"Alabama's next star is already on campus" (And it's not Tua) ;)

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
The once complaint levied against DH when he was here was his need for a few steps to get rolling - I recall quite a few times when someone got to him in the backfield and dropped him with an ankle tackle. That's one thing I've seen from NH so far that looks better than DH - NH seems more nimble wrt keeping his feet even early in his runs.

It's an embarrassment of riches at RB that we've had under Saban.
If DH can remedy that slow to the hole curse...Murray will be looking to move to another team. Mularkey (Former Titan's HC) got on him hard for his late arrival to the LOS quite often, but Henry being the competitor he is managed to step it up a little. Broke a few around the corner. D. Henry will end up with a lot of yardage if he can stay healthy.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Even without Scarbrough, I like this group of running backs better than last year. Brian Robinson is a guy that people forget about because of Najee but he's a great back in his own right. Josh Jacobs has proven how good he is when healthy and hopefully he will be in 2018. I feel like he is like Mark Ingram when healthy. Damien Harris is who he is. A talented player who has only improved since he's been here and is also a total team player that loved the University. The interesting thing I want to see is how Slade Bolden is used. He is a very underrated player that reminds me a little bit of Christian McCaffrey.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I agree with this. Najee does not have quite the burst or top end speed many of our RB's have had but he is agile, instinctive and powerful. He will have a great career and be a Heisman candidate or winner his junior year (Tua will be also IMO).
one of the first downs he got in the championship game, he got tripped at the line of scrimmage and stumbled his way to a first down. it was insane.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
The Thing that struck out to me was his drive to start and FINISH runs. It was extremely rare that first contact brought him down. Almost reckless in his effort to get up field. Array of moves, great power, by all accounts great pass hands and route running. With o-line and tua able to keep defense honest and on heels this should be fun.

DH was my favorite football player to watch..Ever. Without the overall ability of that offense, coker and receivers, he does not put those numbers up....then again he would dominate 8and9 man boxes even when there was no threat of PA or even a pass at all for that matter. So who knows. Too early to compare but I have no doubt najee will be successful. That was Georgia's d in NC game he averaged over 10 ypc.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As has been pointed out, NH's carries came after Tua had spread the field out and backed the safeties off the run. Also, DH's legs had begun to show the wear and tear (as had UGA's defense), without the normal amount of spelling by JJ. That said, I hope that defenses will have to remain spread out this entire coming season...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Man, yeah, good comparison. We've yet to see if he develops Campbell's power, but yah, the rough and tumble powerhouse running is similar.
I have a hard time seeing Earl. Campbell was at least 2" shorter, probably more and weighed at least as much as Najee, probably more. His COG was probably 6" below NH's. Going wide, it was fairly common for him to be hit and knocked over a couple of yards without going down, just kept running. Najee is much rangier. The main resemblance I see is the determination in each not to go down...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Earl paid a steep price for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have seen Earl recently on TV and he is doing much better. He got addicted to pain meds and was basically a zombie for about 20 years. He is now clean and he seems like a different person both mentally and physically. He was an absolute beast.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Well, I hope for our (and his success) but I’ve lived too long and seen too many “The next Bo Jackson/Herschel/Manning” to get overly excited.

I remember when a quarterback named Billy Ray came to Alabama as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Did he even play a down for us?

And too many names to go through. Hey, hope he’s great but it’ll happen or it won’t.

And it IS football so it only takes one hit.

Yeah... Lots of us remember Billy Ray. Somebody 'Whiffed' on that scholarship offer.

(Must have been the PonyTail) ;)

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
With Najee... During the year you could see sparks of
good things to come.
THEN in the NCG
Kind of like the lights came on suddenly, Najee came alive.
I think he has arrived.

I'm not into that game of he's as good as...
I'm gonna say he has the potential to be...

Let me say it like an announcer...
HE....... COULD..... GO...... ALL..... THE..... WAY.....
Maybe..... ;)

Last edited:

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Najee ran with a lot of power against UGA, and I'm really excited to see what he'll do the next two seasons. Having Tua and Najee in the same backfield will be a sight to behold.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Najee will benefit from an excellent offensive line and a QB that can put the ball anywhere on the field. He will not have to face 8 man fronts very often.

He also isn't likely to be the starter until later in his career. That's actually a plus I think. His junior year he will be "the man" and have a chance to get 1500 yards and 20 TDs.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Najee ran with a lot of power against UGA, and I'm really excited to see what he'll do the next two seasons. Having Tua and Najee in the same backfield will be a sight to behold.
As great as Najee is and will be in the future, having a good rotation of backs will benefit him as well as the team this year. When you have a RB group of Najee and Damien Harris, Josh Jacobs, Brian Robinson and the two freshmen signed on Wednesday, it will be a formidable offense to contend with. Slade Bolden is seriously underrated by people as well.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Best by what metric? Derrick Henry's 2015 season was the greatest season a RB has ever had in SEC history. What could top that?
Every BEST is set to be broken, and Najee could be better than that. What could top it, simple a better season, more yards, more TD's etc. It is simple every BEST season in the past by any player has been bested at some point, that one could be bested too. This is not rocket science, no matter how great a year some RB has some RB will break the records they set.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
With Najee... During the year you could see sparks of
good things to come.
THEN in the NCG
Kind of like the lights came on suddenly, Najee came alive.
I think he has arrived.

I'm not into that game of he's as good as...
I'm gonna say he has the potential to be...

Let me say it like an announcer...
HE....... COULD..... GO...... ALL..... THE..... WAY.....
Maybe..... ;)
I agree with he is as good as what ever back. Najee has the potential to be a great back in his own right. I let commentators compare them, I just want to see what he can do, I feel he could be the next back others get compared to.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I agree with he is as good as what ever back. Najee has the potential to be a great back in his own right. I let commentators compare them, I just want to see what he can do, I feel he could be the next back others get compared to.
This discussion particularly when we began to compare Najee to Earl Campbell caused me to think about Bama running backs that may have the most similar attributes to Najee. Ultimately I come to Shaun Alexander and believe that if Najee can achieve that level in his career it will be a remarkable thing to watch.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.