Any guesses as to what the depth chart going into 2018 will be ?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Could see some of the young DB`s moving to S. As we know and at the risk of stating the obvious, we have a chance to be really good this year, ridiculously so on O. If some of the new guys, other than the DB`s who we`re really counting on, can contribute, all bets are off as to how far we can go. The new coaching staff really does have some top drawer ingredients with which to work.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
That's a good start.

Both Anoma and Davis are initially penciled in at OLB (rolltide.com signing class bios list OLB as their position) though they could grow into DEs for sure so I'd only tweak a few spots, then switch Moody to backing up the ILB spots only. Where the 4 new OLBs end up is certainly a wild guess, other than Parks. At 260 he's a JACK. We'll have to see what the other guys grow into since they're all starting from the 235ish range.

We are INSANELY deep at OLB now. Unless we have another crazy injury run, I see some of these guys redshirting so we might have the option of having them in different graduating years.

Our rush packages and rotation possibilities are probably making Tosh do a happy dance.

We're ok depth wise for the 'lighter' DE spot, but not so deep at the other two DL positions, so either someone needs to grow, a current OL who played D in HS needs to move over, or we get a transfer of some sort. I could also see us switching to more 2DL and 2OLBs for the nickel package instead of 3DL and 1OLB.

I've shuffled the OL a bit also. leatherwood was awesome in relief, but Williams was a top level player all year so if anyone moves to OC I think it's Ross, then Willis slides into that OG spot until we have another OT slot open when Williams leaves after 18.

LT: Williams/Lashley/Tommy Brown
LG: Willis/Brown/Emil Ekiyor
C: Piersbacher/Kennedy/Emil Ekiyor
RG: Cotton/Petibon/Emil Ekiyor
RT: Leatherwood/Womack/Tommy Brown

TE: Hentges/Tennison/Forristall/Michael Parker
HB: Smith/Clark/Forristall

RB: D. Harris/N. Harris/Jacobs/BRob/Jerome Ford and/or Slade Bolden
QB: Tua/Hurts/Mac Jones/Braxton Barker

WR/Slot: Ruggs III/Jaylen Waddle and/or Slade Bolden/Kief
WR/FL: Smith/Townsend/Xavier Williams
WR/SE: Jeudy/Shavers/Xavier Williams

DT/E: Buggs/Ray/Christian Barmore
NG: Mathis/Dwight/Stephon Wynn
DE: Davis/Williams/Stephon Wynn

Jack: Jennings/Lewis/Chris Allen/Jarez Parks/Eyabi Anoma
Sam: Miller/Mosley/Cameron Latu/Jordan Davis
Will: Moses/Cowan/Jaylen Moody (Holcombe if still here as #2 ahead of Cowan)Mike: Wilson/Benton/Jaylen Moody (Ben Davis in the mix here possibly)

CB: Patrick Surtain, Jr or Savion Smith/Mayden/Josh Jobe or Jalyn Armour-Davis/Eddie Smith
CB: Savion Smith or Patrick Surtain, Jr Carter/Knott/Josh Jobe or Jalyn Armour-Davis/Eddie Smith
FS: Thompson/Wright
SS: McKinney/Wright/Diggs
Nickel/Dime Back: Mayden/Carter/Knott

P: Skylar DeLong
K: Austin Jones/Bulovas

KR: Ruggs III or Jaylen Waddle or Jerome Ford??

PR: Jaylen Waddle/Diggs or Ruggs III
Based on what I saw the past two years I think Jonah Williams is more comfortable at the RT spot (than LT), plus that's likely going to be the QB's blind side anyway. Leatherwood looked more than competent at LT in the UGA game. Therefore I think I'd predict Leatherwood at LT and Williams at RT.

Last edited:

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Based on what I saw the past two years I think Jonah Williams is more comfortable at the RT spot (than LT), plus that's likely going to be the QB's blind side anyway. Leatherwood looked more than competent at LT in the UGA game. Therefore I think I'd predict Leatherwood at LT and Williams at RT.
Could very well happen but what do you do with Womack and Wills ? Both of them are starting caliber players. Womack obviously started all of 2017. The depth on the offensive line is just staggering. Scott Lashley, the third team left tackle right now, would be a starter at a lot of schools.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
and what if he's not?
I'll bite. My answer is we'll win most games and struggle in big games when the defense can load the box and make Jalen throw.

There's plenty of history at this point to know this was not a problem in just a game or two for Jalen. It was his norm.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
After watching Jaylen Waddle's highlights, it's clear to me that he is very similar to Percy Harvin. He is absolutely electrifying and can change a game in an instant. He has tremendous speed and quickness. Some guys are fast but not quick or vice versa. Waddle is both. He will make an instant impact.
I love the comparision and hope Waddle can be in PH's zip code.

As far as him possibly being a kick or punt returner, if he just "starred" in this one area it would add an element we've struggled with in the last few years. It's been a while since we've had a difference maker, especially a reliable punt returner that could FIRST AND FOREMOST catch the ball consistently AND THEN flip the field with return skills.

Hope Waddle can live up to the hype!!!

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Really hope we can land a junior college or transfer player on the defensive line before the season starts. Have to have more depth there.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
After watching Jaylen Waddle's highlights, it's clear to me that he is very similar to Percy Harvin. He is absolutely electrifying and can change a game in an instant. He has tremendous speed and quickness. Some guys are fast but not quick or vice versa. Waddle is both. He will make an instant impact.
He reminds me of David Palmer.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I love the comparision and hope Waddle can be in PH's zip code.

As far as him possibly being a kick or punt returner, if he just "starred" in this one area it would add an element we've struggled with in the last few years. It's been a while since we've had a difference maker, especially a reliable punt returner that could FIRST AND FOREMOST catch the ball consistently AND THEN flip the field with return skills.

Hope Waddle can live up to the hype!!!
Cyrus Jones was an exceptional returner in 2015 and Eddie Jackson was as well before he got hurt in 2016. His loss was significant in several ways.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Could very well happen but what do you do with Womack and Wills ? Both of them are starting caliber players. Womack obviously started all of 2017. The depth on the offensive line is just staggering. Scott Lashley, the third team left tackle right now, would be a starter at a lot of schools.
I could see Williams at RT and leatherwood at LT. I'm sure the coaches will figure that balance out

with either wills or Womack, I'd have them compete for the open inside spot.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
With the talent and depth accrued there is no excuse in this offensive line not being outstanding. The group will be chock full of four and five star studs.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
With the talent and depth accrued there is no excuse in this offensive line not being outstanding. The group will be chock full of four and five star studs.
I think it`s pretty obvious that we should be able to expect this O to be able to keep the D off the field for protracted periods of time against everybody we play, certainly in the regular season. One would hope that this O line will enable us to do just about anything we need to scheme wise.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Cyrus Jones was an exceptional returner in 2015 and Eddie Jackson was as well before he got hurt in 2016. His loss was significant in several ways.
Maybe you're memory is better than mine. I'm not saying they weren't good and I do think Eddie was turning into something maybe better than good. They had some plays, but the point I made though is about a real difference maker who was a real threat every time they touched it. Don't think those guys ever reached a Percy Harvin or David Palmer level.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Maybe you're memory is better than mine. I'm not saying they weren't good and I do think Eddie was turning into something maybe better than good. They had some plays, but the point I made though is about a real difference maker who was a real threat every time they touched it. Don't think those guys ever reached a Percy Harvin or David Palmer level.
Players like Palmer and Harvin don't come along often. They're once in a decade type players. Jackson and Jones were still damn good though. Both of them are cashing NFL paychecks right now. Hopefully Waddle or someone else on the roster can take it to the next level.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I`m trying to remember the last returner ( kick offs or punts) that opposing teams actually kicked away from because they were so dangerous. Was it David P ?

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I`m trying to remember the last returner ( kick offs or punts) that opposing teams actually kicked away from because they were so dangerous. Was it David P ?
Arenas was awesome - one of my all-time favorite Bama players. Agree that Cyrus Jones and Eddie Jackson were productive punt returners. We’ve not had a consistent threat since EJ was injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Arenas and Prothro (pre injury) were awesome. Such a shame about Prothro.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Clemson was intentionally kicking away from Cyrus Jones in the 2016 national championship game. He had burned Michigan State badly the week prior.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
That is high high praise on the college level. I remember opposing fans would have the little spinning card that said all of Florida plays were for Harvin in some fashion. They don't win that championship with out him.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Only thing that worries me about Waddle as a WR is that he seems to catch with his body too often. That shouldn't impact his PR/KR ability though

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.