Medical marijuana - a veteran's story - Page 2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar

Re: Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

I guess it just goes to show that there will always be those that believe in Reefer Madness. Irrational fear is no basis for public policy.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

I don't know if the author is a member here or has access to read the board. If not, I hope Crimson Audio will pass this message along.

Dear Mr. Anonymous;

Thank you for sharing your story. I first want to thank you for your service to this country. It is a shame the country was unable to serve you in return.

I admire you for realizing that just smoking the pot led to more problems. It is wonderful you were able to devise a plan to take the basic weed you got from a street dealer and transform it into a product that makes it possible for you to live a normal life.

I also admire you for going off disability and starting and running your own business. That is amazing and very inspiring you chose to do that rather than take the easy way out and just sitting back and waiting on a government check every month when you had the ability to work and be a productive member of society. I wish more could know your story, but I understand why you have to remain a secret.

Unfortunately, not everyone is as resourceful or as creative as you are in coming up with your own medical marijuana treatment plan. I truly believe that if given the chance, you could help others. I fully support medical marijuana becoming a legal option for people in need.

Thank you again for sharing your story and I wish you well as you move forward.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderFan View Post
    Had to sit down at keyboard so I can get my thoughts out semi-coherently.

First, I'm not here to debate whether or not marijuana works in a medicinal capacity, because obviously it does. The issues I have with legalizing it and allowing it everywhere in a medicinal role is the absolute and complete abuse that would occur. The abuse would occur with people who have trouble saying, and those that don't even try saying, enough is enough. I truly believe that punishment from law enforcement and loss of their job are the only factors that keep some people sober, and even those are deterrents for some. Can you imagine a world where, "I have a prescription" would be used by some people to wander around society almost oblivious to the world around them? Nothing in our society has escaped abuse in some form or fashion, and I feel fairly certain that prescription marijuana would fall right in line.

Secondly, my experiences were not meant to be for sympathy. I was merely trying to show that if someone with a very narrow interaction of the world can have two instances of marijuana abuse affect them directly, then I'm sure others can as well.
    People already abuse it and I don't give a Hillary Rodham if they do. Good people should not go to jail for taking something that helps them function, be productive for society, and improves their lives and the lives of their spouse and children. It is ludicrous that we are so scared of someone else getting high that we would want to put them in jail - much less good people not trying at all to get high but to have a life worth living. Beyond ludicrous. If so many lives weren't ruined by this insanity - including the spouse and children of those who do go to jail - it would be comical.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I don't know if the author is a member here or has access to read the board. If not, I hope Crimson Audio will pass this message along.

Dear Mr. Anonymous;

Thank you for sharing your story. I first want to thank you for your service to this country. It is a shame the country was unable to serve you in return.

I admire you for realizing that just smoking the pot led to more problems. It is wonderful you were able to devise a plan to take the basic weed you got from a street dealer and transform it into a product that makes it possible for you to live a normal life.

I also admire you for going off disability and starting and running your own business. That is amazing and very inspiring you chose to do that rather than take the easy way out and just sitting back and waiting on a government check every month when you had the ability to work and be a productive member of society. I wish more could know your story, but I understand why you have to remain a secret.

Unfortunately, not everyone is as resourceful or as creative as you are in coming up with your own medical marijuana treatment plan. I truly believe that if given the chance, you could help others. I fully support medical marijuana becoming a legal option for people in need.

Thank you again for sharing your story and I wish you well as you move forward.
    that was nice, but the part about "not taking the easy way out" implies that the folks that chose not to take his route, or that for what ever reason couldn't take his route are lazy.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    People already abuse it and I don't give a Hillary Rodham if they do. Good people should not go to jail for taking something that helps them function, be productive for society, and improves their lives and the lives of their spouse and children. It is ludicrous that we are so scared of someone else getting high that we would want to put them in jail - much less good people not trying at all to get high but to have a life worth living. Beyond ludicrous. If so many lives weren't ruined by this insanity - including the spouse and children of those who do go to jail - it would be comical.
    100% with you here.

Beyond that, it's insane that people still think it's okay that the government can take put you in jail for eating something that may well grow naturally in your back yard. It's insane. If the government arbitrarily added some vegetable you can grow in your backyard to that list, I wonder how many of these people would just say, "well, okay, if the government says so, it must be right..."

SMH
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    100% with you here.

Beyond that, it's insane that people still think it's okay that the government can take put you in jail for eating something that may well grow naturally in your back yard. It's insane. If the government arbitrarily added some vegetable you can grow in your backyard to that list, I wonder how many of these people would just say, "well, okay, if the government says so, it must be right..."

SMH
    But that vegetable may make you feel good. We can't have that!
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderFan View Post
    Secondly, my experiences were not meant to be for sympathy. I was merely trying to show that if someone with a very narrow interaction of the world can have two instances of marijuana abuse affect them directly, then I'm sure others can as well.
    I have a hard time believing MJ is what made those people get run over by a train. It just doesn't make you do crazy stuff like that. Surely they had underlying mental health issues and were trying to self medicate. Not that makes it any better that you had to experience that.

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    I have a hard time believing MJ is what made those people get run over by a train. It just doesn't make you do crazy stuff like that. Surely they had underlying mental health issues and were trying to self medicate. Not that makes it any better that you had to experience that.
    or mj was only one of many things they were ingesting.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

He's right even if Georgia still has work to do with their own laws.

Here is a football player that - regardless of his poor choice of colleges - would not be able to play ball and get an education for free without cannabis oil/CBD. How can anyone be against this?

And many others can benefit as well. Congress needs to act.
    Last edited by NationalTitles17; February 17th, 2018 at 03:31 PM.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame SavannahDare's Avatar

Psychiatrist checking in. I am a proponent of legalization of all drugs, so marijuana is no different. Professionally, I've seen patients' lives returned to them and been able to get them off legal psychotropics once they discovered the right combination of Sativa and Indica (we're in Florida where it's now medically legal). I've also seen patients who decompensated completely in trying to utilize marijuana instead of medications to treat their illnesses. Like all psychotropics, cannabis is not a panacea. Most proponents of it would have you believe it is, but it is not. Like any other medication, it is not for everyone and not everyone will respond to it positively.

I have this conversation with patients every single day. We simply DO NOT YET have enough reliable medical evidence (meaning double-blind studies which have been repeated time and again by different entities to validate that results are reproducible) to show how, when, and why cannabis should be used and for whom. Each person who is considering the use of it needs to bear this in mind. They also have to understand that just because it worked for their buddy, that doesn't mean it will work for them - just like any other medication. I tell patients every day, "You have to make as well-informed a decision as you can, but you won't have the type of overwhelming medical evidence available to you to help you make the decision that we would like for you to. I can only help you to a certain degree. What I cannot do is help you if you are not being honest with me about what you're using/doing, and I cannot do my job if you are introducing a substance that directly works against what I'm prescribing you, so you've GOT to communicate with me so I can reduce certain meds as you are introducing the marijuana." I've had many, many patients use it. Of those, I'd say 75-80% have had clinically significant success in improving their symptoms to enough degree to reduce or eliminate their psychotropics (and I've been more than happy to do so). The rest have been a mixed bag of falling apart to abusing it to worsening their overall functioning to having to be hospitalized. These numbers are anecdotal to my practice (I currently manage a little over 1,000 patients and I'd guess 10% of them use marijuana regularly, but only about 4-5% of them do so legally), but they are similar to how other psychotropics work for patients.

Anyway, we need legalization at a federal level to ever get enough funds for the type of research that is truly needed. We have enough evidence to support further research. It is such a promising chemical and we have millions of cannabinoid receptors throughout our bodies. We are SUPPOSED to be using it in some way, responsibly, safely, and in the proper situations. Of course, that goes for opioids too. Look where that has gotten us... But I digress.
    ďA human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.Ē
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by SavannahDare View Post

Anyway, we need legalization at a federal level to ever get enough funds for the type of research that is truly needed. We have enough evidence to support further research. It is such a promising chemical and we have millions of cannabinoid receptors throughout our bodies. We are SUPPOSED to be using it in some way, responsibly, safely, and in the proper situations. Of course, that goes for opioids too. Look where that has gotten us... But I digress.
    At least removal from schedule 1

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    100% with you here.

This has been addressed a hundred and fifty years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ward Beecher, 1866
    the Federal Government is unfit to exercise minor police and local government, and will inevitably blunder when it attempts it.
    But he was pro-slavery so, ... Wait a minute, okay, maybe he wasn't pro-slavery but, ...
    Last edited by Tidewater; May 27th, 2018 at 03:22 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

The argument against legalizing pot, warning about the danger of having people under the influence interacting with those that are not, reminds me of the old days... when people warned the public about the dangers of birth control and how it would expose society to all that rampant sexuality.