Post 2018 and looking to 2019

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
A lot of folks are down on the '18 class, but it's just a matter of perspective. There were only five schools that signed at least three 5-stars: Georgia, Clemson, USC, Ohio State, and Bama. Naturally, Georgia received all of the attention because of the class they signed. But we were never going to sign a better class than Georgia because of the room they had and the in-state talent they had.

If you're being objective, we filled positions of need with high quality talent and saved spots for a '19 class that seems to be much more ripe in terms of in-state talent. Sure, it hurts not to finish #1 in recruiting, but we're in fine shape.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: My Take On Where the Program Is With Recruiting

I wanted to throw my two cents worth into the discussion that is happening in several other threads as it relates to this years recruiting class.

We all know this run will end. It's not even a dynasty anymore. It's whatever is past a dynasty. We need a knew name for it, and I think it will continue for at least a couple of more years, maybe more. The issue is the foundation will start to crack at some point, and the place it may do that is in recruiting. Bama brought in a really good class, and several of those guys are going to be difference makers, but it wasn't up to the usual standard from the past 10 years.

This class may be an anomaly, and I hope it is. There was the new early signing period that the staff and CNS may not have handled as well as they could have, and that is very correctable. We had a tremendous amount of staff turnover. Some of that turn over was regrettable. I would have loved to keep Pruitt one more year, and I think that was the thought around the program. I don't blame Pruitt for taking the Viles job. It's a big time job, and if he brings them back to some level of prominence he can write his own paycheck there or somewhere else. I've also read and listened to podcasts that say he left on good terms and did it the right way, and the on field performance of the defense in the play offs reflect that. This fact may even open a door for him to return at a later time. I wouldn't mind that at all if he shows that he can handle the big chair at a place like UT with Fat Phil looking over his shoulder that will be impressive.
Anything ranked within the top ten is championship level recruiting. ESPN had us ranked at #4 when it was all said and done. I saw a segment on College Football Live with Tom Luginbill and he was addressing the "disappointed" Alabama fans who thought the sky was falling because we didn't finish #1 like we're used to finishing. He said (and I agree with him) that a top 5 class is an excellent recruiting class and isn't a sign of "trouble" or anything "ending". I am not disappointed in this class whatsoever. If we don't finish number one next year, but still finish with a top ten or top five class I'll still be happy. The development is the biggest key. Which we're one of if not the best in the country at developing players to excel within our system.

Bamabirdie

Scout Team
Dec 24, 2013
Sunny South Florida
Re: My Take On Where the Program Is With Recruiting

Anything ranked within the top ten is championship level recruiting. ESPN had us ranked at #4 when it was all said and done. I saw a segment on College Football Live with Tom Luginbill and he was addressing the "disappointed" Alabama fans who thought the sky was falling because we didn't finish #1 like we're used to finishing. He said (and I agree with him) that a top 5 class is an excellent recruiting class and isn't a sign of "trouble" or anything "ending". I am not disappointed in this class whatsoever. If we don't finish number one next year, but still finish with a top ten or top five class I'll still be happy. The development is the biggest key. Which we're one of if not the best in the country at developing players to excel within our system.
I confess: I drank a lot of Kool-Aid before yesterday, and halfway expected Bama to jump all the way to the top ranking.
The fact that it did not happen is nothing more than mildly disappointing.
The staff recruited according to the biggest needs...and seems to have addressed them very well.
As for in-state recruiting, after the last ten years, why is that of any importance whatsoever?
Five national championships in nine years speaks for itself, doesn’t it?
Free tip of the week:
Sit back, relax, and enjoy The Process for as long as it lasts.
RTR.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Auburn uses the "I would rather have an in-state kid because it means more to him" line on players. I know they used it on some recruits this year.

No, we shouldn't ignore top 100 national guys just to sign a 3* from the state because he grew up cheering for Alabama. We do, however, need to be mindful of the in-state guys that could make a difference. Let's not take those guys for granted and assume they'll come running when Bama needs a fallback plan the last week of January.
I seriously doubt that Saban has that mindset. He evaluates the player (no matter where they are from) and recruits accordingly...:wink:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Al.com's early look at best 2019 in-state prospects.

Here
Lot's of offers already out. Of course, we don't know who, if any, have a green light for commitment.

I do hope we get Taulia and Tyson. It would be just wrong for Tyson to be anywhere else and Taulia looks legit as slightly for famous big brother!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.