News Article: 2018 Recruiting Class Ushering in New Golden Age of CFB Quarterbacks

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
2018 Recruiting Class Ushering in New Golden Age of CFB Quarterbacks

I have seen a TON of talk about this from guys like Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks at NFL Network to Trent Dilfer. Apparently there is this general feeling that starting with Tua and Fromm there is a new era of QBs coming to college football. These QBs are allegedly much further along in their development and are set up to be future stars.

I'm not 100% sure who it was but I believe it was Trent Dilfer on a podcast that said Tua was the really special one in the 2017 class and Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields are in that same class.

I can't speak on those 2 but I think we all saw how special Tua can be this past season both in the NCG and if we are being honest even in his limited action in mop up duty earlier in the season.

My question for you all is 2 fold,
1) Do you guys buy that we are really headed towards this golden era of QB play in college?
And
2) If so, what could have caused this? Better QB training camps like the Elite 11 and Manning Passing academy?

Last edited:

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
It was Dilfer that made that statement about Tua.

1). I would have to see a larger sample size of QBs not only coming in but their production during their qb careers . I do believe that Tua is very special though and I would agree that the ability for freshman QBs to have an impact is seen more today than ever which plays into question 2.

2). My opinion is that the development of the qb probably extends far before the training camps. I think the improvement that we do see may be attributed to the development in the high school game , getting players ready on a collegiate level. The whole cultural aspect of high school and college football has changed to the point of where high school ball now generates the excitement level of collegiate ball in many areas of the country. So in a sense, I think the interest and excitement level of collegiate football has trickled down to the high school level which is only going to demand improvement . While the qb position probably gets noticed more, I think you actually see this developing at all positions . Freshmen are coming in ready to play and start more than ever. Plus , the tools and resources available for training today are just quite simply amazing and there are some high school facilities that leave small collegiate ones wanting.....

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
To answer the question - I do not really see more talent at the QB position. The guys who are so highly rated going into the draft all struggled against good defenses with the exception of Baker Mayfield. There are some very solid QBs out there, but there always are. But there are only going to be one or two elite QBs in each class once the dust settles.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
To answer the question - I do not really see more talent at the QB position. The guys who are so highly rated going into the draft all struggled against good defenses with the exception of Baker Mayfield. There are some very solid QBs out there, but there always are. But there are only going to be one or two elite QBs in each class once the dust settles.
I don't remember Baker Mayfield playing a good defense ;)

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Well, that is kind of the problem right now. If there is more talent/better prepared players it is allegedly a new wave and the first sign of it was the 2017 class of True Freshman who haven't played much. 2018 would only be the 2nd class of this new wave of QB recruits. It is very much speculation and if I had only heard it from Dilfer I would ignore it but I have now heard and/or read about it from probably 5 different scout/analysts type guys.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, that is kind of the problem right now. If there is more talent/better prepared players it is allegedly a new wave and the first sign of it was the 2017 class of True Freshman who haven't played much. 2018 would only be the 2nd class of this new wave of QB recruits. It is very much speculation and if I had only heard it from Dilfer I would ignore it but I have now heard and/or read about it from probably 5 different scout/analysts type guys.
I guess that we will see how it plays out. But some guys that Dilfer thought were great have totally bombed, and most of the really great QBs of the last few years have come out of nowhere.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I guess that we will see how it plays out. But some guys that Dilfer thought were great have totally bombed, and most of the really great QBs of the last few years have come out of nowhere.
E.g., Sean White the AU QB was labelled by Dilfer as a "program changer". He even acknowledged in his paean to Tua that "...I always like my guys, but Tua...".

It's so hard to evaluate passing QBs. IMO, the most important characteristics of a passing QB at any level are the ability to read a defense, ability to read the field post snap, anticipation and accuracy. The first 3 are almost impossible to judge from one level to the next (hs-college, college-nfl) because the complexity of the defenses increases, the speed of the players increases, thus the windows shrink greatly. You may have an idea, but you just don't know. As well, some kids have topped out, some haven't had the right coaching so can be developed further, etc. IMO, colleges and the nfl, put too much emphasis on measureables. It's understandable because those are the only things that are objective, but you need someone who can extrapolate from current circumstances to the next set. That's very hard. Even the nfl, who has many advantages over colleges miss in both directions all of the time - all of the time. This is one of the reasons why the DT QB has become so popular in college - you can more easily see and measure the characteristics (speed, quickness, elusiveness) that will make him successful. He just needs to be a marginal passer, usually throwing simple routes to relatively wide open receivers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.