Post 2018 and looking to 2019

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
1) This was going to be a weird feel out year with early signing period.
2) Georgia was always going to have a good class look at the instate talent
3) We went and took the best slot KR/PR guy out of Texas and only school to get a top 15 instate guy there ( He is a top 15 type recruit)
4) Coaching turnover and complacency (by coaches that are no longer here) killed us this year
5) In state recruiting next year is probably the best in years ( three Qb's likely in the top 100) Yes I believe we get Tyson and lil Tua
6) I think you will see the process speed up going forward and perhaps even summer official visits (Can't remember if this rule changed for the upcoming class or not
7) Our new coaches are young and hungry watch out on the trail
8) I hope we don't sign grad tansfers or anyone else and use those spots for early entries for 19 ( you can back count up to 5 if you didn't sign a full class)
9) Our OL will come from mostly instate next year from Webb , Quick , and Knight
10) don't discount we swiped a long time LSU lean and the most college ready CB since Minka to go along with the other Jobe , Smith (who will be the steal of this class with the Philly DL) etc
11) Enjoy the ride Saban has a plan lol

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I don't see us getting both Taulia and Tyson.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
3) We went and took the best slot KR/PR guy out of Texas and only school to get a top 15 instate guy there ( He is a top 15 type recruit)
4) Coaching turnover and complacency (by coaches that are no longer here) killed us this year
5) In state recruiting next year is probably the best in years ( three Qb's likely in the top 100) Yes I believe we get Tyson and lil Tua
6) I think you will see the process speed up going forward and perhaps even summer official visits (Can't remember if this rule changed for the upcoming class or not
8) I hope we don't sign grad tansfers or anyone else and use those spots for early entries for 19 ( you can back count up to 5 if you didn't sign a full class)
9) Our OL will come from mostly instate next year from Webb , Quick , and Knight
10) don't discount we swiped a long time LSU lean and the most college ready CB since Minka to go along with the other Jobe , Smith (who will be the steal of this class with the Philly DL) etc
The narrative last summer for the drop off in recruiting was that the coaches were pickier on who was offered. Is that still true or was it just spin to cover for the bad performance from the coordinators?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
The narrative last summer for the drop off in recruiting was that the coaches were pickier on who was offered. Is that still true or was it just spin to cover for the bad performance from the coordinators?

It's not mutually exclusive. What if they focused scholarships on guys that fit the process but that they didn't think they would have to work hard to get or keep, and then somebody out worked them and made up the ground?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
It's not mutually exclusive. What if they focused scholarships on guys that fit the process but that they didn't think they would have to work hard to get or keep, and then somebody out worked them and made up the ground?

I was thinking that the slow play strategy was the wrong call when we started striking out on plan A. The backup plan recruits didn't seem to want to play for Bama like years past.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
My Take On Where the Program Is With Recruiting

I wanted to throw my two cents worth into the discussion that is happening in several other threads as it relates to this years recruiting class.

We all know this run will end. It's not even a dynasty anymore. It's whatever is past a dynasty. We need a knew name for it, and I think it will continue for at least a couple of more years, maybe more. The issue is the foundation will start to crack at some point, and the place it may do that is in recruiting. Bama brought in a really good class, and several of those guys are going to be difference makers, but it wasn't up to the usual standard from the past 10 years.

This class may be an anomaly, and I hope it is. There was the new early signing period that the staff and CNS may not have handled as well as they could have, and that is very correctable. We had a tremendous amount of staff turnover. Some of that turn over was regrettable. I would have loved to keep Pruitt one more year, and I think that was the thought around the program. I don't blame Pruitt for taking the Viles job. It's a big time job, and if he brings them back to some level of prominence he can write his own paycheck there or somewhere else. I've also read and listened to podcasts that say he left on good terms and did it the right way, and the on field performance of the defense in the play offs reflect that. This fact may even open a door for him to return at a later time. I wouldn't mind that at all if he shows that he can handle the big chair at a place like UT with Fat Phil looking over his shoulder that will be impressive.

I do think some of staff weren't great recruiters which is unusual for a CNS staff. I'm of the mind that if Dunbar dropped the ball on Langham then he may need to go. I don't know for sure if that happened, but CNS does know. Daboll may not have been as involved in recruiting as he should have been either. The staff has been overhauled now, and I'm really excited about the prospects of a young staff growing under CNS and staying intact for a couple of years. That too may help in recruiting.

Another issue is the overhaul of coaching in the SEC and even the ACC teams in the southeast. That scum bag Kirby is recruiting well. I hope he's cheating and gets busted on an Ole Miss level after what he did when leaving Bama, the recruiting board, negative recruiting, and flat out lying to recruits about Bama and CNS. That little sleaze ball wouldn't be where he is today without CNS and may God have mercy on him because I would have none. I'm not bitter or anything.

The other guys are flashy hires as well. They are younger than CNS and good recruiters. Pruitt falls into this category. I'm not sold Fisher will do anything, but turn A&M into a dumpster fire like he did at FSU. He wasn't liked by administration or boosters there, but he has shown he can recruit players to his program. I put Dabo in this category. He's been there a long time, but he's younger and very charismatic. Taggert at FSU may be a problem as well when it comes to pulling guys out of Florida and all over the southeast. Mullen at UF is to me the best hire of the offseason. I like it better that Kelly to UCLA. I may be wrong, but that guy did more with less at MSU. He got them to number 1, and they were fielding good teams with lesser facilities, history, and players. That guy can coach in my opinion. Richt seems reenergized at UM. He's always recruited well. He's just struggled to close the deal on the field. His recruiting could pull guys from us that have come out of South Florida. Muschamp is also doing a good job at USCe. I like the direction of that program right now. He may not sustain it, but he has it on the upswing at the moment. My point is it's gonna get tougher to bring in good players.

There are some bright spots. I think Louisiana is wide open and so is Mississippi, and instate recruiting is gonna be good next year as well. I think the Barn is on the way to a meltdown, and I'm not sold ole trashy Kirby is going to be able to keep the on the field performance where it is now. He was playing with Richt's players kind of like Tiny Terry Bowden at the barn with Dye's players. I want to see if he can coach up these players he's bringing in. He may do it, but it's not a certainty. Especially when other programs start raiding his staff. Like happens to CNS year after year.

My final thought is that the foundation of this program has been recruiting, and if that starts to slip it will be the crack in the foundation that will eventually see CNS retire to the lake and feed the ducks. I know it will happen at some point, and it will be sad, but what ride we are on as Bama fans. I can't thank CNS and Mal Moore enough for the joy they have made college football for me since '08. This year may be a blip on the radar and this whole thing rolls on for another 6 or so years. I hope that is the case, but if next year looks like this one when it comes to recruiting I think we will all look back to this recruiting class and say this was the moment it all started to come to a close for this Bama empire.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Love this post Jam! The thing about our program under Saban is that is seems to be constantly evolving. We just signed a top 5 class but feeling like we had a down year. Nick does a major reshuffle of the coaching staff and suddenly we have the eye of the Tiger back and chomping at the bit on next years class - all just off coming on the heels of anther National Championship. Man, I love this stuff :D

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't follow recruiting as closely as some but am starting to get more into it. Do you guys have a list of some players who are big names to watch for 2019? (apart from the guys who are already committed)

I know the 2 QBs (Taulia and Tyson) but I assume we will need to sign some WRs after missing on a couple guys in this class.

Last edited:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I think we sometimes focus too much on national recruiting and not enough on in state kids. Players in Alabama generally grow up dreaming of playing for Alabama and to use a worn out cliché " it just means more to instate kids.". I think in state players should get an extra boost on our recruiting board. We've given the state to the Aubies by default. They signed 4 of the top 6 kids in state this year. We possibly missed on the Langham kid partially because he felt he was a 2nd choice on our board. I realize there are some kids so talented, you just have to take even if they are not local kids. We need to dominate the state of Alabama 1st and then look for outside kids.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Auburn uses the "I would rather have an in-state kid because it means more to him" line on players. I know they used it on some recruits this year.

No, we shouldn't ignore top 100 national guys just to sign a 3* from the state because he grew up cheering for Alabama. We do, however, need to be mindful of the in-state guys that could make a difference. Let's not take those guys for granted and assume they'll come running when Bama needs a fallback plan the last week of January.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I think Saban is far from the twilight of his career......only he knows when that time will come and when it does, he has earned it......otherwise he wouldn't have brought in all the new coaches and recruiters. I look for a redoubled effort fueled by a fire to be on top, and I feel next year Bama will get the instate players........and get the national ones as well. And knowing him he is already at work getting it done

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Auburn uses the "I would rather have an in-state kid because it means more to him" line on players. I know they used it on some recruits this year.

No, we shouldn't ignore top 100 national guys just to sign a 3* from the state because he grew up cheering for Alabama. We do, however, need to be mindful of the in-state guys that could make a difference. Let's not take those guys for granted and assume they'll come running when Bama needs a fallback plan the last week of January.
No, I don't believe we should take a 3* instead of a top 100 player, but I do think we should dominate the top 10 in Alabama year in year out. I just think we'll be better off in the long run. The "Alabama Brand" is more recognizable than ever nationally, but it may not always be that way. In state players need to be a priority or we'll lose the relationships with the in state coaches which will eventually hurt recruiting.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I think Saban is far from the twilight of his career......only he knows when that time will come and when it does, he has earned it......otherwise he wouldn't have brought in all the new coaches and recruiters. I look for a redoubled effort fueled by a fire to be on top, and I feel next year Bama will get the instate players........and get the national ones as well. And knowing him he is already at work getting it done
I agree with you that the effort is going to be there. The overhaul of the staff, and the kind of coaches brought in shows that, but it will all end at some point. Father time is undefeated not only when it comes to players, but coaches as well. I am hopeful that next year will bring a bumper crop in recruiting, and I won't be surprised at all if that happens. We as a fan base have to be realistic, and know that is hard, about the fact that as CNS continues to age recruiting will become more difficult. It happened to Coach Bryant, Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, and guys like Frank Beamer. It's the reality of the profession. I think there are still some good days ahead, but the sun is sinking towards twilight. I don't know when but it can happen quickly. Coach Bryant is a great example of that. He did have some major health issues that CNS is not facing at this point in his career. One day I looked up and Bobby Bowden was done and everyone knew it but him apparently.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I agree......it will definitely end and will have been one heck of a ride.....but I will enjoy it while I can. One thing is for sure.......i look for Bama to get another good one, and win a few more NCs before it's all said and done

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I don't see us getting both Taulia and Tyson.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
We are going to take two QB's in the '19 class and all of our QB prospects will know this. I think it is very possible we sign both since I think they both are competitors and both want to come to Bama IMO.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I don't follow recruiting as closely as some but am starting to get more into it. Do you guys have a list of some players who are big names to watch for 2019? (apart from the guys who are already committed)

I know the 2 QBs (Taulia and Tyson) but I assume we will need to sign some WRs after missing on a couple guys in this class.
Here is 247Sports '19 national recruiting list.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/Recruits

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Or in the Iron Bowl, where it just means more.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think we sometimes focus too much on national recruiting and not enough on in state kids. Players in Alabama generally grow up dreaming of playing for Alabama and to use a worn out cliché " it just means more to instate kids.". I think in state players should get an extra boost on our recruiting board. We've given the state to the Aubies by default. They signed 4 of the top 6 kids in state this year. We possibly missed on the Langham kid partially because he felt he was a 2nd choice on our board. I realize there are some kids so talented, you just have to take even if they are not local kids. We need to dominate the state of Alabama 1st and then look for outside kids.
National recruiting is the reason we have won 5 NC's in the past 9 years. The '18 class in-state talent was not as good as it typically is. There was only one top 100 recruit in Ross and we signed the 2nd highest rated player in Armour-Davis at #107. The in-state talent in '19 is much better and we will sign quite a few Alabama recruits. There are only a handful of programs that can recruit nationally and we are the best at it so I hope we continue what we have been doing that has brought us so much success.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Or in the Iron Bowl, where it just means more.

I do think there is a correlation. We won't ignore the top players nationally, nor should we, but it would be nice, when room will allow, to have the top players from the state.

We got away with "murder" this year. Most years we can't lose to Auburn and expect to still get in the playoff.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.