Medical marijuana - a veteran's story - Page 12
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789101112
    Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Re: Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    FWIW, after some further research, apparently best decarb is a combination of temp and time. Within limits, the higher the temp, the shorter the time. Some say 240F for 50 - 60 minutes for plant material is about right. If using kief, 240 for 30 - 40 minutes.

The problem with higher temps is that if you are looking to preserve terpenes (for either medicinal quality or for taste/odor) the higher temps will make that impossible. If you don't care about that then no problem. If you do then low and slow is the way to go.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Today marks 30 days in the soil, for those interested. We've had a few struggles but the plants are happy and healthy and growing like weeds.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation All-SEC

FWIW, after some further research, apparently best decarb is a combination of temp and time. Within limits, the higher the temp, the shorter the time. Some say 240F for 50 - 60 minutes for plant material is about right. If using kief, 240 for 30 - 40 minutes.

Just FYI, if you place it in the oven at 240 for an hour, it could be an expensive mistake. When the temp drops below 240 and the oven kicks back on, the oven will get back up 30-40 degrees above what it is set at. The increased temperature of the oven itself is much less of a problem than the increase of the pan and the direct heat from the coils. I use aluminum foil on a pizza stone (the stone helps to regulate the temperature and prevents hot spots) on a bottom rack and then a large pan on a higher rack to prevent the radiant heat from the coils from causing hot spots. When the oven temp, with the stone in, stabilizes at 235, then I turn the oven off and place inside. I closely monitor the temp and when it drops to 200-210, I turn the oven on in 90 second intervals. After about 30 minutes, I remove and cool to room temp. Then it gets ground in a coffee grinder before going into coconut oil where it stays in a thick pan. This is where it goes low and slow. Half time on the lowest setting and the other half on just the warmer section.

Quote Originally Posted by G-VilleTider View Post
    Just FYI, if you place it in the oven at 240 for an hour, it could be an expensive mistake. When the temp drops below 240 and the oven kicks back on, the oven will get back up 30-40 degrees above what it is set at. The increased temperature of the oven itself is much less of a problem than the increase of the pan and the direct heat from the coils. I use aluminum foil on a pizza stone (the stone helps to regulate the temperature and prevents hot spots) on a bottom rack and then a large pan on a higher rack to prevent the radiant heat from the coils from causing hot spots. When the oven temp, with the stone in, stabilizes at 235, then I turn the oven off and place inside. I closely monitor the temp and when it drops to 200-210, I turn the oven on in 90 second intervals. After about 30 minutes, I remove and cool to room temp. Then it gets ground in a coffee grinder before going into coconut oil where it stays in a thick pan. This is where it goes low and slow. Half time on the lowest setting and the other half on just the warmer section.
    Or get a Nova

Or get a Nova
    Or a cannabutter.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

https://reason.com/2019/07/23/the-ha...32muYyb-K0KFEM

A bill introduced today by Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) and Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) would repeal the federal ban on marijuana, expunge the records of people who have been convicted of violating it, and impose a 5 percent sales tax on cannabis products to fund an Opportunity Trust Fund. Well, two out of three ain't bad.
    Just pass a clean bill and worry about anything else later. Of course, I'm not too worried about a tax since I can grow it.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    https://reason.com/2019/07/23/the-ha...32muYyb-K0KFEM

Just pass a clean bill and worry about anything else later. Of course, I'm not too worried about a tax since I can grow it.
    Unfortunately there are so many "poison pills" in this proposed bill that it seems like it was written specifically to not pass; however, each new attempt continues to move the needle so that maybe after the election someone can propose a "cleaner" bill that isn't DOA.

Quote Originally Posted by G-VilleTider View Post
    Unfortunately there are so many "poison pills" in this proposed bill that it seems like it was written specifically to not pass; however, each new attempt continues to move the needle so that maybe after the election someone can propose a "cleaner" bill that isn't DOA.
    Kamala can't help but bring some of that California stupidity to the table when it comes to this. She didn't learn from what happened in her own state with taxing the legal stuff too heavily. The black market was saved and out of state dispensaries got a boost in sales, not to mention home growing became ever more popular.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/stud...sf_akfmevaatca

Study on cannabis chemical as a treatment for pancreatic cancer may have 'major impact,' Harvard researcher says

Pancreatic cancer makes up just 3 percent of all cancers in America. But with a one-year survival rate of just 20 percent (and five-year survival rate of less than 8), it’s predicted to be the second leading cause of cancer-related death by 2020.
    Headlines about the illness, as a result, tend to be discouraging. But this month scientists from Harvard University’s Dana-Farber Cancer Institute have released some much-needed good news. In their study, published in the journal Frontiers of Oncology on July 23, the researchers revealed that a chemical found in cannabis has demonstrated “significant therapy potential” in treatment of pancreatic cancer...

...“The most significant conclusion is that tumor-targeted delivery of flavonoids, derived from cannabis, enabled both local and metastatic tumor cell kill, significantly increasing survival from pancreatic cancer,” Ngwa tells Yahoo Lifestyle. “This has major significance, given that pancreatic cancer is particularly refractory to current therapies.

Ngwa says that the study is the first to demonstrate the potential new treatment for pancreatic cancer. But on top of successfully killing those cells, the scientist found FBL-03G capable of attacking other cancer cells — which was startling even to them. “We were quite surprised that the drug could inhibit the growth of cancer cells in other parts of the body, representing metastasis, that were not targeted by the treatment,” says Ngwa. “This suggests that the immune system is involved as well, and we are currently investigating this mechanism.”
    The significance of that, says Ngwa, is that, because pancreatic cancer is often diagnosed in later stages, once it has spread, and the flavonoids seem to be capable of killing other cancer cells, it may mean the life expectancy of those with the condition could increase.
    Wow. Let's hope this pans out.

A quick update on things here since it's been nearly a month since the last one:

Heckeva month here. I had a root canal but suffered for about three weeks before I could see the dentist and for about a week after while the infection cleared. About the time I was getting better my youngest had the same thing happen. His pain was bad enough for him to take two injections - one for antibiotic and one for pain - to get feeling better, which is a big deal for him. Seemingly related to this we did have some behavior issues but that improved when the pain improved. Other than relatively minor issues what happened with the dental pain was the only significantly problematic behavior. His dentist recommended an endodontist do the root canal and we have to get that scheduled. Thank goodness the pain is gone for now.

School began today and was uneventful (that's maor). He is going at the start of the day and for a longer duration than in the past. He also attended with me a dinner on the school grounds held every year and actually (with a small nudge) left me to go talk with his friend and even joined in when his friend was talking with someone else. Normally in the past both would not have happened.

Regarding our cannabis grow - we've been busy dealing with pests like whiteflies, moths, and a leaf-munching cricket this week. We've up-potted to five and ten gallon pots. We have large plants that I am told will produce well. I've taken clones. I've gotten new seeds for the next round of growing. I am waiting on a larger tent to put the flowering plants in so we can have a perpetual supply (a tent for "vegging" and another for flowering). I nearly ran out of soil so I have more supplies to make another batch of it, which will be needed with the new tent. We are within a couple of weeks of "flipping" to 12/12 light cycle to induce flowering - I'm just waiting on them to fill out a little more and the new tent. Once we flip it will take about 2 months until it's time to harvest, so late October or early November and then we can make the medicine at home. It's taken a ton of work and there's more to do. I've met a number of people who are treating their own or family member(s)' medical issues with cannabis and some that just like to get high. They've been a big help with offering support and solid advice. Some seem to be great people - the kind you'd want as a neighbor, if you have to have neighbors.

Also would like to share this study related to autism:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4653148/

Endocannabinoid signaling mediates oxytocin-driven social reward

We present evidence that an oxytocin-dependent endocannabinoid signal contributes to the regulation of social reward. The results provide insights into the functions of oxytocin, a neuropeptide crucial for social behavior, and its interactions with other modulatory systems that regulate the rewarding properties of social behavior. They further suggest that oxytocin-driven anandamide (NT17 here: Anandamide is an endogenous cannabinoid) signaling may be defective in autism spectrum disorders, and that correcting such deficits might offer a strategy to treat these conditions.
    Scientific evidence for what we are doing here.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

NT, I congratulate you on your success and hope it continues.

That is absolutely amazing news about the pancreatic cancer treatment. I lost an uncle in just months to PC. A friend at church now has PC and seems to be doing pretty well but I’m going to forward this to him. He’s a retired pharmacist.