Clemson's DC Venables set to make $2 million/year.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm now convinced when Dabo retires from football he's going to be some sort of traveling evangelist. Not only was he able to convince his NFL ready DL'men to come back for another year, he somehow convinces his DC to stay and convinces the school to pay him $2 million per year. He sure knows how to put the "voo-doo" spell on folks. LOL! Good lord, $2 million/year for a coordinator. I went into the wrong profession.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/22372009/clemson-tigers-defensive-coordinator-brent-venables-earn-2-million-annually

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Might be the trend of the future.

If you have a great/highly desired coordinator and you don't want the turnover in coaching/recruiting (sound familiar?), schools might start paying their coordinators head coaching pay to keep the consistency.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I remember the Tuscaloosa News writers discussing this a bit on one of the podcasts in the fall. Why would a high profile coordinator want to go to a G5 school to be a HC when he can make more money by staying as a coordinator until a good P5 job opens?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I remember the Tuscaloosa News writers discussing this a bit on one of the podcasts in the fall. Why would a high profile coordinator want to go to a G5 school to be a HC when he can make more money by staying as a coordinator until a good P5 job opens?
I maybe wrong but since Venable's name has become so popular there have been several P5 job openings that I would think fit the bill of "good" jobs. But it is hard to blame the guy, if they're going to pay you head coaching money to be a coordinator and not have the responsibilities of a HC. Then why not take it and run?!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Selling the seniors likely didn’t take much. “Hey, FSU is in transition and for Pete’s sake Miami has Mark Richt; we’re heading back to the playoffs!”

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Selling the seniors likely didn’t take much. “Hey, FSU is in transition and for Pete’s sake Miami has Mark Richt; we’re heading back to the playoffs!”
I think it's a tougher sell than that. They've already won a national title and asking a kid to exercise patience for another year of having millions on top of millions of dollars dropped into his bank account is much harder than telling them FSU is in transition and they've got a great chance to get back to the college football playoffs. Dabo had to pull out his best "blue steele" to convert these youngsters.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
If you are paying people like Gus Malzahn seven million dollars why would it surprise you if a P5 school pays a valued coordinator a couple of million? Isn't LSU paying Aranda $1.8 million? This IS the wave of the future, at least at 'football priority' schools.

rtr

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If you are paying people like Gus Malzahn seven million dollars why would it surprise you if a P5 school pays a valued coordinator a couple of million? Isn't LSU paying Aranda $1.8 million? This IS the wave of the future, at least at 'football priority' schools.

rtr
IIRC, Aranda was the first $2 million DC.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I think it's a tougher sell than that. They've already won a national title and asking a kid to exercise patience for another year of having millions on top of millions of dollars dropped into his bank account is much harder than telling them FSU is in transition and they've got a great chance to get back to the college football playoffs. Dabo had to pull out his best "blue steele" to convert these youngsters.
Which is cheating the kids. There are at least two that should be banking millions in a few months. Things like that make me nervous about him and the perpetual "when CNS retires" scenario.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Which is cheating the kids. *There are at least two that should be banking millions in a few months. **Things like that make me nervous about him and the perpetual "when CNS retires" scenario.
* And it would be a crying shame if any of them had a season ending (potentially career ending) injury while playing with a Clemson jersey on.

**He definitely doesn't come without reservations.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I think it's smart on Clemson's part. They're on a historic run, I'd spend what it took to keep that going as well.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I remember when this guy was basically fired at Oklahoma.
Well, Bob brought his brother back (who sucks as a DC). Most every OU fan I know has wanted Mike gone since arrived - and many are convinced that Bob made Riley promise to keep Mike on staff for a bit.

I mean, that's the only logical reason for Mike Stoops to be employed at this point...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.