This DB Class

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I am certain that we signed 5 of the top 7 on our board. Not the recruiting site rankings, but our staff's board.

That is incredible.

Savion Smith was #1 regardless of classification.
Surtain was #1 HS recruit.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I would expect Savion to start immediately and Surtain to at worst be a depth player and at best beat out Diggs and Co. for a starting job by the end of the season.

I'm really excited about Surtain's future. It sounds like he could be a once in a generation type of guy. Coached by his Dad but with the athleticism and measurements of a Patrick Peterson.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I would expect Savion to start immediately and Surtain to at worst be a depth player and at best beat out Diggs and Co. for a starting job by the end of the season.

I'm really excited about Surtain's future. It sounds like he could be a once in a generation type of guy. Coached by his Dad but with the athleticism and measurements of a Patrick Peterson.
Once in a generation? We get those every other year it seems.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We needed DB and we got that done. I think the disappointment in this class was not hitting on many of the 34 NT and DE body type. We really didn't miss anywhere else that was a need. I don't know if DL was even really a need this year...could bite us in the behind in a year or two.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We needed DB and we got that done. I think the disappointment in this class was not hitting on many of the 34 NT and DE body type. We really didn't miss anywhere else that was a need. I don't know if DL was even really a need this year...could bite us in the behind in a year or two.
Figure CNS will sign a couple JUCO guys as a stop gap OR maybe we just make that the priority next year like DB was this year and sign 3 or 4 of the top DL's in the country.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Figure CNS will sign a couple JUCO guys as a stop gap OR maybe we just make that the priority next year like DB was this year and sign 3 or 4 of the top DL's in the country.
Exactly and if you sign freshmen like Ashawn Robinson and Daron Payne they play great football their freshman year. I am not worried in the least and our DL in '18 will be very good and for the unforeseen future.

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
Every one of our DB signees is 6-feet or taller. Agree with the assessment that Smith and Surtain are gems. The other three are very solid as well. Great haul.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.