JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Rating the SEC recruiting classes
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
February 9th, 2018 01:20 AM

1. Georgia Key signings: QB Justin Fields, DL Brenton Cox, RB Zamir White Underrated: OL Owen Condon, DE Azeez Ojulari
Total talent level (Ex, Vg, Av, Fr, Pr): Ex
Needs filled: Ex
Analysis: The Bulldogs probably signed the best recruiting class, top to bottom, in modern college […]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I know I can't type this without bias. But Georgia's ability to haul in these type classes will come to an end in short order. Right now Kirby can sell playing time, "on the come up" program status, and take advantage of being the new kid on the block/new flavor of the month to challenge Nick Saban and Alabama. But as the talent increases the struggle will begin to get as many blue chip players to come to Athens as they currently are able to bring in. The recruiting leverage will plateau out and the question is, when it begins to plateau (and it will). Will Kirby have hauled in enough talent that pans out to have brought home a trophy? Conference and national titles aren't simply won with #1 recruiting classes. They're won with team chemistry, development and a dash of luck. All three have to occur to win titles. I know some Georgia fans who truly believe this is how UGA is going to recruit from here on out. They have a surprise coming their way.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I know I can't type this without bias. But Georgia's ability to haul in these type classes will come to an end in short order. Right now Kirby can sell playing time, "on the come up" program status, and take advantage of being the new kid on the block/new flavor of the month to challenge Nick Saban and Alabama. But as the talent increases the struggle will begin to get as many blue chip players to come to Athens as they currently are able to bring in. The recruiting leverage will plateau out and the question is, when it begins to plateau (and it will). Will Kirby have hauled in enough talent that pans out to have brought home a trophy? Conference and national titles aren't simply won with #1 recruiting classes. They're won with team chemistry, development and a dash of luck. All three have to occur to win titles. I know some Georgia fans who truly believe this is how UGA is going to recruit from here on out. They have a surprise coming their way.
Yes Kirby on TV full time is wearing a bit thin for me. He will encounter the same difficulties with coaching turnover and for becoming the target for everyone in the east.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I find it hilarious that Georgia fans revise history to make it sound like talent was the reason they haven't been able to get it done in the past. Pretty sure they had the #3 and #6 class the previous two years.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Thanks as always, Jess. Very nice write-up. Appreciate the time it took to put all this together! :smile:

I hadn't heard that about Emory Jones. Not good for us! That said - with a "quarterback whisperer" as head coach now - am hoping for the best. :p

Here's what I am taking from this. Mississippi State (under Dan Mullen) ended up 18th last year....the only class in the past five to finish in the top 20. The other four ranged from 22nd to 35th.

This year Florida (under Dan Mullen) ended up 14th (according to this source) so while this is below Florida's average of 10, it's higher than Coach McElwain's first year (21) and higher than anything Coach Mullen was able to put together in his entire 9 years at State.

I feel we are heading back in right direction!

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Kirby got Uga to the national title game in his second year. He proved he could recruit at Bama and that he knows how to coach at Uga. Uga is going to be a major force to contend with. Wishful thinking to pretend otherwise.

12Namath12

Suspended
Sep 24, 2016
Birmingham
Kirby is a great recruiter, but I question his coaching ability. Sure, he got to the Championship game, but I am still a skeptic.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Kirby got Uga to the national title game in his second year. He proved he could recruit at Bama and that he knows how to coach at Uga. Uga is going to be a major force to contend with. Wishful thinking to pretend otherwise.
I Never said the guy couldn't recruit or coach. I Just think its a crap narrative to pretend like pre Kirby smart Georgia was where Alabama was pre saban in terms of talent. I think Alabama fans are tired of having every little flaw or mistake they make get Perceived as "the dynasty is over". for god sakes the Day after Alabama won the title against Georgia. One sportswriter was talking about how Georgia was gonna be the "end of Alabama".

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Jess.....I realize a highlight video can be misleading but in watching this one of Emory Jones, I'm still fuzzy about your comment as follows: "But QB Emory Jones saw his stock freefall over the winter, to the point that some analysts began to project him at receiver or safety rather than – not in addition to – quarterback."

Thanks in advance for any insight!

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Over half the conference finished in the top 25... I wonder how many times since 2000 that over half (9 teams) of the SEC has finished in the top 25? Jess?.....:conf3:

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Kirby is a great recruiter, but I question his coaching ability. Sure, he got to the Championship game, but I am still a skeptic.
———
Mark Richt was a lazy recruiter who produced soft, undisciplined teams plagued by off-the-field problems.

Like him or not, Kirby Smart is Richt’s antithesis. Inspirational, obsessively hardworking and all-in as far as recruiting and competitiveness go.

Kirby has plenty to prove. But this has a Pat Dye-arrival-at-Auburn feel to me — short the bags of cash, as best we can tell.

Richt certainly had talent. But talent isn’t the only thing to consider. There's a totally different guy holding the leash in Athens these days.

Last edited:

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Kirby was a great recruiter at Bama because he was recruiting for Bama otherwise he was just a good recruiter. When Kirby left Bama he made sure he had a copy of all the recruits CNS was recruiting the next few years and where CNS was ranking them, Kirby then used that list to recruit against his teacher. Kirby will be found out very soon and also will have a target on his back like Bama has had for the past 8 years.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
They very well maybe. But I'm not going to go ahead and give them the SEC Championship trophy and national title trophy two days after blowing a 13 point second half lead in the national title game either. Like many seem to want to do. Each year it is a new team, new players, new chemistry. It is why Coach Saban makes it point (after winning a title) to say "We're not defending last year's title." Because it's not like if we don't win the title in 2018 they're going to come and take the trophy we won last season out of the trophy case. It's a new trophy, for a new year that will have to be won by a different team with different players with different chemistry. There's no doubt UGA is trending up. But I think it is naive for anyone to believe they will have a perfectly straight linear upward trend to the top and this newly found chart breaking recruiting will be the norm year in and year out. The road to the top doesn't come without hiccups and unexpected pit falls.

Last edited:

WPS

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 14, 2015
Arkansas only had room for 17 players, which explains the low rating. If you go by average they’re higher than Vanderbilt, Missouri and Kentucky and .5 away from Ole Miss. Still not great, but Bielema didn’t leave a good class for Morris to work with. He raised it from like the 90’s to 49 according to 247.

With the addition of #1 JUCO DE Dorian Gerald it’s their highest rated defensive class per-average in 10 years. Foucha and Myles Mason are the highest rated duo of safeties they’ve signed since 2002. Definitely filled a need there.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.