Medical marijuana - a veteran's story - Page 3
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 155
  1. #27
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4,339

    Re: Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    At least removal from schedule 1
    They really do. I'm for complete legalization but it would be nice to understand it better while legalizing. I'm sure there is a bunch we misunderstand or don't understand at all about it.

  2. #28
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,512

    Re: Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

    Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran View Post
    The argument against legalizing pot, warning about the danger of having people under the influence interacting with those that are not, reminds me of the old days... when people warned the public about the dangers of birth control and how it would expose society to all that rampant sexuality.
    I am entirely confident that alcohol and tobacco are and have been far greater in terms of cause of death than marijuana.

    The fact that we jail a significant percentage of the population including a massively disproportionate percentage of minorities while openly encouraging the use of alcohol and tobacco just doesn't pass the smell test.

  3. #29
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4,339

    Re: Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

    As war vets enter the fray, stigma lessens around cannabis



    Found this today and didn't want to start a new thread.

    Vietnam War veteran Terry Chambers gets up every morning and promptly commits a state and federal crime in his hometown of Marion, Ind.: He crunches on a cannabis cookie.

    It remains illegal to possess marijuana in the United States, yet 60 percent of Americans now live in states that allow either medical or recreational cannabis.

    Indiana began allowing the medical use of non-psychoactive cannabis extracts in March, but Mr. Chambers is still committing a criminal misdemeanor with his illicit scratch baking. No matter, he says. A teetotaler who doesn’t smoke, he credits the cookies with breaking a 21-year-long opioid addiction that he says, “took my manhood.”

  4. #30
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,008

    Re: Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

    I wrote that. The main reason I felt I had to stay anonymous was because of our business. A couple months ago, 2 of our employees were involved in accidents 1 week apart. Boring details aside, we had to close the business, so time for something new. We don't yet know what that is, but we will give it our all.

    Perhaps it is mostly the added stress, but I was beginning to get declining benefits even before this. Could be that the strains I have gotten lately haven't been exactly what I needed or maybe a combination of that and the major life events. All I know is that my family and I can't go back to the way it was. We have considered moving to a state where it is at least medically legal, but financially we are not currently in a position to do so. We have also considered just me going and trying to find something that lets us live a more normal life, but frankly, and this is hard to admit, I am scared to go without my wife. Spouses that stay with their partner after he/she is changed so much are truly amazing people. Many of us that were some of the most independent people you could ever meet are now frustratingly dependent on others.

    I am lost and not sure where to go from here.

    Thanks for letting me vent a bit.

  5. #31
    Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mountainous Northern California
    Posts
    13,191

    Re: Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

    Quote Originally Posted by G-VilleTider View Post
    I wrote that. The main reason I felt I had to stay anonymous was because of our business. A couple months ago, 2 of our employees were involved in accidents 1 week apart. Boring details aside, we had to close the business, so time for something new. We don't yet know what that is, but we will give it our all.

    Perhaps it is mostly the added stress, but I was beginning to get declining benefits even before this. Could be that the strains I have gotten lately haven't been exactly what I needed or maybe a combination of that and the major life events. All I know is that my family and I can't go back to the way it was. We have considered moving to a state where it is at least medically legal, but financially we are not currently in a position to do so. We have also considered just me going and trying to find something that lets us live a more normal life, but frankly, and this is hard to admit, I am scared to go without my wife. Spouses that stay with their partner after he/she is changed so much are truly amazing people. Many of us that were some of the most independent people you could ever meet are now frustratingly dependent on others.

    I am lost and not sure where to go from here.

    Thanks for letting me vent a bit.
    I can't thank you enough for sharing. I hope you guys find your solution soon. We are pulling for you here.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

    The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

  6. #32
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Arlington, Tx
    Posts
    1,579

    Re: Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

    Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    I have a hard time believing MJ is what made those people get run over by a train. It just doesn't make you do crazy stuff like that. Surely they had underlying mental health issues and were trying to self medicate. Not that makes it any better that you had to experience that.
    Often, when I read things like this, I chalk it up to people being ignorant of what marijuana is really like. They never tried it, because they were afraid to for whatever reason (I was once in this category) and believed all of the totally negative commentary that they were fed by the education system, the government, the church, and our parents. Go smoke a bowl and tell me how crazy it makes you act. Tell me how addicted you get to it. Tell me all the other hardcore drugs it makes you want to do. Because I have done it. And none of those things happened to me ever. Never went nuts. Never got addicted (can't remember the last time I used it...nearly a year at least), and have never been tempted to try anything else. I say it was like my best drunk ever without the nausea and hangover. I felt good for several hours, then I was straight again.

  7. #33
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 92tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    East Point, Ga, USA
    Posts
    36,809

    Re: Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

    Quote Originally Posted by RedWave View Post
    Often, when I read things like this, I chalk it up to people being ignorant of what marijuana is really like. They never tried it, because they were afraid to for whatever reason (I was once in this category) and believed all of the totally negative commentary that they were fed by the education system, the government, the church, and our parents. Go smoke a bowl and tell me how crazy it makes you act. Tell me how addicted you get to it. Tell me all the other hardcore drugs it makes you want to do. Because I have done it. And none of those things happened to me ever. Never went nuts. Never got addicted (can't remember the last time I used it...nearly a year at least), and have never been tempted to try anything else. I say it was like my best drunk ever without the nausea and hangover. I felt good for several hours, then I was straight again.
    reefer madness
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

    - George Orwell

    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

    ó Thomas Pynchon

  8. #34
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4,339

    Re: Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

    Quote Originally Posted by RedWave View Post
    Often, when I read things like this, I chalk it up to people being ignorant of what marijuana is really like. They never tried it, because they were afraid to for whatever reason (I was once in this category) and believed all of the totally negative commentary that they were fed by the education system, the government, the church, and our parents. Go smoke a bowl and tell me how crazy it makes you act. Tell me how addicted you get to it. Tell me all the other hardcore drugs it makes you want to do. Because I have done it. And none of those things happened to me ever. Never went nuts. Never got addicted (can't remember the last time I used it...nearly a year at least), and have never been tempted to try anything else. I say it was like my best drunk ever without the nausea and hangover. I felt good for several hours, then I was straight again.
    I will say that while it's not chemically addictive I do know people who have become dependent on it and have had a hard time quitting. But obviously the risk for that is wayyyyy lower than any other drug including alcohol.


    And you're right about the whole gateway argument being a bunch of nonsense. Some people do try harder drugs after pot but most would have done so anyway. Pot did not lead to them trying those harder drugs.

  9. #35
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Arlington, Tx
    Posts
    1,579

    Re: Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

    I have two children who are now in college and approaching legal drinking age. I will say without hesitation that I would much prefer both of them use marijuana as their occasional indulgence instead of alcohol. I like to drink. Don't get me wrong. But I go that route due to testing at my work and the fear of getting caught breaking a silly law. I fail to see why we as a country say that consuming alcohol is ok but consuming this plant is not. I hear people talking about people showing up to work high. Well, there are ways to check for that. We don't allow people to show up to work drunk, and alcohol is legal. Why can't you have the same restrictions on being high? Seems logical to me you can disallow both. Now, I don't like to think in absolutes (I am not a Sith), but for the most part I believe that use of marijuana, for medicinal or recreational purposes, is less harmful and danger to others than alcohol. And I doubt it can be proven otherwise.

  10. #36
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4,339

    Re: Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

    Quote Originally Posted by RedWave View Post
    I have two children who are now in college and approaching legal drinking age. I will say without hesitation that I would much prefer both of them use marijuana as their occasional indulgence instead of alcohol. I like to drink. Don't get me wrong. But I go that route due to testing at my work and the fear of getting caught breaking a silly law. I fail to see why we as a country say that consuming alcohol is ok but consuming this plant is not. I hear people talking about people showing up to work high. Well, there are ways to check for that. We don't allow people to show up to work drunk, and alcohol is legal. Why can't you have the same restrictions on being high? Seems logical to me you can disallow both. Now, I don't like to think in absolutes (I am not a Sith), but for the most part I believe that use of marijuana, for medicinal or recreational purposes, is less harmful and danger to others than alcohol. And I doubt it can be proven otherwise.
    Agreed completely. The only issue with marijuana is that isn't currently easy to test for. Hard core marijuana users could have it in their urine for months after their last use depending on a variety of factors. That is likely a much bigger issue when it comes to driving than at work though.

  11. #37
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Arlington, Tx
    Posts
    1,579

    Re: Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Agreed completely. The only issue with marijuana is that isn't currently easy to test for. Hard core marijuana users could have it in their urine for months after their last use depending on a variety of factors. That is likely a much bigger issue when it comes to driving than at work though.
    Correct, but coming up with effective methods of verifying someone is not currently under the influence should not be all that difficult, don't you agree?

  12. #38
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4,339

    Re: Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

    Quote Originally Posted by RedWave View Post
    Correct, but coming up with effective methods of verifying someone is not currently under the influence should not be all that difficult, don't you agree?
    For the most part thats probably accurate. TBH its the one thing about pot that I haven't really cared to researched a ton. IIRC someone here or on another thread posted an article about a solution to this but I don't remember it all that well.

  13. #39
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 92tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    East Point, Ga, USA
    Posts
    36,809

    Re: Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

    Quote Originally Posted by RedWave View Post
    Correct, but coming up with effective methods of verifying someone is not currently under the influence should not be all that difficult, don't you agree?
    i'm guessing with all of the legalization going on, there will be new methods of testing developed that can show impairment or not vs. just showing prior use
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

    - George Orwell

    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

    ó Thomas Pynchon

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear