Medical marijuana - a veteran's story - Page 6
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Re: Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Stories like ours are making a difference. A new CBS poll shows 65% of Americans support legalization.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/support...ws-poll-finds/

This is somewhere close to critical mass and I expect descheduling at the federal level within 5 years as more states, including Alabama, make it legal for at least medical uses and others move toward full legalization.

There is a steep learning curve in using this for medicine. Not just strains, but when you harvest can have a significant effect on the chemistry and therefore the overall effects. And while there is a lot of good information out there it's also true that not all the info is good and the process is still very much trial and error.

It's also humorous how the grow tents, super soil, and hydroponic and other equipment developed mainly for this purpose is sold with generic houseplants and fruits/veggies being pictured with the product on Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, and other retailers.

Thanks for the support. I really didn't want to hijack this thread, but I hope by adding our story to it the original story will be seen by more eyes and maybe others will add theirs and overall the impact will be broadened.
    hijack away. i think this is a very important issue. attitudes are definitely changing and it is in large part because of personal stories like this hitting home for folks.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Another update:

Well, I maybe did jinx it as later that same day was a meltdown.

That said, none since (knock on wood) and

1. I took him to see his friend in a play that lasted three hours and then he stayed longer to congratulate his friend on a good job. And there was some singing in this play (Beauty and the Beast), which he usually would not be able to endure.

2. He went today and watched Endgame. He had to move midway through because a loudly breathing and smacking kid got on his nerves too much (on mine too) but he moved to another seat in back of us and stayed for the whole movie. He has not been able to do that in 2 years. (Came back to add that this was with him wearing earplugs during the movie like always because it's too loud for him at baseline without them)

He is happier and handles stress better.

Thank God for cannabis and for most people finally seeing the good it can do. This was a desperation move for us, but one based on the best information we could find and after all others failed more than they helped.

He is MUCH more social.

I am getting prepared to start our grow here at home. I have to order a number of things, but since soil prep is going to take the longest it will get ordered first. Then I'll get the seeds and so on. I want to get the first round right so I've taken a lot of time to learn how to do it right. Crossing my fingers it pays off.

I'll update from time to time.

I hope Alabama does pass the medical bill and that it isn't too restrictive. My mom is taking the CBD but I feel the THC would benefit her much better than some of the meds she's on. It's ridiculous but I know they're working within the parameters they have.

Last time we went to the shop there was an old couple that came in. The lady looked in her late 70's-80's and she was there to buy CBD for her arthritis pain on the advice of her doctor. They were adorable.
    Last edited by NationalTitles17; May 5th, 2019 at 10:42 AM.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Another update:

Well, I maybe did jinx it as later that same day was a meltdown.

That said, none since (knock on wood) and

1. I took him to see his friend in a play that lasted three hours and then he stayed longer to congratulate his friend on a good job. And there was some singing in this play (Beauty and the Beast), which he usually would not be able to endure.

2. He went today and watched Endgame. He had to move midway through because a loudly breathing and smacking kid got on his nerves too much (on mine too) but he moved to another seat in back of us and stayed for the whole movie. He has not been able to do that in 2 years. (Came back to add that this was with him wearing earplugs during the movie like always because it's too loud for him at baseline without them)

He is happier and handles stress better.

Thank God for cannabis and for most people finally seeing the good it can do. This was a desperation move for us, but one based on the best information we could find and after all others failed more than they helped.

He is MUCH more social.

I am getting prepared to start our grow here at home. I have to order a number of things, but since soil prep is going to take the longest it will get ordered first. Then I'll get the seeds and so on. I want to get the first round right so I've taken a lot of time to learn how to do it right. Crossing my fingers it pays off.

I'll update from time to time.

I hope Alabama does pass the medical bill and that it isn't too restrictive. My mom is taking the CBD but I feel the THC would benefit her much better than some of the meds she's on. It's ridiculous but I know they're working within the parameters they have.

Last time we went to the shop there was an old couple that came in. The lady looked in her late 70's-80's and she was there to buy CBD for her arthritis pain on the advice of her doctor. They were adorable.
    This is a link my nephew shared. He was within a semester of a degree in criminal justice at UAH when he decided that wasn't for him, quit and went to work in the psych ward at Huntsville Hospital, where he has worked all of his adult life as an attendant. He's burly and a former martial arts semipro with an impressive record. He says our mental health system is a shambles, a revolving door, with the criminal justice system trying to cover what mental institutions used to do. He relates one incident which was amusing but poignant. He was sitting on a patient who'd come in violent on a particularly nasty drug. He said he told the guy "Twenty years ago, I was in the same room, sitting on you. Now, twenty years later, here I am, sitting on you. Neither of us has made any progress"...

AL.com
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    This is a link my nephew shared. He was within a semester of a degree in criminal justice at UAH when he decided that wasn't for him, quit and went to work in the psych ward at Huntsville Hospital, where he has worked all of his adult life as an attendant. He's burly and a former martial arts semipro with an impressive record. He says our mental health system is a shambles, a revolving door, with the criminal justice system trying to cover what mental institutions used to do. He relates one incident which was amusing but poignant. He was sitting on a patient who'd come in violent on a particularly nasty drug. He said he told the guy "Twenty years ago, I was in the same room, sitting on you. Now, twenty years later, here I am, sitting on you. Neither of us has made any progress"...

AL.com
    He's correct.

I've seen it for some time, but working the local jail here it is glaring: jails ARE the mental health system for many. That system is costly and ineffective.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaFlum's Avatar

Serious question: I know our mental health system is horribly ineffective but how can we fix it? Ive heard about fixing the mental health situation for decades but Ive never seen any real solutions.

The only solution Ive seen with anything remotely mental health relative is in Europe having daycares integrated with assisted living/retirement centers and small secluded communities for those with dementia and Alzheimers, mainly in Europe.

What can we do about mental health in the US?

(I have a stake in this with a family issue.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RTR!

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFlum View Post
    Serious question: I know our mental health system is horribly ineffective but how can we fix it? I’ve heard about fixing the mental health situation for decades but I’ve never seen any real solutions.

The only solution I’ve seen with anything remotely mental health relative is in Europe having daycares integrated with assisted living/retirement centers and small secluded communities for those with dementia and Alzheimers, mainly in Europe.

What can we do about mental health in the US?

(I have a stake in this with a family issue.)

When the courts ruled that the state could not hold people in mental institutions for life and had to provide appropriate treatment the states decided instead to spend the money on law enforcement/war on drugs/prisons and NOT community mental health. Some states do better than others. Alabama is among the worst.

As is is people usually enter the mental health system after contact with police. They are sent to different inpatient facilities, stabilized, then sent right back into the community without proper supports; rinse and repeat. Those lucky enough to have insurance find a shortage of beds at such facilities and so often still lack access to the help they need for stabilization.

Real solutions include shifting money from law enforcement/war on drugs/prisons back into community mental health. A priority should be acute beds to help stabilize those is crisis. Another point of emphasis should be community supports to include adequate housing, either in group settings or embedded within existing communities and also nursing and/or other staff to assist with needs like medications and travel to outpatient appointments. States could encourage more to enter mental health professions so there are enough professionals to meet the need.

I don't buy the excuse that there isn't enough money because there is enough. Mental health is not prioritized is all. Alabama's leaders would rather build prisons, pour money down the drain in a failed war on drugs, and spend millions on losing court battles over abortion. The only things keeping any of this from being a "real solution" or part thereof are the deliberate ignorance and stubbornness of so-called leaders.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

When the courts ruled that the state could not hold people in mental institutions for life and had to provide appropriate treatment the states decided instead to spend the money on law enforcement/war on drugs/prisons and NOT community mental health. Some states do better than others. Alabama is among the worst.

As is is people usually enter the mental health system after contact with police. They are sent to different inpatient facilities, stabilized, then sent right back into the community without proper supports; rinse and repeat. Those lucky enough to have insurance find a shortage of beds at such facilities and so often still lack access to the help they need for stabilization.

Real solutions include shifting money from law enforcement/war on drugs/prisons back into community mental health. A priority should be acute beds to help stabilize those is crisis. Another point of emphasis should be community supports to include adequate housing, either in group settings or embedded within existing communities and also nursing and/or other staff to assist with needs like medications and travel to outpatient appointments. States could encourage more to enter mental health professions so there are enough professionals to meet the need.

I don't buy the excuse that there isn't enough money because there is enough. Mental health is not prioritized is all. Alabama's leaders would rather build prisons, pour money down the drain in a failed war on drugs, and spend millions on losing court battles over abortion. The only things keeping any of this from being a "real solution" or part thereof are the deliberate ignorance and stubbornness of so-called leaders.
    O'Connor v. Donaldson, 1975 SCOTUS decision is what you're thinking of. Mental illness should never have been a constitutional issue. It's strictly a medical issue. I don't know a single mental health worker who doesn't regard it as a disaster for their field...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

O'Connor v. Donaldson, 1975 SCOTUS decision is what you're thinking of. Mental illness should never have been a constitutional issue. It's strictly a medical issue. I don't know a single mental health worker who doesn't regard it as a disaster for their field...
    I don't.

The disasters occurred before and after the ruling. First, the states incarcerated many whom they had no reason to incarcerate once treatments became available. Then the states decided to just move on to something else that would allow them to incarcerate and thus jails became the states' mental health facilities after the ruling.

Basically, the states decided to abdicate when there were better alternatives.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

BamaNation All-American

NT17, wanted to share a recent experience since many of my symptoms present as autistic type behaviors (varying degrees of expressive aphasia to include complete, not being able to sit down or stay still, constant movement and uncouncious constant touching of face, head. etc.) I had been doing so well for a long time (for me) I thought I could manage without. Unfortunately, it has been a lesson that I have had to learn several times. Each time the return crash has been more intense than the last. In your field, I am sure it is a problem that you are all too familiar with. In the unlikely event you weren't aware of this potential problem, I thought I would share in case it could warn someone.

I don't.

The disasters occurred before and after the ruling. First, the states incarcerated many whom they had no reason to incarcerate once treatments became available. Then the states decided to just move on to something else that would allow them to incarcerate and thus jails became the states' mental health facilities after the ruling.

Basically, the states decided to abdicate when there were better alternatives.
    Well, the shrinks I know, and this includes both MDs and clinical psychologists, say the problem lies with the total ruling out of permanent care and there are some patients who simply can't be cared for any other way, so the baby went out with the bath. The disasters which occurred after the ruling simply have no answer now except the sidewalk or jail. They are free to live under a bridge. I've watched this slow-motion train crash from the sidelines now for decades...

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaFlum's Avatar

Thanks. I didnt know the history. Luckily, our family has been able to get the care we need and w shave a lot of support from family and friends.

RTR!

Well, the shrinks I know, and this includes both MDs and clinical psychologists, say the problem lies with the total ruling out of permanent care and there are some patients who simply can't be cared for any other way, so the baby went out with the bath. The disasters which occurred after the ruling simply have no answer now except the sidewalk or jail. They are free to live under a bridge. I've watched this slow-motion train crash from the sidelines now for decades...
    I agree that a certain number need resident care and did not mean to state otherwise. That said, states have done nothing to address the care of these people in any setting. Illinois does(or did) have some communities set up to assist. California has IHSS for in-home services. Alabama has nothing other than some limited medicaid waivers.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

In Alabama, Wyatt vs. Stickney or the Judge Johnson ruling as we in the mental health field called it, upset the mental health applecart. Similar rulings swept the country.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/05/the-...alth-care.html

Johnson ruled in 1971 that all patients held involuntarily in state hospitals had a right to treatment that might enable them to regain their freedom. He created a set of minimum standards, including staff and treatment protocols, that raised the bar for treatment in Alabama.
    By the time the case came to a close, Alabama leaders had dramatically reduced the number of patients inside its mental institutions because the state couldn’t afford to improve treatment for the thousands of people in its care. Instead, mental health authorities released most of them with plans to create community-based treatment. Bryce released half their patients by 1975 and over time, the number of patients inside Bryce shrunk from 5,000 to 400 – saving the state millions of dollars.
    The problem is that most of the much touted community treatment centers never happened. The long term treatment center in Decatur closed a while ago. Choices now are jail and Huntsville Hospital. The irony is that Obamacare included $10,000 in mental health treatment for each policy holder. But where could they go?

The link that Tide-HSV shared seems like a breath of fresh air.
    Last edited by seebell; May 7th, 2019 at 06:37 PM.