South Korean Restaurants Refusing to Quit Serving Dog Meat - During Olympics

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
https://www.yahoo.com/news/korea-do...use-stop-serving-olympics-104237290--oly.html

Almost all the dog meat restaurants in South Korea's Pyeongchang county, where the Winter Olympics opening ceremony will be held on Friday, have defied a government request to stop serving the food, an official admitted Thursday.

South Koreans are believed to consume about one million dogs a year as a summertime delicacy, with the greasy red meat -- which is invariably boiled for tenderness -- believed to increase energy.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Koreans and Chinese (maybe others) do not believe in humanely butchering animals for food. When I was in Korea they had markets that were more tourist-oriented (typical fare of fruit, vegetables, chicken, pork, cow) and others that were for the locals (dog, assorted endangered animals). Visiting the local markets is not prohibited, but it is strongly discouraged. There's a reason why they don't want foreigners/tourists in the local markets. They slowly beat the dogs (and other animals) to death. I was told that consuming a dog that has been killed in such a manner is good for virility. Considering that Asian men will consume anything (rhino horn, cobra penis, etc.) if it promises a little more bulk to one's package, I tend to believe that dog's are tortured to death for such insecurity.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I’ve eaten a lot of “meat” in my trips to Asia. I’m sure I’ve eaten dog a time or two [emoji6]. I wasn’t worse “fur” the wear. [emoji3].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
My dad used to tell a story about when he was over there during the war. He said every now and then a stray dog would come around and all the guys would feed it scraps and play with it. He said they would always disappear within a couple weeks, and he didn’t know why.

Finally a S. Korean, speaking in the best broken English he could, simply said over and over to him “ Number 1 chop chop”.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
How would you know?
A few times I was told what the meat was after consuming it. They get a kick out of seeing our faces. I have a friend in north Myanmar who owns a farm. One of the "livestock" they own for consumption and sell? Dog.

ETA- One time in the Phillippines I was served something that was supposed to "be like a hamburger." Well it wasnt. It was one of the few times I wanted to wretch as soon as I put it in my mouth. As a whole, I love native Asian cuisine, especially in SE Asia. But I have come across some really horrible things too. The worst thing I've eaten yet is durian.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
A few times I was told what the meat was after consuming it. They get a kick out of seeing our faces. I have a friend in north Myanmar who owns a farm. One of the "livestock" they own for consumption and sell? Dog.

ETA- One time in the Phillippines I was served something that was supposed to "be like a hamburger." Well it wasnt. It was one of the few times I wanted to wretch as soon as I put it in my mouth. As a whole, I love native Asian cuisine, especially in SE Asia. But I have come across some really horrible things too. The worst thing I've eaten yet is durian.
I was just about to mention durian. My wife - and all Vietnamese I know - love it. It's "slogan" is 'smells like hell, tastes live heaven.' Well, there are plenty of other fruits out there that taste good and smell good. I don't see how you can separate the two senses. My wife and I are considering counseling to resolve this conflict so that she admits I'm right.

Funny thing: Andrew Zimmern has (or had) a show where he would travel around the world eating all sorts of disgusting local cuisine. The only thing I've seen him not keep down is durian. It's a fruit! He can eat week-old road kill, but can't keep down durian. I guess it's more accurate to say durian 'smells and tastes like hell.'

ETA: A buddy of mine who lived and worked for many years in VN said there was a Duran Duran tribute band there called ...... wait for it ..... Durian Durian. :biggrin:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I was just about to mention durian. My wife - and all Vietnamese I know - love it. It's "slogan" is 'smells like hell, tastes live heaven.' Well, there are plenty of other fruits out there that taste good and smell good. I don't see how you can separate the two senses. My wife and I are considering counseling to resolve this conflict so that she admits I'm right.

Funny thing: Andrew Zimmern has (or had) a show where he would travel around the world eating all sorts of disgusting local cuisine. The only thing I've seen him not keep down is durian. It's a fruit! He can eat week-old road kill, but can't keep down durian. I guess it's more accurate to say durian 'smells and tastes like hell.'

ETA: A buddy of mine who lived and worked for many years in VN said there was a Duran Duran tribute band there called ...... wait for it ..... Durian Durian. :biggrin:
I often “boast” I ate the one thing Zimmern can’t eat on Bizarre Foods [emoji3]. To me it both smells and tastes like hell.

Many hotels in Myanmar won’t let you keep it in your room because the smell is almost impossible to get out of it gets into the carpet. There it’s connected to Theravada Buddhism as religious rite. I’ve never asked what the exact connection is though. It’s very expensive. I paid $12 for half a fruit last time I bought one in a supermarket (non-negotiable price). I usually have “first timers” to Myanmar try it. One actually liked it. I tell people to stop on the side of the road on a blistering August day in AL and take a bite out of a possum that’s been dead a day or two. That *might* compare with durian [emoji3].

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Why Does the Durian Fruit Smell So Terrible?
If you’ve smelled a durian even once, you probably remember it. Even with the husk intact, the notorious Asian fruit has such a potent stench that it’s banned on the Singapore Rapid Mass Transit. Food writer Richard Sterling has written “its odor is best described as…turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away.”

A small minority, though, love the smell and taste of the fruit. Anthony Bourdain calls it “indescribable, something you will either love or despise…Your breath will smell as if you’d been French-kissing your dead grandmother.” The fruit’s flesh is sometimes eaten raw, or is cooked and used to flavor a number of traditional Southeast Asian dishes and candies. It’s also used in traditional Asian medicine, as both an anti-fever treatment and a aphrodisiac. Our “Off the Road” blog profiled a pair of intrepid travelers on a year-long journey planned around tasting different varieties of durian.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Then, there's lutefisk... :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.