Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Thanks, UAH. Before posting pics along the way I'd want explicit OK to do so even though it's legal here at the state level and even though I personally want to help normalize this plant as medicine.
It would probably be best to send them via email. Although it's fully legal there (and should be here), it's still technically federally illegal. So, to keep us out of trouble...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I had to remember something and chuckle. One summer, my wife and I kept a travel trailer on the Qualla Boundary (Cherokee, NC). Several years later, we went back to visit an old friend, who was a representative on the tribal council and with whom I'd shared good times and a little weed. On her porch banister, there was one spindly little plant in a pot. I remember thinking "Jeez, I hope that's not all that Mary's got"... :D

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
https://www.crestonnews.com/2019/05...1M5hBu72ZrTcHCDde63IAQnaBT0dShZZSw3OC3BjOOmZ8

The Gaunts immediately started Obreigh on CBD May 1, when she received her medical card. According to Gaunt, the results were astonishing. Within two weeks, her parents witnessed the difference.
“My nonverbal daughter with severe autism and physical aggressive behavior is talking, playing pretend, singing and engaging,” said Gaunt.
Gaunt said, now, Obreigh sings songs and repeats any words or phrases she’s asked to. Obreigh now sings “Rock-a-bye Baby” to her younger sister Piper and sang “B-I-N-G-O” for her grandparents.

Tell me this plant is not a dadgum miracle.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Moved all the boxes from garage to shed yesterday. Need to sweep up and spray for bugs before setting everything up. Will probably do that Tuesday. The soil will be ready this week. All the equipment is sitting in boxes in the great room, which is driving Mrs. NT17 mad so I have to get it out to the garage this week. That will likely be next weekend. Waiting on the last seeds before I germinate.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I did put it together last weekend. I rearranged everything today once I could see where it needed to be placed. Lights, fan/filter, and heater tested. Have to test the AC once I get the hang of the thermostat that controls them.

Oh, and I began germinating today.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
https://reason.com/2019/06/24/house...ndOv0rU1YQ-Le1EbaiMsP8yJc8sGVNBewPTlTr43maHD8

Rep. Robert Aderholt (R-Ala.) spoke against the rider. "Under the Controlled Substances Act," he noted, "the Drug Enforcement Administration defines Schedule I drugs as having no current acceptable medical use and a high potential for abuse. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, there is no scientifically recognized medical benefit from smoking or eating marijuana plants. Claims of benefits from smoked or ingested marijuana are anecdotal and generally outright fabrications. It is established by fact that such marijuana use has real health and real social harms."

No medical use: that's why we have three FDA approved drugs derived from this plant legally for sale in this country.
No medical benefit: that's why children quit having seizures when they ingest it when no other medicine worked. That's why nonverbal children with autism suddenly start talking when they ingest it. It's why a veteran with PTSD right here on this forum tells us they considered suicide but found new life after using this plant. It's why cancer patients with no appetite and plenty of nausea can suddenly eat and gain back weight after using it. Why insomniacs can sleep. Why the anxious find calm. No medical benefit, my backside.
I hope the Senate passes this legislation. Cannabis needs to be legal for anyone who needs it.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Hey, G-VilleTider - you mentioned in your "coming out" post that you had seen declining benefits. I've been spending the last year plus learning what I can about this plant. I hope things settled down since then and it's working better. Some people take short vacations or take reduced doses for a period of time and then return to their normal dose so they don't have to increase for the same effects. The strain also can make a difference, like you said.

We have our grow going here with seven plants currently. I killed one and almost killed another but the rest look great and the replacements to those I harmed look good. We're a long way off from medicine at this point. I've found a few new friends who know a little about it so I'm getting lots of help so I don't mess it up too badly. I have a newfound respect for the ingenuity of those who grow and use cannabis. I know the stereotype, but there are some smart people out there. That, and they saved this plant that helps my boys from extinction.

I never knew there was so much to know or how ignorant I was about this plant. I've also been disappointed with some of the medical educational material out there. One program stated that when ingested it was best absorbed on an empty stomach - uh, no, it's fat soluble so ingesting a fat with it increases absorption. I'm still learning, too.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Hey, G-VilleTider - you mentioned in your "coming out" post that you had seen declining benefits. I've been spending the last year plus learning what I can about this plant. I hope things settled down since then and it's working better. Some people take short vacations or take reduced doses for a period of time and then return to their normal dose so they don't have to increase for the same effects. The strain also can make a difference, like you said.

We have our grow going here with seven plants currently. I killed one and almost killed another but the rest look great and the replacements to those I harmed look good. We're a long way off from medicine at this point. I've found a few new friends who know a little about it so I'm getting lots of help so I don't mess it up too badly. I have a newfound respect for the ingenuity of those who grow and use cannabis. I know the stereotype, but there are some smart people out there. That, and they saved this plant that helps my boys from extinction.

I never knew there was so much to know or how ignorant I was about this plant. I've also been disappointed with some of the medical educational material out there. One program stated that when ingested it was best absorbed on an empty stomach - uh, no, it's fat soluble so ingesting a fat with it increases absorption. I'm still learning, too.
Which is what's behind embedding it in brownies... :D

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006

I don't believe the declining benefits were due to anything other than the strain. The last 2 purchases (1 oz produces 72 doses @ 2 doses/day) have been from a strain that is awful for me. I absolutely dreaded taking it because it would cause me such anxiety that I felt like I was dying each and every time I took it. Most nights on those strains I had to have a few beers just to keep from going to the ER thinking I was dying. If any reading this are thinking that I am crazy for still taking it, just try to realize that as bad as the side effects get, it is still better than the symptoms it prevents. And when I get the correct strain, there are virtually no side effects. It is really hard not to be angry (frustration, I cannot help) when there is a medicine that allows me to live a more normal life, but I can't obtain it due to ridiculous, outdated laws. The one time I was able to visit a shop in a state where it is legal, I was able to obtain the type of strains I needed @ "exactish" doses. That was the best week I have had in over a decade.

NT17, I am sure you know this, but just in case ... you may want to consider keeping a high quality, under the tongue, cbd oil for when your son tries any new strain or dosage change. As I'm sure you know, cbd oil counteracts much of the thc. I have found that I can take it to counter much of the anxiety produced by "bad" strains, but that if I do, I don't get the same benefits.

Concerning absorption. If an adequate amount of fat ( I use coconut oil) is used in the extraction process, then I think he might be right. I have tried it numerous ways (empty stomach, with a meal, with a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter etc.) and feel it does work best for me on an empty stomach. The thing I haven't been able to figure out is how it worked so well with the gummies (from my visit to a legal shop) on a empty stomach, because they tasted sweet (sugar hinders while fat increases absorption).

Your kids are lucky to have such a devoted parent.

Thank you for sharing your story as it helps people to know that they are not alone in this.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
I have heard that for maximum effect it should be infused in the oil first by heating to around 350F
FYI, 350 is way too high for the oil. It should also be dehydrated in an oven @ about 225 for 30 minutes (with great care being done to limit overheating). This converts a percentage of the pre-cannabinoids to active cannabinoids.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Thanks, G-VilleTider. I have similar recipes with coconut oil and others and a spreadsheet to calculate dosages. I will be mixing 6 strains strains into a final 1:1 product and have CBD on hand in any case. I’ll also have some folks double check my assumptions and calculations before going to production.

350 would burn off all the cannabinoids. Way too hot. Haven’t decided if I’ll decarb then put in oil or more likely decarb slowly within the oil.

I hope you are are able to get the good strain soon.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
FYI, 350 is way too high for the oil. It should also be dehydrated in an oven @ about 225 for 30 minutes (with great care being done to limit overheating). This converts a percentage of the pre-cannabinoids to active cannabinoids.
You're right, 350 is a vaping temp but some say its better to activate the THC & CBDs in oil rather than dry but baking is good if you don't grind/cut it first.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.