Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
there should be plenty of local knowledge. :) from what i remember from going to dead shows, humboldt grows the diggiest of the dank
No Cal is where the good stuff is. I have a few I can turn to for tips.

Is that 6 or 12 per person or per household?
My friend might have been talking about him and his wife. He did say there was no punishment if you grew more; if caught, LE would just pull up the excess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
per person, at least locally. Some counties/cities allow more.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
An update:

It's been 3-1/2 weeks since our trip to the cannabis doctor. Getting the card was easy enough. We had to have a letter from his provider stating his conditions and medications. His PCP has been supportive of our efforts, so this was no problem. The doctor was OK and was able to answer some questions and his answers aligned with what I had already learned. I was not terribly impressed, but we got what we came for and the process was easy enough and the experience positive.

When we got to the dispensary we pretty much knew what we were looking for so the process was efficient. We got some tablets with a 1:1 ratio of THC:CBD at about 5 mg each and some candies with about 10 mg each. The process included filling out some paperwork and presenting the papers from the doctor. Medical users typically get a discount and aren't charged tax. Over time this can make a sizeable difference and for a minor is essential for legal protection. He was able to go to the back. He seemed both weirded out by this and felt it was pretty cool, but he was not the only teenager I saw there with a parent.

Prior to going we had spoken with the school about extending his school day and about our trip and its purpose. Their stance was that any midday dose would have to be given by me off campus. I reminded them that a CA judge had ruled in favor of a similarly situated student having it given by the school nurse. The matter is unresolved for now with no immediate need to resolve it since he leaves around midday anyway and this is unlikely to change before the end of the school year.

We began with twice daily dosing of one tab like the CW (Charlotte's Web) CBD. We experimented with 2 tabs at once and three time a day dosing. One tab three times a day seems to be where we've settled for coming up on two weeks now. We had noticed that meltdowns tended to occur at about 3 PM or a little after so we added the third dose between mid/late morning and early afternoon.

So what are the results so far? With this dosing (knock on wood, cross fingers, hang a horseshoe, find a 4-leaf clover, hang a dreamcatcher, and whatever else you can think of) there has not been a single meltdown. Not one. Prior to this we could expect one or two a week with a few more that were narrowly avoided or that were mini-meltdowns. The 1-2/week only included the major ones. Additionally, we've gone from slightly agitated to volatile emotionally to a happy and energetic disposition that more closely resembles his "normal" as a younger child. He is more social and better socially (though still quite awkward). He actively tries to enter conversations in public. He smiles more. He laughs more. He is less agitated and less easy to anger. He tolerates people better. He has more fun. He has taken back up drawing. He seems to be able to concentrate and focus more easily and for longer. He is trying new foods and sometimes liking them (today he ate 3/4 of a plain bacon cheeseburger from a local restaurant - miracle!). I'm almost afraid I'll jinx it, but it's like my kid is back. I almost feel like I can relax ever so slightly. Almost (something any autism parent understands).

We still have our struggles, but this seems like a bit of a miracle and we pray the good fortune continues. It is still very early on and we understand there are no guarantees, but we've had an injection of hope.

The next steps involve making any needed dosage tweaks and getting what is needed to grow and process our own as buying from dispensaries is quite expensive. 20 tabs is roughly $40-45. It takes at least 60/month just for him (we have more than one autistic child, the other is an adult and he is using some in lower quantities as well - not to mention mom. Overall, it is helping everyone in different ways. I abstain for professional reasons). It's easy to see this could cost a few hundred $/month. Growing will be much more easily sustainable. I've educated myself a great deal on that. I'm almost ready to get the needed supplies and get it going once I nail down a few more details. I should be able to grow year-round with a steady supply if all goes well and make it into tablets, capsules, and candies. No one here wants to smoke it, so that's the way to go. I won't get into the details of that side of things for now but at times learning has been fascinating. Maybe I'll grown some aloe vera and/or fresh veggies while I'm at it. Some fresh okra sounds good and it can't be found here.

Back on topic, I never knew there were so many strain of cannabis or just how complex the the plant is in chemistry with each strain producing each component at different levels and then those components producing different effects together based on their percentages. CBD counteracts THC side effects like anxiety and paranoia and has a generally calming effect by itself. CBN promotes sleep. One strain's effects can be quite different from another's regardless of the general tendencies of indica's, sativa's, or hybrids. Some grow short and broad, others tall and skinny. There are about as many ways to grow it as there are people growing it. My plan is a strain that is roughly 1:1 THC:CBD in soil, indoors. There are some local laws that along with the climate make indoors more viable.

My crew tells me that these doses don't make them feel high (not that I really care if it helps), but it has helped.

As I've said before, this is not what I expected to be doing for my kid(s) but here we are. Of course, before my kids were born my understanding of autism was Rain Man and about 5 minutes of actual education and maybe a story on 20/20. So if that's close to the level of your understanding I ask that you refrain from making judgments about things you don't understand and that you educate yourself both academically and with some real people experience. Even then, you won't know what it's like to live it so keep that in mind. This plant is helping everyone from cancer, chronic pain, addiction, and glaucoma patients to veterans and others with depression, anxiety, and PTSD (and literally saving their lives in many cases) to children with formerly intractable seizures that now have few if any seizures with this medicine. Nonverbal autistic children whose stimming includes self-harm like headbanging and biting have stopped hurting themselves and begun talking after taking this medicine. I have some strong words for anyone who would want to take it away from anyone who needs it, but more than anything I hope you and your loved ones never have to experience any of these things in order for your mind to be changed and for you to have some compassion and understanding. I hope that should you or your loved ones ever need it that it is there for you without legal jeopardy or intrusive outside judgment.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
An update:

It's been 3-1/2 weeks since our trip to the cannabis doctor. Getting the card was easy enough. We had to have a letter from his provider stating his conditions and medications. His PCP has been supportive of our efforts, so this was no problem. The doctor was OK and was able to answer some questions and his answers aligned with what I had already learned. I was not terribly impressed, but we got what we came for and the process was easy enough and the experience positive.

When we got to the dispensary we pretty much knew what we were looking for so the process was efficient. We got some tablets with a 1:1 ratio of THC:CBD at about 5 mg each and some candies with about 10 mg each. The process included filling out some paperwork and presenting the papers from the doctor. Medical users typically get a discount and aren't charged tax. Over time this can make a sizeable difference and for a minor is essential for legal protection. He was able to go to the back. He seemed both weirded out by this and felt it was pretty cool, but he was not the only teenager I saw there with a parent.

Prior to going we had spoken with the school about extending his school day and about our trip and its purpose. Their stance was that any midday dose would have to be given by me off campus. I reminded them that a CA judge had ruled in favor of a similarly situated student having it given by the school nurse. The matter is unresolved for now with no immediate need to resolve it since he leaves around midday anyway and this is unlikely to change before the end of the school year.

We began with twice daily dosing of one tab like the CW (Charlotte's Web) CBD. We experimented with 2 tabs at once and three time a day dosing. One tab three times a day seems to be where we've settled for coming up on two weeks now. We had noticed that meltdowns tended to occur at about 3 PM or a little after so we added the third dose between mid/late morning and early afternoon.

So what are the results so far? With this dosing (knock on wood, cross fingers, hang a horseshoe, find a 4-leaf clover, hang a dreamcatcher, and whatever else you can think of) there has not been a single meltdown. Not one. Prior to this we could expect one or two a week with a few more that were narrowly avoided or that were mini-meltdowns. The 1-2/week only included the major ones. Additionally, we've gone from slightly agitated to volatile emotionally to a happy and energetic disposition that more closely resembles his "normal" as a younger child. He is more social and better socially (though still quite awkward). He actively tries to enter conversations in public. He smiles more. He laughs more. He is less agitated and less easy to anger. He tolerates people better. He has more fun. He has taken back up drawing. He seems to be able to concentrate and focus more easily and for longer. He is trying new foods and sometimes liking them (today he ate 3/4 of a plain bacon cheeseburger from a local restaurant - miracle!). I'm almost afraid I'll jinx it, but it's like my kid is back. I almost feel like I can relax ever so slightly. Almost (something any autism parent understands).

We still have our struggles, but this seems like a bit of a miracle and we pray the good fortune continues. It is still very early on and we understand there are no guarantees, but we've had an injection of hope.

The next steps involve making any needed dosage tweaks and getting what is needed to grow and process our own as buying from dispensaries is quite expensive. 20 tabs is roughly $40-45. It takes at least 60/month just for him (we have more than one autistic child, the other is an adult and he is using some in lower quantities as well - not to mention mom. Overall, it is helping everyone in different ways. I abstain for professional reasons). It's easy to see this could cost a few hundred $/month. Growing will be much more easily sustainable. I've educated myself a great deal on that. I'm almost ready to get the needed supplies and get it going once I nail down a few more details. I should be able to grow year-round with a steady supply if all goes well and make it into tablets, capsules, and candies. No one here wants to smoke it, so that's the way to go. I won't get into the details of that side of things for now but at times learning has been fascinating. Maybe I'll grown some aloe vera and/or fresh veggies while I'm at it. Some fresh okra sounds good and it can't be found here.

Back on topic, I never knew there were so many strain of cannabis or just how complex the the plant is in chemistry with each strain producing each component at different levels and then those components producing different effects together based on their percentages. CBD counteracts THC side effects like anxiety and paranoia and has a generally calming effect by itself. CBN promotes sleep. One strain's effects can be quite different from another's regardless of the general tendencies of indica's, sativa's, or hybrids. Some grow short and broad, others tall and skinny. There are about as many ways to grow it as there are people growing it. My plan is a strain that is roughly 1:1 THC:CBD in soil, indoors. There are some local laws that along with the climate make indoors more viable.

My crew tells me that these doses don't make them feel high (not that I really care if it helps), but it has helped.

As I've said before, this is not what I expected to be doing for my kid(s) but here we are. Of course, before my kids were born my understanding of autism was Rain Man and about 5 minutes of actual education and maybe a story on 20/20. So if that's close to the level of your understanding I ask that you refrain from making judgments about things you don't understand and that you educate yourself both academically and with some real people experience. Even then, you won't know what it's like to live it so keep that in mind. This plant is helping everyone from cancer, chronic pain, addiction, and glaucoma patients to veterans and others with depression, anxiety, and PTSD (and literally saving their lives in many cases) to children with formerly intractable seizures that now have few if any seizures with this medicine. Nonverbal autistic children whose stimming includes self-harm like headbanging and biting have stopped hurting themselves and begun talking after taking this medicine. I have some strong words for anyone who would want to take it away from anyone who needs it, but more than anything I hope you and your loved ones never have to experience any of these things in order for your mind to be changed and for you to have some compassion and understanding. I hope that should you or your loved ones ever need it that it is there for you without legal jeopardy or intrusive outside judgment.
thanks for the update nt!

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Awesome, NT. What a blessing for your family. I’m very happy for your family and pray this medicine will continue to help them.

And thank you so much for sharing this story. Hopefully open minded people will be moved to think about marijuana from a different perspective.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Stories like ours are making a difference. A new CBS poll shows 65% of Americans support legalization.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/support-for-marijuana-legalization-hits-new-high-cbs-news-poll-finds/

This is somewhere close to critical mass and I expect descheduling at the federal level within 5 years as more states, including Alabama, make it legal for at least medical uses and others move toward full legalization.

There is a steep learning curve in using this for medicine. Not just strains, but when you harvest can have a significant effect on the chemistry and therefore the overall effects. And while there is a lot of good information out there it's also true that not all the info is good and the process is still very much trial and error.

It's also humorous how the grow tents, super soil, and hydroponic and other equipment developed mainly for this purpose is sold with generic houseplants and fruits/veggies being pictured with the product on Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, and other retailers.

Thanks for the support. I really didn't want to hijack this thread, but I hope by adding our story to it the original story will be seen by more eyes and maybe others will add theirs and overall the impact will be broadened.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Stories like ours are making a difference. A new CBS poll shows 65% of Americans support legalization.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/support-for-marijuana-legalization-hits-new-high-cbs-news-poll-finds/

This is somewhere close to critical mass and I expect descheduling at the federal level within 5 years as more states, including Alabama, make it legal for at least medical uses and others move toward full legalization.

There is a steep learning curve in using this for medicine. Not just strains, but when you harvest can have a significant effect on the chemistry and therefore the overall effects. And while there is a lot of good information out there it's also true that not all the info is good and the process is still very much trial and error.

It's also humorous how the grow tents, super soil, and hydroponic and other equipment developed mainly for this purpose is sold with generic houseplants and fruits/veggies being pictured with the product on Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, and other retailers.

Thanks for the support. I really didn't want to hijack this thread, but I hope by adding our story to it the original story will be seen by more eyes and maybe others will add theirs and overall the impact will be broadened.
hijack away. i think this is a very important issue. attitudes are definitely changing and it is in large part because of personal stories like this hitting home for folks.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Another update:

Well, I maybe did jinx it as later that same day was a meltdown.

That said, none since (knock on wood) and

1. I took him to see his friend in a play that lasted three hours and then he stayed longer to congratulate his friend on a good job. And there was some singing in this play (Beauty and the Beast), which he usually would not be able to endure.

2. He went today and watched Endgame. He had to move midway through because a loudly breathing and smacking kid got on his nerves too much (on mine too) but he moved to another seat in back of us and stayed for the whole movie. He has not been able to do that in 2 years. (Came back to add that this was with him wearing earplugs during the movie like always because it's too loud for him at baseline without them)

He is happier and handles stress better.

Thank God for cannabis and for most people finally seeing the good it can do. This was a desperation move for us, but one based on the best information we could find and after all others failed more than they helped.

He is MUCH more social.

I am getting prepared to start our grow here at home. I have to order a number of things, but since soil prep is going to take the longest it will get ordered first. Then I'll get the seeds and so on. I want to get the first round right so I've taken a lot of time to learn how to do it right. Crossing my fingers it pays off.

I'll update from time to time.

I hope Alabama does pass the medical bill and that it isn't too restrictive. My mom is taking the CBD but I feel the THC would benefit her much better than some of the meds she's on. It's ridiculous but I know they're working within the parameters they have.

Last time we went to the shop there was an old couple that came in. The lady looked in her late 70's-80's and she was there to buy CBD for her arthritis pain on the advice of her doctor. They were adorable.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Another update:

Well, I maybe did jinx it as later that same day was a meltdown.

That said, none since (knock on wood) and

1. I took him to see his friend in a play that lasted three hours and then he stayed longer to congratulate his friend on a good job. And there was some singing in this play (Beauty and the Beast), which he usually would not be able to endure.

2. He went today and watched Endgame. He had to move midway through because a loudly breathing and smacking kid got on his nerves too much (on mine too) but he moved to another seat in back of us and stayed for the whole movie. He has not been able to do that in 2 years. (Came back to add that this was with him wearing earplugs during the movie like always because it's too loud for him at baseline without them)

He is happier and handles stress better.

Thank God for cannabis and for most people finally seeing the good it can do. This was a desperation move for us, but one based on the best information we could find and after all others failed more than they helped.

He is MUCH more social.

I am getting prepared to start our grow here at home. I have to order a number of things, but since soil prep is going to take the longest it will get ordered first. Then I'll get the seeds and so on. I want to get the first round right so I've taken a lot of time to learn how to do it right. Crossing my fingers it pays off.

I'll update from time to time.

I hope Alabama does pass the medical bill and that it isn't too restrictive. My mom is taking the CBD but I feel the THC would benefit her much better than some of the meds she's on. It's ridiculous but I know they're working within the parameters they have.

Last time we went to the shop there was an old couple that came in. The lady looked in her late 70's-80's and she was there to buy CBD for her arthritis pain on the advice of her doctor. They were adorable.
This is a link my nephew shared. He was within a semester of a degree in criminal justice at UAH when he decided that wasn't for him, quit and went to work in the psych ward at Huntsville Hospital, where he has worked all of his adult life as an attendant. He's burly and a former martial arts semipro with an impressive record. He says our mental health system is a shambles, a revolving door, with the criminal justice system trying to cover what mental institutions used to do. He relates one incident which was amusing but poignant. He was sitting on a patient who'd come in violent on a particularly nasty drug. He said he told the guy "Twenty years ago, I was in the same room, sitting on you. Now, twenty years later, here I am, sitting on you. Neither of us has made any progress"...

AL.com

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
This is a link my nephew shared. He was within a semester of a degree in criminal justice at UAH when he decided that wasn't for him, quit and went to work in the psych ward at Huntsville Hospital, where he has worked all of his adult life as an attendant. He's burly and a former martial arts semipro with an impressive record. He says our mental health system is a shambles, a revolving door, with the criminal justice system trying to cover what mental institutions used to do. He relates one incident which was amusing but poignant. He was sitting on a patient who'd come in violent on a particularly nasty drug. He said he told the guy "Twenty years ago, I was in the same room, sitting on you. Now, twenty years later, here I am, sitting on you. Neither of us has made any progress"...

AL.com
He's correct.

I've seen it for some time, but working the local jail here it is glaring: jails ARE the mental health system for many. That system is costly and ineffective.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Serious question: I know our mental health system is horribly ineffective but how can we fix it? I’ve heard about fixing the mental health situation for decades but I’ve never seen any real solutions.

The only solution I’ve seen with anything remotely mental health relative is in Europe having daycares integrated with assisted living/retirement centers and small secluded communities for those with dementia and Alzheimers, mainly in Europe.

What can we do about mental health in the US?

(I have a stake in this with a family issue.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Serious question: I know our mental health system is horribly ineffective but how can we fix it? I’ve heard about fixing the mental health situation for decades but I’ve never seen any real solutions.

The only solution I’ve seen with anything remotely mental health relative is in Europe having daycares integrated with assisted living/retirement centers and small secluded communities for those with dementia and Alzheimers, mainly in Europe.

What can we do about mental health in the US?

(I have a stake in this with a family issue.)

When the courts ruled that the state could not hold people in mental institutions for life and had to provide appropriate treatment the states decided instead to spend the money on law enforcement/war on drugs/prisons and NOT community mental health. Some states do better than others. Alabama is among the worst.

As is is people usually enter the mental health system after contact with police. They are sent to different inpatient facilities, stabilized, then sent right back into the community without proper supports; rinse and repeat. Those lucky enough to have insurance find a shortage of beds at such facilities and so often still lack access to the help they need for stabilization.

Real solutions include shifting money from law enforcement/war on drugs/prisons back into community mental health. A priority should be acute beds to help stabilize those is crisis. Another point of emphasis should be community supports to include adequate housing, either in group settings or embedded within existing communities and also nursing and/or other staff to assist with needs like medications and travel to outpatient appointments. States could encourage more to enter mental health professions so there are enough professionals to meet the need.

I don't buy the excuse that there isn't enough money because there is enough. Mental health is not prioritized is all. Alabama's leaders would rather build prisons, pour money down the drain in a failed war on drugs, and spend millions on losing court battles over abortion. The only things keeping any of this from being a "real solution" or part thereof are the deliberate ignorance and stubbornness of so-called leaders.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
When the courts ruled that the state could not hold people in mental institutions for life and had to provide appropriate treatment the states decided instead to spend the money on law enforcement/war on drugs/prisons and NOT community mental health. Some states do better than others. Alabama is among the worst.

As is is people usually enter the mental health system after contact with police. They are sent to different inpatient facilities, stabilized, then sent right back into the community without proper supports; rinse and repeat. Those lucky enough to have insurance find a shortage of beds at such facilities and so often still lack access to the help they need for stabilization.

Real solutions include shifting money from law enforcement/war on drugs/prisons back into community mental health. A priority should be acute beds to help stabilize those is crisis. Another point of emphasis should be community supports to include adequate housing, either in group settings or embedded within existing communities and also nursing and/or other staff to assist with needs like medications and travel to outpatient appointments. States could encourage more to enter mental health professions so there are enough professionals to meet the need.

I don't buy the excuse that there isn't enough money because there is enough. Mental health is not prioritized is all. Alabama's leaders would rather build prisons, pour money down the drain in a failed war on drugs, and spend millions on losing court battles over abortion. The only things keeping any of this from being a "real solution" or part thereof are the deliberate ignorance and stubbornness of so-called leaders.
O'Connor v. Donaldson, 1975 SCOTUS decision is what you're thinking of. Mental illness should never have been a constitutional issue. It's strictly a medical issue. I don't know a single mental health worker who doesn't regard it as a disaster for their field...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
O'Connor v. Donaldson, 1975 SCOTUS decision is what you're thinking of. Mental illness should never have been a constitutional issue. It's strictly a medical issue. I don't know a single mental health worker who doesn't regard it as a disaster for their field...
I don't.

The disasters occurred before and after the ruling. First, the states incarcerated many whom they had no reason to incarcerate once treatments became available. Then the states decided to just move on to something else that would allow them to incarcerate and thus jails became the states' mental health facilities after the ruling.

Basically, the states decided to abdicate when there were better alternatives.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
NT17, wanted to share a recent experience since many of my symptoms present as autistic type behaviors (varying degrees of expressive aphasia to include complete, not being able to sit down or stay still, constant movement and uncouncious constant touching of face, head. etc.) I had been doing so well for a long time (for me) I thought I could manage without. Unfortunately, it has been a lesson that I have had to learn several times. Each time the return crash has been more intense than the last. In your field, I am sure it is a problem that you are all too familiar with. In the unlikely event you weren't aware of this potential problem, I thought I would share in case it could warn someone.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't.

The disasters occurred before and after the ruling. First, the states incarcerated many whom they had no reason to incarcerate once treatments became available. Then the states decided to just move on to something else that would allow them to incarcerate and thus jails became the states' mental health facilities after the ruling.

Basically, the states decided to abdicate when there were better alternatives.
Well, the shrinks I know, and this includes both MDs and clinical psychologists, say the problem lies with the total ruling out of permanent care and there are some patients who simply can't be cared for any other way, so the baby went out with the bath. The disasters which occurred after the ruling simply have no answer now except the sidewalk or jail. They are free to live under a bridge. I've watched this slow-motion train crash from the sidelines now for decades...

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Thanks. I didn’t know the history. Luckily, our family has been able to get the care we need and w shave a lot of support from family and friends.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Well, the shrinks I know, and this includes both MDs and clinical psychologists, say the problem lies with the total ruling out of permanent care and there are some patients who simply can't be cared for any other way, so the baby went out with the bath. The disasters which occurred after the ruling simply have no answer now except the sidewalk or jail. They are free to live under a bridge. I've watched this slow-motion train crash from the sidelines now for decades...
I agree that a certain number need resident care and did not mean to state otherwise. That said, states have done nothing to address the care of these people in any setting. Illinois does(or did) have some communities set up to assist. California has IHSS for in-home services. Alabama has nothing other than some limited medicaid waivers.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
In Alabama, Wyatt vs. Stickney or the Judge Johnson ruling as we in the mental health field called it, upset the mental health applecart. Similar rulings swept the country.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/05/the-alabama-case-that-changed-mental-health-care.html

Johnson ruled in 1971 that all patients held involuntarily in state hospitals had a right to treatment that might enable them to regain their freedom. He created a set of minimum standards, including staff and treatment protocols, that raised the bar for treatment in Alabama.
By the time the case came to a close, Alabama leaders had dramatically reduced the number of patients inside its mental institutions because the state couldn’t afford to improve treatment for the thousands of people in its care. Instead, mental health authorities released most of them with plans to create community-based treatment. Bryce released half their patients by 1975 and over time, the number of patients inside Bryce shrunk from 5,000 to 400 – saving the state millions of dollars.
The problem is that most of the much touted community treatment centers never happened. The long term treatment center in Decatur closed a while ago. Choices now are jail and Huntsville Hospital. The irony is that Obamacare included $10,000 in mental health treatment for each policy holder. But where could they go?

The link that Tide-HSV shared seems like a breath of fresh air.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
NT17, wanted to share a recent experience since many of my symptoms present as autistic type behaviors (varying degrees of expressive aphasia to include complete, not being able to sit down or stay still, constant movement and uncouncious constant touching of face, head. etc.) I had been doing so well for a long time (for me) I thought I could manage without. Unfortunately, it has been a lesson that I have had to learn several times. Each time the return crash has been more intense than the last. In your field, I am sure it is a problem that you are all too familiar with. In the unlikely event you weren't aware of this potential problem, I thought I would share in case it could warn someone.
Thank you. I am aware and so long as the benefit is there we intend to continue with its use. We also have no plans to discontinue use of other medications except under the supervision of a professional. For one, we don't want to inadvertently mess things up and for another we don't want any reasonable person to be able to say we were negligent in our duties.

Trips out of state concern me the most, but I intend to keep the CW CBD around for those and we may pursue a legal prescription for thc for such trips (synthetic thc is a legally prescribed drug called marinol).

I advise those using it not to stop suddenly, just like most other medications. If they benefit, they should continue anyway. Cost does become a factor. Although I cannot make a recommendation (a legal written one that carries weight) in CA, nothing prohibits me (confirmed through the Conant v Walters decision) from discussing these issues with them.

Soil products ordered/bought. Awaiting a few more ingredients then I'll mix them and let sit for 4-6 weeks to "cook". It will take that long to get something that can be grown. In the meantime I'll get the equipment and get it set up. I'm "excited" to be getting closer to doing something instead of just learning - and the learning curve has been steep. Sometimes my eyes feel ready to pop out of my head. I've had to learn everything from the ground up - medium (supersoil), light (needs a lot), ventilation and odor control, temperature, humidity, air movement (not to be confused to ventilation), the six cannabinoids and what they do (more than just thc and cbd - there's also thcv, cbc, cbn, and cbg - and their inactive acid structures, which brings me to), decarboxylation, methods of growing, watering, harvesting, drying, storing, making a product for consumption from it (infusing into edibles, making capsules, etc;...), not to mention choosing between hundreds of strains with different combinations of cannabinoids producing different effects.

And that's where I am now. I've settled on two strains for sure: harlequin (5:2 CBD:THC ratio about 10-16%:4-6%) and OG Kush CBD (1:1 at 10% each). I am looking for strains that express consistently and these do it. I am also looking for two more strains to try out. Northern Lights (one slightly higher thc content) is high on the list as is Royal Highness (for the 1:1 ratio and more uplifting effects), but not completely decided yet(Jack Herer is another on this list in looking for an uplifting strain without anxiety as a side effect). One factor in choosing is that I only want feminized seeds. That has eliminated a number of otherwise good candidates, but there are enough out there that one can be found. There's even a Charlotte's Web with nearly equal parts thc and cbd that I may give a go.

The tabs he's currently taking are 5mg:5mg and we'll likely end up at about 7.5mg (if I get the math correct).

I've learned far more than I ever thought possible in the past few months.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
In Alabama, Wyatt vs. Stickney or the Judge Johnson ruling as we in the mental health field called it, upset the mental health applecart. Similar rulings swept the country.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/05/the-alabama-case-that-changed-mental-health-care.html

The problem is that most of the much touted community treatment centers never happened. The long term treatment center in Decatur closed a while ago. Choices now are jail and Huntsville Hospital. The irony is that Obamacare included $10,000 in mental health treatment for each policy holder. But where could they go?

The link that Tide-HSV shared seems like a breath of fresh air.
Exactly, and thank you for posting this. I couldn't think of the name of the other ruling but it had a huge effect. The failure to follow through on the promised community based treatment is what I was referring to earlier. There are three state mental health hospitals in Alabama (the last I knew). Private beds are hard to come by as well. Alabama has failed horribly on mental health, but it's not alone.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.