Early Signing Period Red Flags

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
i honestly believe 2019 won't be anything like 2018. We won't have to recruit to need so much, so maybe only like 6/7 spots set aside for 'needs'. So, 18 spots to cherry pick the best available. So, less 'slow playing' and more full-court press.
Kinda the way I see it as well.......i look for a huge rebound and a great class

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
-He reevaluated prospects so many times... often changing the priority throughout the process... and it continued all the way to NSD. So part of the problem was the staff and their ability to recruit. He fixed the issues. Brought in younger and fresher guys.

-He slow played lot of guys on different positions. To fix that, I would think he's going to start offering scholarships little earlier and lock down top 50 guys they want to focus on and have plan A, A1, A2, B, B1, B2, etc.

-I think He probably want to have a target goal of getting class of 2019 signed in December and try to get scholarships out to people to give them a chance to consider Alabama little earlier. My guess is that he probably would want to lock down 80 percent of the class in December.

-Those that doesn't sign in December, He would have at least other options and can quickly move on from them. He probably need to tell them that if they don't sign in December, there's a good chance that they may not sign with Bama, due to how Ross and Brown played Alabama and he's determined to not to let that happen again.

Also, Set a deadline for them to make a decision, so that if they don't want to come to alabama, they can move on and find someone else.

-We had unusually amount of players who flipped to another schools so we need to be sure of who we want and not have to flip back and forth deciding whether we want them or not. ( Langham is the perfect example.)

-Saban probably will have to get little involved in recuiting this fall to make sure the staff don't get complacent again. After what happened this season regarding Tua and Jalen... He knows that what he put on the field can affect the future.

Last but not the least:
-Educate Freshmen on how to host potential teammates and teach them not to say wrong thing that could discourage them from coming to Alabama... I think Some of the freshmen influenced the recuiting process... and I don't think Saban will let that happen again.
I think the solution is going to be that ESPN and any other media outlet gives the same amount of coverage on the early signing day as they currently do on NSD. Any prospect that wants to wait late is obviously having issues deciding where they want to go.

It was grossly unfair to other prospects for the misleading of ANY coaches as to intent to sign. The kids that really wanted to go to a certain school and was a Plan B with that school, basically got screwed... :rolleyes:

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Of course, we don't really have enough facts to say just exactly how these recruits were handled or what they were telling the coaches. That said I think Saban and staff learn from this and have a better handle on how they will run it next year. Can't take two to get that process down. I agree that unless one is a super- stud, must-have-at-all-costs player, he better sign in December or we move on.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
There are certain players like Surtain for instance that you do whatever you can to get them to come, but aside from the "takes" any player that does NOT sign in the early period I'd consider 100% uncommitted no matter what they tell you. If they were 100% committed they would have already signed. When we slow play a kids because they are lower on the board we set ourselves up for failure because being the top program in College football every kid wants to be recruited by us even if they have no intention of ever signing. We lost players this cycle because players were playing a stupid game with us.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I just think the whole damned thing was off balance. New system, staff almost completely turning over ( at least most of the major positions ), sub-par year in state talent wise, etc., etc. Perfect storm. As has been said, even with all that, a top 10 class with most ( not all ) needs met. Taking all into consideration, I have no reason to think it was anything but a bump in the road. Now next year? If we maintain our coaching staff and they`re the recruiters we all believe and hope they will be? I`ll start to be concerned if we don`t have a class in the top 5. Top 5 and not necessarily #1 because I personally believe that the recruiting difficulty chart is going up logarithmically. That`s primarily due to the Saban disciples that are now recruiting against us. Having said that, I firmly believe that with CNS and the staffs he`s shown the ability to build, top 10, much less top 5 classes consistently will keep us very much in the hunt for playoff berths as long as he`s at UA.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Too little data - we don't know how many of these were guys changing minds because they weren't 100% sure or guys leaving because the coaching staff essentially completely changed in one off-season.

Give it a year or three and we'll have a better handle, but the smallish class combined with the huge turnover in staff make it virtually impossible to know why Bama didn't finish in typical fashion.

That said, I suspect 2019 will be sick once again, as Bama will have more spaces available and the staff will almost certainly see far less change. Oh, and Saban upgraded the recruiting staff across the board - that certainly can't hurt...
I'm sure by next year Saban will have completely figured out how he can manipulate this new signing format. Then once people see what he's doing there will be a "rule change" because that's what others scream when Saban figures out a way to stay one step ahead of them no matter the system in place.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I'm sure by next year Saban will have completely figured out how he can manipulate this new signing format. Then once people see what he's doing there will be a "rule change" because that's what others scream when Saban figures out a way to stay one step ahead of them no matter the system in place.
10-4 that!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.