is an influence of the other. RTR
    "I could tell they really didn't want to play against us any longer." - Alabama defensive end Jesse Williams

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    They work together, so we'll keep discussing it.
    Okay RTR, I'm not trying to argue with you, but I don't understand how is that they work together in term of Graduate Transfer and the current QBs on roster? Neither has announced that they were transferring? Neither has the starting job locked down? All we know is that we have a potential QB transfer that might/might not transfer to Alabama and how it can affect the roster at Alabama, but still at the same time, We are discussing the comparison of Tua and Jalen and how The job is Tua's, etc.

I'm not trying to make it difficult here.. just trying to understand this.

Quote Originally Posted by JTBama View Post
    It really is hard though to kind of separate them in a sense that they play in together , I think whether it's a depth issue or transfer possibility....when discussing them all of the above names and possible situations are going to come into play. It's possible that one will have a direct impact or is an influence of the other. RTR
    I get that.... I understand your perspective. The thing is... I don't think it really affect the depth because Saban has always wanted 4 or 5 QBs on the roster and I think Saban is trying to play it safe this year in case Tua or Hurts leave.... and Saban is planning to take 2 qbs in next year class...