Question: What effect will all the coaching changes have on this year‘s team?

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I thought this would be a good discussion question for this board. I realize it will be under the Saban umbrella but I would think it’s bound to create a learning curve for both the players and the coaches as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
It is a legit question. Burns and Key are .....key to all of this because we will need to be able to depend upon a solid running game. Locks know the qb's and they know him, so that's o.k., but the defensive side of the ball is brand new and wide-arsed open. It is going to be very, very, VERY interesting to see what comes out of that bunch. Amazing new ideas overseen by the Master? Sign me up!

rtr

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Offensively I think we'll be fine. If opponents have to respect the pass now our offense could be much better. Defensively it may be tough to tell. We lost key players, especially in the secondary so we have to rebuild there. I think our defense will probably give up more points next season but we'll have to determine whether it's due to coaching or just inexperienced players.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Offensively I think we'll be fine. If opponents have to respect the pass now our offense could be much better. Defensively it may be tough to tell. We lost key players, especially in the secondary so we have to rebuild there. I think our defense will probably give up more points next season but we'll have to determine whether it's due to coaching or just inexperienced players.
I guess the good thing is defensive backs are Saban’s specialty. Going to be a lot more youth in the coaching ranks...maybe good for recruiting but less experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I think the new staff will be a HUGE shot in the arm for Saban and the team. Some of the coaches that left needed to go and I expect one more to be on the way out as well. As others have said, I expect the offense to be a lot better this fall with Tua at QB. The days of teams stacking the box will be over. I expect our RB's to put up HUGE numbers this fall.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I don't know. But I'm pretty sure I'll be going to A-Day this year. Defensively there should be a lot of really good battles for Starting/Playing time come the fall.

I'm in the "excited" camp on this one.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't know. But I'm pretty sure I'll be going to A-Day this year. Defensively there should be a lot of really good battles for Starting/Playing time come the fall.

I'm in the "excited" camp on this one.
I have a feeling that our secondary might get torched on A-Day. The returning talent we have on OL, WR, QB, & RB vs brand new secondary? That sounds like a mismatch.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
There are a lot of new coaches that will have to be trained in the Saban method. Coach will have to spend a lot of time with the coaches immediately and training them will proceed throughout Spring, Summer and into Fall camp. I think it will be a tremendous learning experience for all the coaches, including the big boss, as new ideas are discussed. There will be a learning curve as far as implementing the Process with the new guys but by the end of August I think we will see a well oiled coaching machine. I look to see a lot of enthusiasm from the new staff which should be a shot in the arm to the whole program. At least, that is my take.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I have a feeling that our secondary might get torched on A-Day. The returning talent we have on OL, WR, QB, & RB vs brand new secondary? That sounds like a mismatch.
And hopefully it will be much the same result for opponent secondaries in the fall.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I agree - it could look a lot like a 7-7 passing drill with a LOT of success unless the DL and OLBs are getting pressure (especially with the touch rule on QBs) because as great as this class was from a DB standpoint, only one of them will be there for spring...

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
It'd be easier to talk about who didn't leave: Tosh, Key and Burns. Pannunzio is rumored to be moving off-field, and yesterday someone on local radio reported a rumor that Coach Burns may retire. Has anyone ever had to replace six of nine field coaches after a successful season before? Heck, a #7 or 8 recruiting season is a miracle put into that context.

rtr

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
Will all the coaches leaving hurt? yes. But i think the influx of fresh young coaches will bring new blood ideas and enthusiasm. I'm excited to see what happens this year. We filled huge hole with the signing of stud DB's this year. I'm not worried about Alabama football until Coach Saban retires. He is always a step ahead. ROLL TIDE! Unfortunately we are hit with coaches leaving every year with a loss of great talent to the NFL draft, Saban is a master in adjusting and making the right moves to keep us successful.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I hope we use RPO's like the Eagle's did throughout their season and into the Superbowl.

Roster wise we are set up to run a very similar offense but with the actual threat to run from the QB position.

I know some people are worried about Locks but we will be more than ok. The RPO can still be a very effective tool and we have more than enough talent to pass or run the ball pretty much at will. Just whenever he fancies.

Defensively I'm even less worried. It's still Nick Saban's defense. Tosh is an unknown when it comes to calling but we will be fine. The scheme, discipline, athletic ability and overall talent on defense will cover all of holes on the scheme side. Even Pruitt, who was PHENOMENAL overall, called bad games (I thought his play calls in the Arkansas game in 2016 were awful).

It'll be an adjustment but I like that there is a lot of youth and talent sprinkled into the coaching staff. If Saban can bring that talent out of them he'll have once again proved why he is the best. Discovering gems and using them to knock people senseless.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Because optimism is high and I have no reason to think otherwise, here goes:

Our defense never gives up so much as a first down all season.

Our punter earns a red shirt, as he is never needed all season, and our PK is only used on PAT's (on the rare occasion we decide to not go for 2).

Undefeated through the regular season, winning by an average score of 69-0.

Clean sweep in all individual award categories, with all the New York invitees being players from Alabama (my guess is Tua, one of the Harris's, and Jeudy).

Playoff game doesn't happen as our chosen opponent declines to even come at all.

National Championship against an overmatched USC results in a disappointing 59-0 win.

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
I've always believed that about 95% of the plays we run, on both sides of the ball, come from CNS. I think our coaching staff does more in terms of recruiting and player development than anything else.

That being said, I think we'll be A-ok.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I agree - it could look a lot like a 7-7 passing drill with a LOT of success unless the DL and OLBs are getting pressure (especially with the touch rule on QBs) because as great as this class was from a DB standpoint, only one of them will be there for spring...
Remember the first half of A Day last year ? Tua torched the defense badly but now we know that was no fluke.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Because optimism is high and I have no reason to think otherwise, here goes:

Our defense never gives up so much as a first down all season.

Our punter earns a red shirt, as he is never needed all season, and our PK is only used on PAT's (on the rare occasion we decide to not go for 2).

Undefeated through the regular season, winning by an average score of 69-0.

Clean sweep in all individual award categories, with all the New York invitees being players from Alabama (my guess is Tua, one of the Harris's, and Jeudy).

Playoff game doesn't happen as our chosen opponent declines to even come at all.

National Championship against an overmatched USC results in a disappointing 59-0 win.
You forgot about us winning the Super Bowl.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Someone pointed out that we are changing staff alot which will help bring fresh ideas. Fresh ideas are needed in every program. However 6 of 9 may be alot. I view it like this: change, especially positive change is good. However, if change is too rapid it is bad. Saban has spoken several times of team identity. That is very important however the team identity has changed year to year. Program identity has been the same every year under Saban. I do not care if you are talking of offense under Nussemeir or Kiffin, defense under Smart or Pruitt. Our team under Saban has been : superior talent, executing plays as close to perfection as humanly possible , with some of the best halftime adjustments ever seen by any coaching staff. I just do not want too much new ideas and new coaching staff to change the CNS team identity.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
It's still Coach Saban's team.
Expect to see Coach Saban's Defense.
It will be retooled some from last year,
but all of this last years injuries gave tons of experience to next years starters...
SO... Lots of experience returning.

Expect Coach Loxley to run a similar Offense, but with maybe a few more runs by our Running Backs. Offense could be explosive.

AND...
Maybe we make some clutch Field Goals. ;)

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This was a good year to have this kind of turnover in the staff if you're gonna have it because the real attrition is felt in the position group where Saban can have the greatest influence (secondary). There is a lot of experience everywhere else.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.