Link: Coaching Carousel Continues...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Below is from Wikipedia regarding the NCAA show-cause punishment. Note that a school can hire such a coach, but must appear before the NCAA and "prove the existence of a good reason as to why it should not be penalized for hiring that coach". Of course UTSA was able to do so, so it would seem that Bama should be able.

In the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), a show-cause penalty is an administrative punishment ordering that any NCAA penalties imposed on a coach found to have committed major rules violations will stay in effect against that coach for a specified period of time—and could also be transferred to any other NCAA-member school that hires the coach while the sanctions are still in effect. Both the school and coach are required to send letters to the NCAA agreeing to abide by any restrictions imposed. They must also report back to the NCAA every six months until either the end of the coach's employment or the show-cause penalty (whichever comes first). If the school wishes to avoid the NCAA penalties imposed on that coach, it must send representatives to appear before the NCAA's Committee on Infractions and "show cause" (i.e., prove the existence of good reason) as to why it should not be penalized for hiring that coach.[SUP][1][/SUP] The penalty is intended to prevent a coach from escaping punishment for violations that he/she had a role in committing or allowing—-which are generally applied to the school (e.g., lost scholarships, forfeited and vacated wins)--by merely resigning and taking a coaching job at another, unpenalized school. It is currently the most severe penalty that can be brought against an American collegiate coach.

Contrary to popular belief, an NCAA member school is allowed to hire a coach who is under an ongoing show-cause order. However, the show-cause restrictions make it prohibitively difficult for a coach with a show-cause order to get another collegiate job. As mentioned above, any school that hires a coach with an outstanding show-cause order can be penalized merely for hiring him. Additionally, that school could be severely punished if such a coach commits additional violations while the show-cause order is still in effect.[SUP][2][/SUP] Consequently, most schools will not even consider hiring a coach with a show-cause penalty in effect, meaning that it usually has the effect of blackballing that coach from the collegiate ranks for at least the duration of the penalty. Many coaches who receive a show-cause penalty never coach again even after the penalty expires, since a large number of athletic directors and university presidents/chancellors are unwilling to hire someone with a history of major violations due to the potentially disastrous effects the hiring could have on the program.[SUP][3][/SUP]
Another thought regarding Davis is that you would think he would bend over backwards to avoid even the appearance of deceit or violation. The only reason he would not, would be that this was habitual behavior rather than an isolated event. Coach Saban's continued communications with him and willingness to consider him for a job, indicates that he believes that CBD's behavior was an isolated event rather than his way of doing business. CNS and Alabama would be way out on a limb if it hires him.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
My guess is that coach has a greater context surrounding the situation with Davis. He also knows if he doesn't get him Kirby or JP will likely snatch him up.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Although the pre-issues Davis would be my choice, hands down, but as of today I would love to Bates come back home. That would be awesome.

Rtr

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Can someone give me a brief reminder of what Bo Davis did? What was with the lying?

Getting Bates from Clemson sounds good. Hurts them. Helps us. All good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Can someone give me a brief reminder of what Bo Davis did? What was with the lying?

Getting Bates from Clemson sounds good. Hurts them. Helps us. All good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Davis had contact when he couldn’t. He was asked and lied.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Bates has done wonders with the DL at Clemson. That would be pretty frightening for everyone else.
Not that I think poorly of Bates, but this isn't really true. The Clemson DL we all know was built and run by Dan Brooks and Marion Hobby. Bates just came in this year after Brooks retired and Hobby got nabbed by the Jaguars. May also be telling that Bates had the whole DL to himself last year but has now been relegated to DTs (maybe not though, this split has been standard practice for Clemson).

In other words, he may be a good coach, but he's not synonymous with the Clemson DL, which has had a good reputation for a while now.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
There is some talk that Burton Burns may retire
If I'm not mistaken, Coach BB was on my flight Monday from Atlanta to Pensacola, Florida. I didn't talk to him other than a Roll Tide and he gave it back to me. I guess he was going to see Jacob C. -- I am sure that by the time your are 65 you are tired of chasing 17-18 year olds around the country to get them to come play for you. I know I would be...

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
If I'm not mistaken, Coach BB was on my flight Monday from Atlanta to Pensacola, Florida. I didn't talk to him other than a Roll Tide and he gave it back to me. I guess he was going to see Jacob C. -- I am sure that by the time your are 65 you are tired of chasing 17-18 year olds around the country to get them to come play for you. I know I would be...
It would be exhausting to constantly have to pitch yourself. Like, "Bro, I've got 5 rings, 2 Heisman winners an NFL offensive rookie of the year and a pro-bowler. I don't pitch you, you pitch me, why should Alabama let you come and run the ball?"

crimsonman38

Scout Team
Jun 12, 2003
Holly Pond, AL
I like the thought of bringing in Roach. Making Burns the coach not beating the streets recruiting. If so, I think that will give us a 2 or 3 more years with Coach Burns

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.