Grad Transfer Recruiting 2018 - Page 8
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Grad Transfer Recruiting 2018

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    We have two guys on the roster who play the NT position. We have two more coming in this next class in Wynn and Barmore (if qualifies but think he does). I would like to pick up one but if we don't we are still good. I don't think we will sign two.
    True - but against SEC level play this season, Dwight didn't play much and only had one stop, so that worries me a bit We haven't seen Mathis, so who knows. him redshirting isn't a big deal as a lot of the bigs need time to adjust and get stronger and better conditioned to college but we just don't know what he can do yet.

Barmore likely won't play NT at least not at first since we are reporting his weight as 290 - that makes him more of a DE in our scheme. Wynn might be able to play NT since we've reported him at 308 and he's on campus, but I've heard DE for him also.

Given both freshmen might need an offseason with cochran to be ready for SEC play, getting a big-body 300+ pounder grad transfer who can take some inside reps would seem to be a good idea if we can.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by gtgilbert View Post
    Given both freshmen might need an offseason with cochran to be ready for SEC play, getting a big-body 300+ pounder grad transfer who can take some inside reps would seem to be a good idea if we can.
    Flip side of needing an offseason with Cochran is getting a current offseason with Cochran to blow up into a more formidable force in a 320-330 pound frame. Would think there's a candidate or two presently on the roster at a smaller size who fits or "is fit" for such endowment of the art of playing on 'Bama's DL...

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by TitleWave View Post
    Flip side of needing an offseason with Cochran is getting a current offseason with Cochran to blow up into a more formidable force in a 320-330 pound frame. Would think there's a candidate or two presently on the roster at a smaller size who fits or "is fit" for such endowment of the art of playing on 'Bama's DL...
    Good point and there could be a player or two the staff would consider bulking up to move further inside. Looking at the roster I'm not sure who that would be though. Buggs might be the closest, but would we want to bulk him up and slide him in after the year he had from DE? Williams and Ray are certainly more DE than NT material, then there is Davis, who has the mass to slide in, but was also the most productive DE we had on 2017 so I would think the staff wouldn't want him inside full time unless one of the other DEs comes on like gangbusters. As others have said, he's also a bit tall to be the prototype NT and hold the point with a low pad level.

BamaNation All-American

Think we have an opportunity to be fine at DE IF we needed to ready one to slide down inside.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/in...ve_linema.html
    Add another one to the list, this guy is from Rice.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    Think we have an opportunity to be fine at DE IF we needed to ready one to slide down inside.
    I think so also, the question is which DE is capable of sliding down inside if we need them to.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/in...ve_linema.html
    Add another one to the list, this guy is from Rice.
    I think now that CNS wants to add another DL and will be surprised if we don`t. Just can`t have too many O and D line guys ( and I suppose LB`s ! ).

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    I think now that CNS wants to add another DL and will be surprised if we don`t. Just can`t have too many O and D line guys ( and I suppose LB`s ! ).
    Think we take two DLs, and a QB.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation First Team

Didn’t know if this had been posted yet but here is some highlights of Preston Gordon from Rice posted 2 months ago.

He seems to shed blocks really well and get after the QB.

https://youtu.be/PxF6Nw9A544

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiderollin32 View Post
    Didn’t know if this had been posted yet but here is some highlights of Preston Gordon from Rice posted 2 months ago.

He seems to shed blocks really well and get after the QB.

https://youtu.be/PxF6Nw9A544
    The competition is not real good but he did move around good and got after the QB.

BamaNation All-American

My expert analysis [] is that the DT from the Cuse or Clemson would fit our needs better. Both 300 lbs and both played tougher competition than the fellow from Rice.

Edit
    Samuels from Syracuse is the only 300 pounder. Come on down, Katon!
    Last edited by bama579; February 16th, 2018 at 04:33 PM.

BamaNation First Team

There is a premium article on 247sports that says we might have interest. Sterling Johnson was a former 4 star recruit and started at Clemson.

He is listed as 6’4 300 lbs. Here is an article saying he has or had interest in transferring to Miami when Coach Kulo was there. Might be worth watching.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ajc.c...eH14L/amp.html

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Tiderollin32 View Post
    There is a premium article on 247sports that says we might have interest. Sterling Johnson was a former 4 star recruit and started at Clemson.

He is listed as 6’4 300 lbs. Here is an article saying he has or had interest in transferring to Miami when Coach Kulo was there. Might be worth watching.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ajc.c...eH14L/amp.html
    Would he be eligible immediately ?