Clemson's DC Venables set to make $2 million/year.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think it's a tougher sell than that. They've already won a national title and asking a kid to exercise patience for another year of having millions on top of millions of dollars dropped into his bank account is much harder than telling them FSU is in transition and they've got a great chance to get back to the college football playoffs. Dabo had to pull out his best "blue steele" to convert these youngsters.

It's very easy if they're going to be taking a pay cut to go to the NFL.....

That's how Miami kept that dynasty going.....

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I think it's a tougher sell than that. They've already won a national title and asking a kid to exercise patience for another year of having millions on top of millions of dollars dropped into his bank account is much harder than telling them FSU is in transition and they've got a great chance to get back to the college football playoffs. Dabo had to pull out his best "blue steele" to convert these youngsters.
I imagine Dabo used some Holy water from Newspring Church ...

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
I maybe wrong but since Venable's name has become so popular there have been several P5 job openings that I would think fit the bill of "good" jobs. But it is hard to blame the guy, if they're going to pay you head coaching money to be a coordinator and not have the responsibilities of a HC. Then why not take it and run?!
"This"....

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Which is cheating the kids. There are at least two that should be banking millions in a few months. Things like that make me nervous about him and the perpetual "when CNS retires" scenario.
Cheating the kids? I'm sure those guys received plenty of information about their NFL potential and where they might be drafted. It is their decision. Did we say Saban was cheating the kids two years ago when several of our seniors-to-be decided to come back and go for a repeat? I'm sure Saban was happy when Williams, Howard, Allen, and Foster all decided to come back in 2016. I know I was.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
Cheating the kids? I'm sure those guys received plenty of information about their NFL potential and where they might be drafted. It is their decision. Did we say Saban was cheating the kids two years ago when several of our seniors-to-be decided to come back and go for a repeat? I'm sure Saban was happy when Williams, Howard, Allen, and Foster all decided to come back in 2016. I know I was.
Saban has stated many times, and I agree with him, if you receive a first round grade and it is fairly certain you will be taken that high then you should leave, if in doubt or you get a lower grade his suggestion is to come back, get your degree, and try to improve your stock. Huge difference in guaranteed money between first round and the rest.
Those four you mentioned improved their stock and Allen and Howard made it in to the first round. Williams definitely improved his stock. He was only playing pass rush downs that year and moved more 3 down the following. Reuben was a missile, not sure if he ever had a first round grade, he showed this past year he should have.
2 of those guys were sure fire first rounders and i feel that if dabo did not at least do everything he could to persuade them to declare for draft then he did them a disservice. You never know, he may have tried and it was that important to them. (To come back)

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
X2

It's no different than Damien Harris coming. Those guys may place a high priority on education like Damien does.

As far as paying Venerables 2M, why not? If you have a coordinator that has recruited and coached defenses as well as he has, I see no reason not to pay him. I wish we could lock up a great coordinator for a while.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Yes, convincing a guaranteed NFL first rounder to come back is cheating the kid.

None of those you mentioned were guaranteed to go 1st round. Allen actually got a 2nd round grade.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Dabo ought to have barred two of those guys from the facilities. But he's riding this magical group of guys out...hope they stay healthy.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Dabo ought to have barred two of those guys from the facilities. But he's riding this magical group of guys out...hope they stay healthy.
Clemson signed 5 of the top 26 guys in the country, including the #1 QB (and #1 overall player), #1 SDE, #3 WDE, and #2 OT.

I get that a lot of people don't like Dabo, but I think the people that think he lucked into some kind of magical couple of classes and they'll go away when they graduate are going to be very disappointed.

Dabo is proving to have staying power, and Clemson is proving to be committed to being a contender in CFB.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm not saying that at all. But this core of guys he signed around Watson signing on were a special group. He did those young men a disservice allowing them to come back and risk one chop block ending their career. They were solid 1st rounders. It is selfish of the coach to not give them a reality check or even extend a lifetime scholarship to finish their bachelors whenever they want but just go make that generational wealth payday.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yes, convincing a guaranteed NFL first rounder to come back is cheating the kid.
Do we know these young men didn't want to finish their education? Do we know that they didn't promise 'grandma' they would get their degree?

Maybe you know something I don't - and keep in mind I'm no Dabo fan - but it seems unfair to suggest they were 'convinced' to come back. Just saying.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm not saying that at all. But this core of guys he signed around Watson signing on were a special group. He did those young men a disservice allowing them to come back and risk one chop block ending their career. They were solid 1st rounders. It is selfish of the coach to not give them a reality check or even extend a lifetime scholarship to finish their bachelors whenever they want but just go make that generational wealth payday.
You really think that if Minkah told Saban he wanted to come back for his senior year CNS would tell him no? He'd ban him from the facilities?

Hahahahaha, c'mon man...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.