Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Thank you so much.

Your dedication and love for your son are truly inspiring.

Forgive the brevity as the mental dullness has not fully dissipated.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Thank you so much.

Your dedication and love for your son are truly inspiring.

Forgive the brevity as the mental dullness has not fully dissipated.
You have nothing for which to apologize.

Seeds are ordered. Good variety but not everything was available. I have to go back and find the place that sells harlequin (for my older son who has arthritis type pains) so we have that, but in case in takes a while I got a 2:1 (purple orange cbd) that should substitute well enough. I was able to get og kush cbd and northern lights and settled on og kush (the kind snoop dogg and willie nelson get down with). They threw in white widow and blueberry for free. I'll have enough room for growing all but have no intention of doing that. One or two at a time until we figure it out.

His new thing is eating chicken tender and tater wedges from the local gas station. He not only tried them but liked them (OMG!). They are pretty good, actually. He's also eating bacon cheeseburgers from the local burger joint (What?!!!). To give an idea of his pickiness: I order Zeigler hot dogs from Tuscaloosa special shipped to my house because it's one of the few things he'll eat. It does give me a chance to get thick sliced bacon because the bacon here is awful. Still, the increase in appetite and ability to eat new foods is appreciated and can be at least partially attributed to his new medicine. He also complains less about belly pain, which has been a problem since he was knee-high to a grasshopper. I imagine the eating better has also helped the frequent headaches since there's fewer of those.

Thank you for the kind words. Any parent would do this. I've seen stories of families moving to cannabis states like Colorado to get it for their kids. One family moved there from IL to successfully treat their son's Crohn's when nothing else worked. One family moved from Texas and live in a small mobile home. When the father couldn't find work he moved back to his old job and the rest stayed behind so the daughter could get medicine for seizures that actually works. We're fortunate we don't have to make that choice. It's a shame anyone has to.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You have nothing for which to apologize.

Seeds are ordered. Good variety but not everything was available. I have to go back and find the place that sells harlequin (for my older son who has arthritis type pains) so we have that, but in case in takes a while I got a 2:1 (purple orange cbd) that should substitute well enough. I was able to get og kush cbd and northern lights and settled on og kush (the kind snoop dogg and willie nelson get down with). They threw in white widow and blueberry for free. I'll have enough room for growing all but have no intention of doing that. One or two at a time until we figure it out.

His new thing is eating chicken tender and tater wedges from the local gas station. He not only tried them but liked them (OMG!). They are pretty good, actually. He's also eating bacon cheeseburgers from the local burger joint (What?!!!). To give an idea of his pickiness: I order Zeigler hot dogs from Tuscaloosa special shipped to my house because it's one of the few things he'll eat. It does give me a chance to get thick sliced bacon because the bacon here is awful. Still, the increase in appetite and ability to eat new foods is appreciated and can be at least partially attributed to his new medicine. He also complains less about belly pain, which has been a problem since he was knee-high to a grasshopper. I imagine the eating better has also helped the frequent headaches since there's fewer of those.

Thank you for the kind words. Any parent would do this. I've seen stories of families moving to cannabis states like Colorado to get it for their kids. One family moved there from IL to successfully treat their son's Crohn's when nothing else worked. One family moved from Texas and live in a small mobile home. When the father couldn't find work he moved back to his old job and the rest stayed behind so the daughter could get medicine for seizures that actually works. We're fortunate we don't have to make that choice. It's a shame anyone has to.
Sorry for the diversion, but I had to chuckle. My daughter and husband run a restaurant in a vacation village in the French Alps. They actually serve a couple of dishes containing something called "lardon" in French. She even made one dish with it while we were there. It's immediately obvious that it's crumbled up thick-sliced bacon. Nevertheless, she couldn't find bacon anywhere. Finally, in the nearest town of any size, she found something called, I think, "poitrine." It looked like pork belly to her, so she had it sliced up. Voila! Bacon!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The Alabama state Senate passed a medical marijuana bill 17-6. It now goes to the House.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The Alabama state Senate passed a medical marijuana bill 17-6. It now goes to the House.
Never thought I'd see media-mary in the deep south in my lifetime, but I've seen a good bit of movement and have hope now some folks will be able to get relief without having to break some archaic law to do so.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I really don't know what the bill entails beyond what I posted above. So I don't know what types of marijuana would be allowed or any other restrictions. But it is a step in the right direction if some people are helped by it.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
https://legiscan.com/AL/text/SB236/2019

The bill mostly gets conditions right: depression, anxiety, alzheimer's, autism, chronic pain, seizures, etc;...

The bill also recognizes out of states medical cards.

The problems I see with the bill is that it says one thing - medical marijuana - but it really authorizes CBD with no more than 3% THC AND unless I missed it the bill only allows a select few UAB providers to "prescribe" for patients. I do have a billion distractions so may have missed it. The out of state provision is clear as mud and it is unclear if the intent is only to allow what is legal in Alabama or what is legal in the cardholder's state.

It is better than nothing, but frankly the 2018 Farm Bill more or less has already legalized this (but only up to 0.3%) across all 50 states, including Alabama. Maybe the plan is to get it on the books and amend it later. It is better than nothing but there are many deficiencies in the bill, IMHO.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
https://legiscan.com/AL/text/SB236/2019

The bill mostly gets conditions right: depression, anxiety, alzheimer's, autism, chronic pain, seizures, etc;...

The bill also recognizes out of states medical cards.

The problems I see with the bill is that it says one thing - medical marijuana - but it really authorizes CBD with no more than 3% THC AND unless I missed it the bill only allows a select few UAB providers to "prescribe" for patients. I do have a billion distractions so may have missed it. The out of state provision is clear as mud and it is unclear if the intent is only to allow what is legal in Alabama or what is legal in the cardholder's state.

It is better than nothing, but frankly the 2018 Farm Bill more or less has already legalized this (but only up to 0.3%) across all 50 states, including Alabama. Maybe the plan is to get it on the books and amend it later. It is better than nothing but there are many deficiencies in the bill, IMHO.
I'll try to give it a read later...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Seeds are here today. I got a little excited. I was surprised the seeds are so small. I don't know why, I just was.

Mixed the soil last weekend and it needs another 3 weeks. I have almost everything picked out to grow with/in but being slow will force me to wait.

I've been reading this week about medical uses for the roots of the cannabis plant. Pretty cool stuff and goes back 5,000 years.

https://www.projectcbd.org/culture/cannabis-roots-traditional-medicine-modern-science

The biological activity of cannabis roots hasn’t been studied clinically, and most of our current scientific understanding comes from preclinical research involving the same molecules found in cannabis roots and in other plants. In addition, cannabis roots contain small quantities of alkaloids – mainly cannabisativine and anhydrocannabisativine – that are exclusive to cannabis, but these have yet to be the focus of any basic research. Within cannabis roots, there are also residues of atropine and nerine, as well as choline, which isn’t an alkaloid but is very important for the formation of acetylcholine, lipid bilayers and cellular signalling.
https://janest.com/article/2017/07/14/medicinal-uses-cannabis-root/

Since ancient times, cannabis root specifically was one of the most highly valued aspects of the cannabis plant. Chinese medicine herbalists incorporated cannabis nearly 5,000 years ago, using the hemp root as a diuretic. They also used it for new mothers to keep them from getting hemorrhages after giving birth.
In Rome around the beginning of the first millennium, historian Pliny the Elder documented the use of hemp root in Natural Histories. In particular, he wrote that it was useful for joint stiffness and burn wounds. In Azerbaijan around the Middle Ages, cannabis root was used to treat wounds, fevers, toothaches, abscesses, and ulcers.
In 1653, Culpeper’s Complete Herbal by English botanist Nicholas Culpeper, listed cannabis root as a treatment for jaundice, colic, heavy bleeding, dry cough, and burns, while in 1696 Germany physician Georg Eberhard Rumpf documented cannabis root as beneficial for gonorrhea. The 1764 edition of The New English Dispensatory also suggested boiling cannabis root to treat tumors, gout, and skin inflammation.
The cannabis root’s medicinal value is found in its chemical profile. For starters, it contains a bit of choline, a nutrient that helps maintain the health of cell membranes and is particularly useful for post-menopausal women, who are often at risk of choline deficiency. It also contains terpenes, or aromatic molecules, like friedelin and epifriedelanol, which have antioxidant, liver protection, and tumor-fighting properties. Other terpenes like pentacyclic triterpene ketones reduce inflammation and bacteria, work as a diuretic, and kill cancer cells, while piperdine and pyrroldine are used by pharmaceutical companies in crafting medications. Cannabis root also contains altopine, which can act as a bronchodilator or an eye muscle relaxant.
I may make a balm or lotion with roots and some trim and give it a go.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
https://mobile.twitter.com/mattmurphyshow/status/1130463704200425474

I don’t know how to imbed a tweet on here but state Senator Jim McClendon said cancer patients just need to go to their friendly neighborhood drug dealer if they need medical marijuana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Back several decades ago, I had a client die with a fairly rare cancer, ameloblastoma. It starts in the jaw with the material which forms the enamel of your teeth. It wasn't diagnosed correctly at the beginning, until his face started to swell grotesquely on the left side. He was in horrible pain and pretty soon opioids failed for him. He turned to street MJ and got some relief. However, his wife never understood or forgave him for it. She was a mess, though, alcoholic psychosis...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
This is a groundbreaking study that supports many anecdotal reports of success in using cannabis for not only addiction but also anxiety, pain, and inflammation.

This study used only Epidiolex, the new FDA-approved drug derived from cannabis CBD to treat seizures.

It should be noted that patients report that whole plant cannabis, which includes CBD, THC, and as many as over 100 other cannabinoids - many which have not been named - is even more effective in treating these and other ailments.

There are a number of other studies in the works and I expect a slow trickle of similar success in treating wide-ranging illnesses like autism, alzheimer's, and pain.

On a personal note we've had one more meltdown - much milder than others - since my last update. This is still a major reduction in frequency, severity, and duration of episodes for us since switching to a formulation containing THC 5mg and CBD 5mg and dosing three times a day. This kid smiles now more than he has in at least 7-8 years. Granted, other factors are in play besides cannabis but it is obvious to me that cannabis has made a huge difference.

We have seeds and I finally found two feminized seeds I had been searching for: harlequin (5:2 CBD:THC - good for pain and anxiety by reports) and pennywise (another 1:1 with similar effects). I also found a strain high in THCV (called Durban or Durban Poison). THCV is another cannabinoid that has been shown to help anxiety and curb side effects of THC like anxiety and paranoia. I will be purchasing all three and will have to decide which to grow first and which to wait on since space is limited.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/21/health/heroin-opioid-addiction-cbd-study/index.html

Study finds CBD effective in treating heroin addiction

Cannabidiol, the non-psychoactive ingredient in hemp and marijuana, could treat opioid addiction, a new study says. Given to patients with heroin addiction, cannabidiol, also known as CBD, reduced their cravings for the illicit drug as well as their levels of anxiety.

"The intense craving is what drives the drug use," said Yasmin Hurd, the lead researcher on the study and director of the Addiction Institute of Mount Sinai. "If we can have the medications that can dampen that [craving], that can greatly reduce the chance of relapse and overdose risk."
The available medications for opioid addiction, such as buprenorphine and methadone, act in a similar way, curbing cravings. But they are still not widely used. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, just one-third of US patients with opioid dependence in private treatment centers actually receive these kinds of medications. According to the 2016 surgeon general's report on addiction, only 1 in 5 people who needed treatment for opioid use disorders was receiving any sort of therapy.
The participants were divided into three groups: one group given 800 milligrams of CBD, another 400 milligrams of CBD and another a placebo. All the participants were dosed once daily for three consecutive days and followed over the next two weeks.During those two weeks, over the course of several sessions, the participants were shown images or videos of nature scenes as well as images of drug use and heroin-related paraphernalia, like syringes and packets of powder that resembled heroin. They were then asked to rate their craving for heroin and their levels of anxiety.
A week after the last administration of CBD, those who had been given CBD had a two- to three-fold reduction in cravings relative to the placebo group. Hurd said the difference between the two CBD groups was insignificant.
The research team also measured heart rate and cortisol, the "stress hormone," and found that the levels in those who got CBD were significantly lower than those who hadn't received the drug.
"CBD not only manages the anxiety and cue/craving cycle, it also diminishes the original pain and inflammation that leads to opiate use in the first place," said Holland, who was not involved with the new study.
Hurd said there are still a lot of questions to answer in the next study, including the best dose, how many times it needed to be administered and the mechanism in the brain that is working to diminish the cravings.
But she was optimistic about the implications. "It's not addictive. No one is diverting it. It doesn't get you high, but it can reduce craving and anxiety," she said. Ultimately, "this can really help save lives."

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
https://www.timesofisrael.com/cannabis-may-help-relieve-autism-symptoms-israeli-study-shows/

“Overall, more than 80% of the parents reported significant or moderate improvement in their child,” co-author Lihi Bar-Lev Schleider said in a statement.
The team analyzed the data collected as part of the treatment program of 188 teens diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) between 2015 and 2017 in order to examine a change in quality of life, mood and ability to perform daily tasks before and after treatment.

No other treatment has come within a light year of cannabis in treating this condition. I can attest personally to the effectiveness, but the available science backs me (and many others) up on this. Expect more studies to show the same.

ETA:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-37570-y

Cannabis as a treatment for autism spectrum disorders patients appears to be well-tolerated, safe and seemingly effective option to relieve symptoms, mainly: seizures, tics, depression, restlessness and rage attacks. The compliance with the treatment regimen appears to be high with less than 15% stopping the treatment at six months follow-up. Overall, more than 80% of the parents reported at significant or moderate improvement in the child global assessment.
The exact mechanism of the cannabis effects in patients with ASD is not fully elucidated. Findings from ASD animal models indicate a possible dysregulation of the endocannabinoid (EC) system11,12,13,14,15,16 signalling behaviours, a dysregulation that was suggested to be also present in ASD patients17. Mechanism of action for the effect of cannabis on ASD may possibly involve GABA and glutamate transmission regulation. ASD is characterized by an excitation and inhibition imbalance of GABAergic and glutamatergic signalling in different brain structures18. The EC system is involved in modulating imbalanced GABAergic19 and glutamatergic transmission20.
Two main active ingredients (THC and CBD) can have different psychoactive action mechanisms. THC was previously shown to improve symptoms characteristic to ASD patients in other treated populations. For example, patients reported lower frequency of anxiety, distress and depression24, following THC administration, as well as improved mood and better quality of life in general25. In patients suffering from anxiety, THC led to improved anxiety levels compared to placebo26 and in dementia patients, it led to reduction in nocturnal motor activity,violence27,28 behavioural and severity of behavioural disorders29. Moreover, cannabis was shown to enhances interpersonal communication30 and decrease hostile feelings within small social groups31.In our study we have shown that a CBD enriched treatment of ASD patients can potentially lead to an improvement of behavioural symptoms. These findings are consistent with the findings of two double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover studies demonstrating the anxiolytics properties of CBD in patients with anxiety disorder32,33. In one, CBD had a significant effect on increased brain activity in the right posterior cingulate cortex, which is thought to be involved in the processing of emotional information32, and in the other, simulated public speaking test was evaluated in 24 patients with social anxiety disorder. The CBD treated group had significantly lower anxiety scores than the placebo group during simulated speech, indicating reduction in anxiety, cognitive impairment, and discomfort factors33.
The cannabis treatment appears to be safe and side effects reported by the patients and parents were moderate and relatively easy to cope with. The most prevalent side effects reported at six months was restlessness, appearing in less than 6.6% of patients. Moreover, the compliance with the treatment was high and only less than 5% have stopped the treatment due to the side effects. We believe that the careful titration schedule especially in the ASD paediatric population is important for maintaining a low side effects rate and increase of the success rate. Furthermore, we believe that a professional instruction and detailed parents’ training sessions are highly important for the increasing of effect to adverse events ratio.
There are a lot of problems with the study, including different people getting different doses. In one way though, that's a positive thing - patients can find the ratio of cannabinoids and dose that is right for them. Things can be fine-tuned for the individual. On the other hand, it is not a standard dose and finding the "sweet spot" takes time and effort and is imprecise. And while the results speak for themselves there are problems with potential reporting bias and population size, among others. Still, it is encouraging to see the research move forward and show positive results.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
A lot is going to depend on the study results to be released later this year. I have no doubt in the case reports, but the science is terribly important and hopefully is soundly done.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6007739/

https://www.stripes.com/marijuana-ptsd-study-concludes-after-10-years-of-planning-research-1.570986

[FONT=&quot]Ten researchers gathered in San Francisco this week to comb through data from a just-completed study on the effect of marijuana on post-traumatic stress disorder – the first government-approved research of its kind.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The study, conducted by the Scottsdale Research Institute in Phoenix, aims to find whether marijuana effectively and safely treats PTSD. Its participants were all veterans – a group that has anecdotally touted marijuana in recent years as a useful treatment and, in some cases, a substitute for addictive opioids.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The efficacy study wrapped up this week after nearly a decade of planning, research and navigating bureaucratic red tape, said Sue Sisley, the principal investigator.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“I don’t think we would be at the finish line without the dedication of all these veterans organizations and individual veterans who stood by us all these years,” Sisley said. “Over the past decade, we had all these veterans standing shoulder-to-shoulder with us, helping to kick down doors. They never relented, and they knew we were determined to persevere.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The researchers began analyzing the data and writing about the results this week, Sisley said. They plan to publish them later this year.[/FONT]
https://www.forbes.com/sites/andreb...prohibition-is-killing-veterans/#352f22921a73

Cannabis researchStudying cannabis is really, really, difficult in the United States.
Just ask Dr. Sue Sisley, who has spent the last ten years trying to complete the first clinical trial of cannabis use for PTSD in veterans. The study, sponsored by the non-profit Multidisciplinary Associations for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS), finished its groundbreaking research earlier this year after it was approved by the FDA all the way back in 2011. Dr. Sisley overcame multiple obstaclesto complete the study, including being fired from her job at the University of Arizona.
their argument that “there is no evidence” for medical marijuana use for PTSD patients is only true because there is so little U.S.-based research into medical marijuana.As The Washington Post reported a few years ago, the dearth of methodologically-sound marijuana science is in large part because “scientists must rely heavily on self-reporting from patients, making it extremely difficult to know how much, how often or through what means subjects use marijuana — let alone what type of chemicals they’re ingesting alongside the drug.”
The bulk of the attention on veteran’s health centers around PTSD, but veterans suffer from disproportionately higher rates of other diseases, as well. Statistically, veterans had higher rates of cancer between 2015 and 2016, perhaps due to the exposure to carcinogenic and radioactive materials like “Agent Orange” in Vietnam and nuclear weapons. Furthermore, almost two-thirds of U.S. military veterans report chronic pain. Medical marijuana has a long history of helping treat these diseases, and it can provide a much safer approach to treatment than high-powered pharmaceuticals like opioids.
When it comes to mental health issues like PTSD and depression, the V.A.’s current go-to-treatment is known as the “combat cocktail,” a mix of anti-depressants that can have dire side effects if not administered correctly. The V.A.’s prohibition stance and reliance on antidepressants and opioids, however, is out of step with many veterans’ experiences and desires for treatment.
“More than two million veterans report using cannabis to treat their service-connected injuries according to surveys; anecdotally, hundreds of veterans have publicly testified that cannabis access has saved their lives after being driven to near-suicide under a pharmaceutical load of dozens of pills a day,” Eric Goepel, CEO and Founder of Veterans Cannabis Coalition told me. “Current research supports the potential efficacy of cannabis in dozens of different applications, all of which could have direct positive impacts on overall veteran health. Whether for pain relief, as a sleep aid, or for help in overcoming stress and anxiety, so many veterans find relief in cannabis because it provides an alternative way to manage their conditions far better than a slew of toxic pharmaceuticals.
By working from the assumption that cannabis use is a disorder, the V.A. is ultimately creating another fracture in a broken system: the millions of veterans use cannabis are not able to integrate their cannabis use into their overall care plan with their doctors. As a result, the V.A.’s prohibition is driving a wedge between veterans who prefer cannabis to psychotropic pharmaceuticals and doctors who arenot allowed to recommend or prescribe cannabis.
To illustrate how out-of-step the V.A. is with veterans, consider this recent survey from the American Legion: among veterans, 92% support research into medical cannabis and 83% support legalizing medical cannabis—a much higher rate than the broader populace.
"Scientists, doctors, and your military veterans are screaming for leadership on this subject, in hopes that this plant might be taken seriously and given the deep scientific research it deserves," Doug Distaso, executive director of the Veterans Cannabis Project said. "We hope that happens. Veteran lives depend on it. We are literally dying for it."

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
A lot is going to depend on the study results to be released later this year. I have no doubt in the case reports, but the science is terribly important and hopefully is soundly done.

https://www.stripes.com/marijuana-ptsd-study-concludes-after-10-years-of-planning-research-1.570986

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andreb...prohibition-is-killing-veterans/#352f22921a73
it will take a long time to overcome people's fear of "drugs!11!11!!!!11!1", but the tide does seem to be changing.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Last night I finally ordered the grow tent, lights, and other equipment I need to get started on this in earnest. It's not cheap to do right but will pay for itself in less than a year considering money otherwise spent on travel and the product itself. I'll also have control over the quality, so there's that.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I've known several Viet Nam vets who self-medicated their PTSD with pot and said it was the only thing which got them through the day...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I don't have an equally impressive video of a veteran using cannabis, but this video is both heartbreaking and heart-warming:

[video]https://www.facebook.com/mark.zartler/videos/vb.1493770279/10211993552862844/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab [/video]

The back story:

https://texasoriginalcc.com/cannabis-for-autism-scientific-research/

But officials from Texas Child Protective Services also saw the videos, and they initiated an investigation and court hearing to consider whether Mr. Zartler was guilty of child abuse, for giving his then 17-year-old daughter an illegal drug. The investigation jeopardized his guardianship status for a daughter who would soon legally be an adult and clearly needed long-term care.
From the Zartlers’ experience, you can see why cannabis has been embraced by some parents of children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD), and they’re not alone.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/new...ated-autistic-daughter-marijuana-fit-guardian

[FONT=&quot]Judge Hull Thompson was ready to rule.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"The court finds it would be for the protection of the rights of [Kara] as well as in [her] best interest for the court to appoint guardians," Thompson said. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Both Mark and Christy were qualified to be guardians, she ruled. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The parents smiled at each other and swallowed back tears. They raised their right hands and swore an oath to uphold Kara's rights.[/FONT]
If that doesn't change someone's mind I have no idea what will.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.