Medical marijuana - a veteran's story - Page 7
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Re: Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

Quote Originally Posted by G-VilleTider View Post
    NT17, wanted to share a recent experience since many of my symptoms present as autistic type behaviors (varying degrees of expressive aphasia to include complete, not being able to sit down or stay still, constant movement and uncouncious constant touching of face, head. etc.) I had been doing so well for a long time (for me) I thought I could manage without. Unfortunately, it has been a lesson that I have had to learn several times. Each time the return crash has been more intense than the last. In your field, I am sure it is a problem that you are all too familiar with. In the unlikely event you weren't aware of this potential problem, I thought I would share in case it could warn someone.
    Thank you. I am aware and so long as the benefit is there we intend to continue with its use. We also have no plans to discontinue use of other medications except under the supervision of a professional. For one, we don't want to inadvertently mess things up and for another we don't want any reasonable person to be able to say we were negligent in our duties.

Trips out of state concern me the most, but I intend to keep the CW CBD around for those and we may pursue a legal prescription for thc for such trips (synthetic thc is a legally prescribed drug called marinol).

I advise those using it not to stop suddenly, just like most other medications. If they benefit, they should continue anyway. Cost does become a factor. Although I cannot make a recommendation (a legal written one that carries weight) in CA, nothing prohibits me (confirmed through the Conant v Walters decision) from discussing these issues with them.

Soil products ordered/bought. Awaiting a few more ingredients then I'll mix them and let sit for 4-6 weeks to "cook". It will take that long to get something that can be grown. In the meantime I'll get the equipment and get it set up. I'm "excited" to be getting closer to doing something instead of just learning - and the learning curve has been steep. Sometimes my eyes feel ready to pop out of my head. I've had to learn everything from the ground up - medium (supersoil), light (needs a lot), ventilation and odor control, temperature, humidity, air movement (not to be confused to ventilation), the six cannabinoids and what they do (more than just thc and cbd - there's also thcv, cbc, cbn, and cbg - and their inactive acid structures, which brings me to), decarboxylation, methods of growing, watering, harvesting, drying, storing, making a product for consumption from it (infusing into edibles, making capsules, etc;...), not to mention choosing between hundreds of strains with different combinations of cannabinoids producing different effects.

And that's where I am now. I've settled on two strains for sure: harlequin (5:2 CBD:THC ratio about 10-16%:4-6%) and OG Kush CBD (1:1 at 10% each). I am looking for strains that express consistently and these do it. I am also looking for two more strains to try out. Northern Lights (one slightly higher thc content) is high on the list as is Royal Highness (for the 1:1 ratio and more uplifting effects), but not completely decided yet(Jack Herer is another on this list in looking for an uplifting strain without anxiety as a side effect). One factor in choosing is that I only want feminized seeds. That has eliminated a number of otherwise good candidates, but there are enough out there that one can be found. There's even a Charlotte's Web with nearly equal parts thc and cbd that I may give a go.

The tabs he's currently taking are 5mg:5mg and we'll likely end up at about 7.5mg (if I get the math correct).

I've learned far more than I ever thought possible in the past few months.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Quote Originally Posted by seebell View Post
    In Alabama, Wyatt vs. Stickney or the Judge Johnson ruling as we in the mental health field called it, upset the mental health applecart. Similar rulings swept the country.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/05/the-...alth-care.html

The problem is that most of the much touted community treatment centers never happened. The long term treatment center in Decatur closed a while ago. Choices now are jail and Huntsville Hospital. The irony is that Obamacare included $10,000 in mental health treatment for each policy holder. But where could they go?

The link that Tide-HSV shared seems like a breath of fresh air.
    Exactly, and thank you for posting this. I couldn't think of the name of the other ruling but it had a huge effect. The failure to follow through on the promised community based treatment is what I was referring to earlier. There are three state mental health hospitals in Alabama (the last I knew). Private beds are hard to come by as well. Alabama has failed horribly on mental health, but it's not alone.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation All-American

Thank you so much.

Your dedication and love for your son are truly inspiring.

Forgive the brevity as the mental dullness has not fully dissipated.

Quote Originally Posted by G-VilleTider View Post
    Thank you so much.

Your dedication and love for your son are truly inspiring.

Forgive the brevity as the mental dullness has not fully dissipated.
    You have nothing for which to apologize.

Seeds are ordered. Good variety but not everything was available. I have to go back and find the place that sells harlequin (for my older son who has arthritis type pains) so we have that, but in case in takes a while I got a 2:1 (purple orange cbd) that should substitute well enough. I was able to get og kush cbd and northern lights and settled on og kush (the kind snoop dogg and willie nelson get down with). They threw in white widow and blueberry for free. I'll have enough room for growing all but have no intention of doing that. One or two at a time until we figure it out.

His new thing is eating chicken tender and tater wedges from the local gas station. He not only tried them but liked them (OMG!). They are pretty good, actually. He's also eating bacon cheeseburgers from the local burger joint (What?!!!). To give an idea of his pickiness: I order Zeigler hot dogs from Tuscaloosa special shipped to my house because it's one of the few things he'll eat. It does give me a chance to get thick sliced bacon because the bacon here is awful. Still, the increase in appetite and ability to eat new foods is appreciated and can be at least partially attributed to his new medicine. He also complains less about belly pain, which has been a problem since he was knee-high to a grasshopper. I imagine the eating better has also helped the frequent headaches since there's fewer of those.

Thank you for the kind words. Any parent would do this. I've seen stories of families moving to cannabis states like Colorado to get it for their kids. One family moved there from IL to successfully treat their son's Crohn's when nothing else worked. One family moved from Texas and live in a small mobile home. When the father couldn't find work he moved back to his old job and the rest stayed behind so the daughter could get medicine for seizures that actually works. We're fortunate we don't have to make that choice. It's a shame anyone has to.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    You have nothing for which to apologize.

Seeds are ordered. Good variety but not everything was available. I have to go back and find the place that sells harlequin (for my older son who has arthritis type pains) so we have that, but in case in takes a while I got a 2:1 (purple orange cbd) that should substitute well enough. I was able to get og kush cbd and northern lights and settled on og kush (the kind snoop dogg and willie nelson get down with). They threw in white widow and blueberry for free. I'll have enough room for growing all but have no intention of doing that. One or two at a time until we figure it out.

His new thing is eating chicken tender and tater wedges from the local gas station. He not only tried them but liked them (OMG!). They are pretty good, actually. He's also eating bacon cheeseburgers from the local burger joint (What?!!!). To give an idea of his pickiness: I order Zeigler hot dogs from Tuscaloosa special shipped to my house because it's one of the few things he'll eat. It does give me a chance to get thick sliced bacon because the bacon here is awful. Still, the increase in appetite and ability to eat new foods is appreciated and can be at least partially attributed to his new medicine. He also complains less about belly pain, which has been a problem since he was knee-high to a grasshopper. I imagine the eating better has also helped the frequent headaches since there's fewer of those.

Thank you for the kind words. Any parent would do this. I've seen stories of families moving to cannabis states like Colorado to get it for their kids. One family moved there from IL to successfully treat their son's Crohn's when nothing else worked. One family moved from Texas and live in a small mobile home. When the father couldn't find work he moved back to his old job and the rest stayed behind so the daughter could get medicine for seizures that actually works. We're fortunate we don't have to make that choice. It's a shame anyone has to.
    Sorry for the diversion, but I had to chuckle. My daughter and husband run a restaurant in a vacation village in the French Alps. They actually serve a couple of dishes containing something called "lardon" in French. She even made one dish with it while we were there. It's immediately obvious that it's crumbled up thick-sliced bacon. Nevertheless, she couldn't find bacon anywhere. Finally, in the nearest town of any size, she found something called, I think, "poitrine." It looked like pork belly to her, so she had it sliced up. Voila! Bacon!
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

The Alabama state Senate passed a medical marijuana bill 17-6. It now goes to the House.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    The Alabama state Senate passed a medical marijuana bill 17-6. It now goes to the House.
    Never thought I'd see media-mary in the deep south in my lifetime, but I've seen a good bit of movement and have hope now some folks will be able to get relief without having to break some archaic law to do so.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Never thought I'd see media-mary in the deep south in my lifetime, but I've seen a good bit of movement and have hope now some folks will be able to get relief without having to break some archaic law to do so.
    it has happened surprisingly quick
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

I really don't know what the bill entails beyond what I posted above. So I don't know what types of marijuana would be allowed or any other restrictions. But it is a step in the right direction if some people are helped by it.

https://legiscan.com/AL/text/SB236/2019

The bill mostly gets conditions right: depression, anxiety, alzheimer's, autism, chronic pain, seizures, etc;...

The bill also recognizes out of states medical cards.

The problems I see with the bill is that it says one thing - medical marijuana - but it really authorizes CBD with no more than 3% THC AND unless I missed it the bill only allows a select few UAB providers to "prescribe" for patients. I do have a billion distractions so may have missed it. The out of state provision is clear as mud and it is unclear if the intent is only to allow what is legal in Alabama or what is legal in the cardholder's state.

It is better than nothing, but frankly the 2018 Farm Bill more or less has already legalized this (but only up to 0.3%) across all 50 states, including Alabama. Maybe the plan is to get it on the books and amend it later. It is better than nothing but there are many deficiencies in the bill, IMHO.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    https://legiscan.com/AL/text/SB236/2019

The bill mostly gets conditions right: depression, anxiety, alzheimer's, autism, chronic pain, seizures, etc;...

The bill also recognizes out of states medical cards.

The problems I see with the bill is that it says one thing - medical marijuana - but it really authorizes CBD with no more than 3% THC AND unless I missed it the bill only allows a select few UAB providers to "prescribe" for patients. I do have a billion distractions so may have missed it. The out of state provision is clear as mud and it is unclear if the intent is only to allow what is legal in Alabama or what is legal in the cardholder's state.

It is better than nothing, but frankly the 2018 Farm Bill more or less has already legalized this (but only up to 0.3%) across all 50 states, including Alabama. Maybe the plan is to get it on the books and amend it later. It is better than nothing but there are many deficiencies in the bill, IMHO.
    I'll try to give it a read later...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Seeds are here today. I got a little excited. I was surprised the seeds are so small. I don't know why, I just was.

Mixed the soil last weekend and it needs another 3 weeks. I have almost everything picked out to grow with/in but being slow will force me to wait.

I've been reading this week about medical uses for the roots of the cannabis plant. Pretty cool stuff and goes back 5,000 years.

https://www.projectcbd.org/culture/c...modern-science

The biological activity of cannabis roots hasn’t been studied clinically, and most of our current scientific understanding comes from preclinical research involving the same molecules found in cannabis roots and in other plants. In addition, cannabis roots contain small quantities of alkaloids – mainly cannabisativine and anhydrocannabisativine – that are exclusive to cannabis, but these have yet to be the focus of any basic research. Within cannabis roots, there are also residues of atropine and nerine, as well as choline, which isn’t an alkaloid but is very important for the formation of acetylcholine, lipid bilayers and cellular signalling.
    https://janest.com/article/2017/07/1...cannabis-root/

Since ancient times, cannabis root specifically was one of the most highly valued aspects of the cannabis plant. Chinese medicine herbalists incorporated cannabis nearly 5,000 years ago, using the hemp root as a diuretic. They also used it for new mothers to keep them from getting hemorrhages after giving birth.
    In Rome around the beginning of the first millennium, historian Pliny the Elder documented the use of hemp root in Natural Histories. In particular, he wrote that it was useful for joint stiffness and burn wounds. In Azerbaijan around the Middle Ages, cannabis root was used to treat wounds, fevers, toothaches, abscesses, and ulcers.
    In 1653, Culpeper’s Complete Herbal by English botanist Nicholas Culpeper, listed cannabis root as a treatment for jaundice, colic, heavy bleeding, dry cough, and burns, while in 1696 Germany physician Georg Eberhard Rumpf documented cannabis root as beneficial for gonorrhea. The 1764 edition of The New English Dispensatory also suggested boiling cannabis root to treat tumors, gout, and skin inflammation.
    The cannabis root’s medicinal value is found in its chemical profile. For starters, it contains a bit of choline, a nutrient that helps maintain the health of cell membranes and is particularly useful for post-menopausal women, who are often at risk of choline deficiency. It also contains terpenes, or aromatic molecules, like friedelin and epifriedelanol, which have antioxidant, liver protection, and tumor-fighting properties. Other terpenes like pentacyclic triterpene ketones reduce inflammation and bacteria, work as a diuretic, and kill cancer cells, while piperdine and pyrroldine are used by pharmaceutical companies in crafting medications. Cannabis root also contains altopine, which can act as a bronchodilator or an eye muscle relaxant.
    I may make a balm or lotion with roots and some trim and give it a go.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattmurph...63704200425474

I dont know how to imbed a tweet on here but state Senator Jim McClendon said cancer patients just need to go to their friendly neighborhood drug dealer if they need medical marijuana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Crimson1967; May 20th, 2019 at 10:40 AM.