Any guesses as to what the depth chart going into 2018 will be ?

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Now that the 2018 signing class is in the books, what does the org chart look like going into spring and where could some of the newcomers make an impact right away ?

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
As long as QB1 is Tagovailoa, we'll be alright, alright, alright.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
AFTER DRAFT ANNOUNCMENTS:

LT: Leatherwood/Lashley/Tommy Brown
LG: Piresbacher/Brown/Emil Ekiyor
C: Williams/Kennedy/Emil Ekiyor
RG: Cotton/Petibon/Emil Ekiyor
RT: Willis/Womack/Tommy Brown

TE: Hentges/Tennison/Forristall/Michael Parker
HB: Smith/Clark/Forristall

RB: D. Harris/N. Harris/Jacobs/BRob/Jerome Ford and/or Slade Bolden
QB: Tua/Hurts/Mac Jones/Braxton Barker

WR/Slot: Ruggs III/Jaylen Waddle and/or Slade Bolden/Jerome Ford?/Kief
WR/FL: Smith/Townsend/Xavier Williams
WR/SE: Jeudy/Shavers/Xavier Williams

DT/E: Buggs/Ray/Christian Barmore
NG: Mathis/Dwight
DE: Davis/Williams/Eyabi Anoma/Jordan Davis/Stephon Wynn

Jack: Jennings/Lewis/Jarez Parks or Cameron Latu
Sam: Miller/Mosley/Jaylen Moody
Will: Moses/Cowan/Jarez Parks or Cameron Latu
Mike: Wilson/Benton/Jaylen Moody

CB: Patrick Surtain, Jr or Savion Smith/Mayden/Josh Jobe or Jalyn Armour-Davis/Eddie Smith
CB: Savion Smith or Patrick Surtain, Jr Carter/Knott/Josh Jobe or Jalyn Armour-Davis/Eddie Smith
FS: Thompson/Wright
SS: McKinney/Wright/Diggs
Nickel/Dime Back: Mayden/Carter/Knott

P: Skylar DeLong
K: Austin Jones/Bulovas

KR: Ruggs III or Jaylen Waddle or Jerome Ford??

PR: Jaylen Waddle/Diggs or Ruggs III
Here is RTO's guess from about 3 weeks ago. I'll add in our new recruits/transfers in Bold as wild...WILD guesses as well as any other notable players left off that I can think of. We have a lot of newcomers who can play in multiple spots.

Last edited:

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Here is RTO's guess from about 3 weeks ago. I'll add in our new recruits/transfers in Bold as wild...WILD guesses as well as any other notable players left off that I can think of. We have a lot of newcomers who can play in multiple spots.
QB looks like a strength for the first time in a long time

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
QB looks like a strength for the first time in a long time
I agree and it has probably never been better in modern Alabama football if things don't change from now through the fall.

Tua is ELITE in a way we've only seen from McCarron. A True Gunslinger Playmaker!! But Tua has a quicker release and is also probably ahead of AJ with scanning the field and making decisions at this point in their careers.

He will have a more talented group of WR's to throw to as well. I mean DeVonta Smith, Jeudy, Ruggs III and now this Waddle kid??!! It should almost be illegal to have the offensive weapons we have right now.

Throw in Jalen having 2 full years of starting experience including 3.5 playoff games and an SECCG and that's as solid as it gets with depth with experience.

Mac Jones is no scrub either and people tend to forget about him. He was a Top 10 4-Star Pro Style QB recruit who is still just a RS Freshman and he looks like he gained at least 15-20 lbs from last spring until now.

CNS is hinting at bringing in a graduate transfer QB a well and I imagine that's insurance just in case anyone decides they no longer want to compete.

Braxton Barker is the only guy I absolutely have no knowledge of other than him being Jay's kid. But if he's anything like his Dad then we know he's a Winner.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I think Kedrick James may switch to DL with his height and weight. He was listed at 6-5, 270 last year and briefly played with the DL during fall camp I believe. I have a hunch they move him to that group with the depth at tight end. Of course, there may be a couple of graduate transfers. Patrick Surtain could easily start at corner the second he gets on campus. His highlights are awesome. Almost a clone of Patrick Peterson.

Last edited:

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
After watching Jaylen Waddle's highlights, it's clear to me that he is very similar to Percy Harvin. He is absolutely electrifying and can change a game in an instant. He has tremendous speed and quickness. Some guys are fast but not quick or vice versa. Waddle is both. He will make an instant impact.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
After watching Jaylen Waddle's highlights, it's clear to me that he is very similar to Percy Harvin. He is absolutely electrifying and can change a game in an instant. He has tremendous speed and quickness. Some guys are fast but not quick or vice versa. Waddle is both. He will make an instant impact.
Punt Returns???

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
That's a good start.

Both Anoma and Davis are initially penciled in at OLB (rolltide.com signing class bios list OLB as their position) though they could grow into DEs for sure so I'd only tweak a few spots, then switch Moody to backing up the ILB spots only. Where the 4 new OLBs end up is certainly a wild guess, other than Parks. At 260 he's a JACK. We'll have to see what the other guys grow into since they're all starting from the 235ish range.

We are INSANELY deep at OLB now. Unless we have another crazy injury run, I see some of these guys redshirting so we might have the option of having them in different graduating years.

Our rush packages and rotation possibilities are probably making Tosh do a happy dance.

We're ok depth wise for the 'lighter' DE spot, but not so deep at the other two DL positions, so either someone needs to grow, a current OL who played D in HS needs to move over, or we get a transfer of some sort. I could also see us switching to more 2DL and 2OLBs for the nickel package instead of 3DL and 1OLB.

I've shuffled the OL a bit also. leatherwood was awesome in relief, but Williams was a top level player all year so if anyone moves to OC I think it's Ross, then Willis slides into that OG spot until we have another OT slot open when Williams leaves after 18.

LT: Williams/Lashley/Tommy Brown
LG: Willis/Brown/Emil Ekiyor
C: Piersbacher/Kennedy/Emil Ekiyor
RG: Cotton/Petibon/Emil Ekiyor
RT: Leatherwood/Womack/Tommy Brown

TE: Hentges/Tennison/Forristall/Michael Parker
HB: Smith/Clark/Forristall

RB: D. Harris/N. Harris/Jacobs/BRob/Jerome Ford and/or Slade Bolden
QB: Tua/Hurts/Mac Jones/Braxton Barker

WR/Slot: Ruggs III/Jaylen Waddle and/or Slade Bolden/Kief
WR/FL: Smith/Townsend/Xavier Williams
WR/SE: Jeudy/Shavers/Xavier Williams

DT/E: Buggs/Ray/Christian Barmore
NG: Mathis/Dwight/Stephon Wynn
DE: Davis/Williams/Stephon Wynn

Jack: Jennings/Lewis/Chris Allen/Jarez Parks/Eyabi Anoma
Sam: Miller/Mosley/Cameron Latu/Jordan Davis
Will: Moses/Cowan/Jaylen Moody (Holcombe if still here as #2 ahead of Cowan)Mike: Wilson/Benton/Jaylen Moody (Ben Davis in the mix here possibly)

CB: Patrick Surtain, Jr or Savion Smith/Mayden/Josh Jobe or Jalyn Armour-Davis/Eddie Smith
CB: Savion Smith or Patrick Surtain, Jr Carter/Knott/Josh Jobe or Jalyn Armour-Davis/Eddie Smith
FS: Thompson/Wright
SS: McKinney/Wright/Diggs
Nickel/Dime Back: Mayden/Carter/Knott

P: Skylar DeLong
K: Austin Jones/Bulovas

KR: Ruggs III or Jaylen Waddle or Jerome Ford??

PR: Jaylen Waddle/Diggs or Ruggs III

Last edited:

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Still believe that Kedrick James makes the move to defensive end for depth purposes at the very least. Tight end is deep and he is probably 290 by now. He was listed at 6-5, 270 as a freshman last season. I believe he played D end some in high school. A graduate transfer may be added, too. Long way to go before the 2018 season and things will shake out. After the injury situation last year, nothing worries me now.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Alabama currently has 18 players on scholarship on the offensive line. One or two will either transfer or switch positions. Kendall Randolph is a guy not to forget about. He red shirted last year but was one hell of a lineman in his own right at Bob Jones in Huntsville. Chris Owens is also still there last time I checked.

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Still believe that Kedrick James makes the move to defensive end for depth purposes at the very least. Tight end is deep and he is probably 290 by now. He was listed at 6-5, 270 as a freshman last season. I believe he played D end some in high school. A graduate transfer may be added, too. Long way to go before the 2018 season and things will shake out. After the injury situation last year, nothing worries me now.
I vaguely remember something about him getting some early reps there in summer, but them moving back. TE is really loaded now so I could see him switching back over.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I can't wait to see what Dylan Moses does this year as a starter. He was playing great until he got hurt. He and Mack Wilson in the middle will be a formidable duo.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.