Medical marijuana - a veteran's story - Page 8
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Re: Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/mattmurph...63704200425474

I don’t know how to imbed a tweet on here but state Senator Jim McClendon said cancer patients just need to go to their friendly neighborhood drug dealer if they need medical marijuana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Back several decades ago, I had a client die with a fairly rare cancer, ameloblastoma. It starts in the jaw with the material which forms the enamel of your teeth. It wasn't diagnosed correctly at the beginning, until his face started to swell grotesquely on the left side. He was in horrible pain and pretty soon opioids failed for him. He turned to street MJ and got some relief. However, his wife never understood or forgave him for it. She was a mess, though, alcoholic psychosis...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/mattmurph...63704200425474

I don’t know how to imbed a tweet on here but state Senator Jim McClendon said cancer patients just need to go to their friendly neighborhood drug dealer if they need medical marijuana.

Ignorance is bliss and he seems pretty bliss. I hope he stays that way. Knowledge hurts too badly sometimes. But please vote this jackass out of office.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

This is a groundbreaking study that supports many anecdotal reports of success in using cannabis for not only addiction but also anxiety, pain, and inflammation.

This study used only Epidiolex, the new FDA-approved drug derived from cannabis CBD to treat seizures.

It should be noted that patients report that whole plant cannabis, which includes CBD, THC, and as many as over 100 other cannabinoids - many which have not been named - is even more effective in treating these and other ailments.

There are a number of other studies in the works and I expect a slow trickle of similar success in treating wide-ranging illnesses like autism, alzheimer's, and pain.

On a personal note we've had one more meltdown - much milder than others - since my last update. This is still a major reduction in frequency, severity, and duration of episodes for us since switching to a formulation containing THC 5mg and CBD 5mg and dosing three times a day. This kid smiles now more than he has in at least 7-8 years. Granted, other factors are in play besides cannabis but it is obvious to me that cannabis has made a huge difference.

We have seeds and I finally found two feminized seeds I had been searching for: harlequin (5:2 CBD:THC - good for pain and anxiety by reports) and pennywise (another 1:1 with similar effects). I also found a strain high in THCV (called Durban or Durban Poison). THCV is another cannabinoid that has been shown to help anxiety and curb side effects of THC like anxiety and paranoia. I will be purchasing all three and will have to decide which to grow first and which to wait on since space is limited.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/21/health/heroin-opioid-addiction-cbd-study/index.html

Study finds CBD effective in treating heroin addiction

Cannabidiol, the non-psychoactive ingredient in hemp and marijuana, could treat opioid addiction, a new study says. Given to patients with heroin addiction, cannabidiol, also known as CBD, reduced their cravings for the illicit drug as well as their levels of anxiety.

"The intense craving is what drives the drug use," said Yasmin Hurd, the lead researcher on the study and director of the Addiction Institute of Mount Sinai. "If we can have the medications that can dampen that [craving], that can greatly reduce the chance of relapse and overdose risk."
    The available medications for opioid addiction, such as buprenorphine and methadone, act in a similar way, curbing cravings. But they are still not widely used. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, just one-third of US patients with opioid dependence in private treatment centers actually receive these kinds of medications. According to the 2016 surgeon general's report on addiction, only 1 in 5 people who needed treatment for opioid use disorders was receiving any sort of therapy.
    The participants were divided into three groups: one group given 800 milligrams of CBD, another 400 milligrams of CBD and another a placebo. All the participants were dosed once daily for three consecutive days and followed over the next two weeks.During those two weeks, over the course of several sessions, the participants were shown images or videos of nature scenes as well as images of drug use and heroin-related paraphernalia, like syringes and packets of powder that resembled heroin. They were then asked to rate their craving for heroin and their levels of anxiety.
    A week after the last administration of CBD, those who had been given CBD had a two- to three-fold reduction in cravings relative to the placebo group. Hurd said the difference between the two CBD groups was insignificant.
    The research team also measured heart rate and cortisol, the "stress hormone," and found that the levels in those who got CBD were significantly lower than those who hadn't received the drug.
    "CBD not only manages the anxiety and cue/craving cycle, it also diminishes the original pain and inflammation that leads to opiate use in the first place," said Holland, who was not involved with the new study.

Hurd said there are still a lot of questions to answer in the next study, including the best dose, how many times it needed to be administered and the mechanism in the brain that is working to diminish the cravings.
    But she was optimistic about the implications. "It's not addictive. No one is diverting it. It doesn't get you high, but it can reduce craving and anxiety," she said. Ultimately, "this can really help save lives."
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/cannab...i-study-shows/

“Overall, more than 80% of the parents reported significant or moderate improvement in their child,” co-author Lihi Bar-Lev Schleider said in a statement.
    The team analyzed the data collected as part of the treatment program of 188 teens diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) between 2015 and 2017 in order to examine a change in quality of life, mood and ability to perform daily tasks before and after treatment.

No other treatment has come within a light year of cannabis in treating this condition. I can attest personally to the effectiveness, but the available science backs me (and many others) up on this. Expect more studies to show the same.

ETA:
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-37570-y

Cannabis as a treatment for autism spectrum disorders patients appears to be well-tolerated, safe and seemingly effective option to relieve symptoms, mainly: seizures, tics, depression, restlessness and rage attacks. The compliance with the treatment regimen appears to be high with less than 15% stopping the treatment at six months follow-up. Overall, more than 80% of the parents reported at significant or moderate improvement in the child global assessment.
    The exact mechanism of the cannabis effects in patients with ASD is not fully elucidated. Findings from ASD animal models indicate a possible dysregulation of the endocannabinoid (EC) system11,12,13,14,15,16 signalling behaviours, a dysregulation that was suggested to be also present in ASD patients17. Mechanism of action for the effect of cannabis on ASD may possibly involve GABA and glutamate transmission regulation. ASD is characterized by an excitation and inhibition imbalance of GABAergic and glutamatergic signalling in different brain structures18. The EC system is involved in modulating imbalanced GABAergic19 and glutamatergic transmission20.
    Two main active ingredients (THC and CBD) can have different psychoactive action mechanisms. THC was previously shown to improve symptoms characteristic to ASD patients in other treated populations. For example, patients reported lower frequency of anxiety, distress and depression24, following THC administration, as well as improved mood and better quality of life in general25. In patients suffering from anxiety, THC led to improved anxiety levels compared to placebo26 and in dementia patients, it led to reduction in nocturnal motor activity,violence27,28 behavioural and severity of behavioural disorders29. Moreover, cannabis was shown to enhances interpersonal communication30 and decrease hostile feelings within small social groups31.In our study we have shown that a CBD enriched treatment of ASD patients can potentially lead to an improvement of behavioural symptoms. These findings are consistent with the findings of two double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover studies demonstrating the anxiolytics properties of CBD in patients with anxiety disorder32,33. In one, CBD had a significant effect on increased brain activity in the right posterior cingulate cortex, which is thought to be involved in the processing of emotional information32, and in the other, simulated public speaking test was evaluated in 24 patients with social anxiety disorder. The CBD treated group had significantly lower anxiety scores than the placebo group during simulated speech, indicating reduction in anxiety, cognitive impairment, and discomfort factors33.
    The cannabis treatment appears to be safe and side effects reported by the patients and parents were moderate and relatively easy to cope with. The most prevalent side effects reported at six months was restlessness, appearing in less than 6.6% of patients. Moreover, the compliance with the treatment was high and only less than 5% have stopped the treatment due to the side effects. We believe that the careful titration schedule especially in the ASD paediatric population is important for maintaining a low side effects rate and increase of the success rate. Furthermore, we believe that a professional instruction and detailed parents’ training sessions are highly important for the increasing of effect to adverse events ratio.
    There are a lot of problems with the study, including different people getting different doses. In one way though, that's a positive thing - patients can find the ratio of cannabinoids and dose that is right for them. Things can be fine-tuned for the individual. On the other hand, it is not a standard dose and finding the "sweet spot" takes time and effort and is imprecise. And while the results speak for themselves there are problems with potential reporting bias and population size, among others. Still, it is encouraging to see the research move forward and show positive results.
    Last edited by NationalTitles17; May 25th, 2019 at 11:28 PM.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

A lot is going to depend on the study results to be released later this year. I have no doubt in the case reports, but the science is terribly important and hopefully is soundly done.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6007739/

Conflicting data exist for the use of marijuana for PTSD; however, current evidence is limited to anecdotal experiences, case reports, and observational studies, making it difficult to make clinical recommendations.

https://www.stripes.com/marijuana-ptsd-study-concludes-after-10-years-of-planning-research-1.570986

Ten researchers gathered in San Francisco this week to comb through data from a just-completed study on the effect of marijuana on post-traumatic stress disorder – the first government-approved research of its kind.The study, conducted by the Scottsdale Research Institute in Phoenix, aims to find whether marijuana effectively and safely treats PTSD. Its participants were all veterans – a group that has anecdotally touted marijuana in recent years as a useful treatment and, in some cases, a substitute for addictive opioids.
    The efficacy study wrapped up this week after nearly a decade of planning, research and navigating bureaucratic red tape, said Sue Sisley, the principal investigator.
    “I don’t think we would be at the finish line without the dedication of all these veterans organizations and individual veterans who stood by us all these years,” Sisley said. “Over the past decade, we had all these veterans standing shoulder-to-shoulder with us, helping to kick down doors. They never relented, and they knew we were determined to persevere.”
    The researchers began analyzing the data and writing about the results this week, Sisley said. They plan to publish them later this year.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrebo.../#352f22921a73

Cannabis researchStudying cannabis is really, really, difficult in the United States.
    Just ask Dr. Sue Sisley, who has spent the last ten years trying to complete the first clinical trial of cannabis use for PTSD in veterans. The study, sponsored by the non-profit Multidisciplinary Associations for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS), finished its groundbreaking research earlier this year after it was approved by the FDA all the way back in 2011. Dr. Sisley overcame multiple obstaclesto complete the study, including being fired from her job at the University of Arizona.
    their argument that “there is no evidence” for medical marijuana use for PTSD patients is only true because there is so little U.S.-based research into medical marijuana.As The Washington Post reported a few years ago, the dearth of methodologically-sound marijuana science is in large part because “scientists must rely heavily on self-reporting from patients, making it extremely difficult to know how much, how often or through what means subjects use marijuana — let alone what type of chemicals they’re ingesting alongside the drug.”
    The bulk of the attention on veteran’s health centers around PTSD, but veterans suffer from disproportionately higher rates of other diseases, as well. Statistically, veterans had higher rates of cancer between 2015 and 2016, perhaps due to the exposure to carcinogenic and radioactive materials like “Agent Orange” in Vietnam and nuclear weapons. Furthermore, almost two-thirds of U.S. military veterans report chronic pain. Medical marijuana has a long history of helping treat these diseases, and it can provide a much safer approach to treatment than high-powered pharmaceuticals like opioids.
    When it comes to mental health issues like PTSD and depression, the V.A.’s current go-to-treatment is known as the “combat cocktail,” a mix of anti-depressants that can have dire side effects if not administered correctly. The V.A.’s prohibition stance and reliance on antidepressants and opioids, however, is out of step with many veterans’ experiences and desires for treatment.
    “More than two million veterans report using cannabis to treat their service-connected injuries according to surveys; anecdotally, hundreds of veterans have publicly testified that cannabis access has saved their lives after being driven to near-suicide under a pharmaceutical load of dozens of pills a day,” Eric Goepel, CEO and Founder of Veterans Cannabis Coalition told me. “Current research supports the potential efficacy of cannabis in dozens of different applications, all of which could have direct positive impacts on overall veteran health. Whether for pain relief, as a sleep aid, or for help in overcoming stress and anxiety, so many veterans find relief in cannabis because it provides an alternative way to manage their conditions far better than a slew of toxic pharmaceuticals.
    By working from the assumption that cannabis use is a disorder, the V.A. is ultimately creating another fracture in a broken system: the millions of veterans use cannabis are not able to integrate their cannabis use into their overall care plan with their doctors. As a result, the V.A.’s prohibition is driving a wedge between veterans who prefer cannabis to psychotropic pharmaceuticals and doctors who arenot allowed to recommend or prescribe cannabis.
    To illustrate how out-of-step the V.A. is with veterans, consider this recent survey from the American Legion: among veterans, 92% support research into medical cannabis and 83% support legalizing medical cannabis—a much higher rate than the broader populace.
    "Scientists, doctors, and your military veterans are screaming for leadership on this subject, in hopes that this plant might be taken seriously and given the deep scientific research it deserves," Doug Distaso, executive director of the Veterans Cannabis Project said. "We hope that happens. Veteran lives depend on it. We are literally dying for it."
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    A lot is going to depend on the study results to be released later this year. I have no doubt in the case reports, but the science is terribly important and hopefully is soundly done.

https://www.stripes.com/marijuana-ptsd-study-concludes-after-10-years-of-planning-research-1.570986

it will take a long time to overcome people's fear of "drugs!11!11!!!!11!1", but the tide does seem to be changing.

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

Last night I finally ordered the grow tent, lights, and other equipment I need to get started on this in earnest. It's not cheap to do right but will pay for itself in less than a year considering money otherwise spent on travel and the product itself. I'll also have control over the quality, so there's that.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

I've known several Viet Nam vets who self-medicated their PTSD with pot and said it was the only thing which got them through the day...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

I don't have an equally impressive video of a veteran using cannabis, but this video is both heartbreaking and heart-warming:

https://www.facebook.com/mark.zartle...user_video_tab

The back story:

https://texasoriginalcc.com/cannabis...ific-research/

But officials from Texas Child Protective Services also saw the videos, and they initiated an investigation and court hearing to consider whether Mr. Zartler was guilty of child abuse, for giving his then 17-year-old daughter an illegal drug. The investigation jeopardized his guardianship status for a daughter who would soon legally be an adult and clearly needed long-term care.
    From the Zartlers’ experience, you can see why cannabis has been embraced by some parents of children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD), and they’re not alone.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/news...a-fit-guardian

Judge Hull Thompson was ready to rule."The court finds it would be for the protection of the rights of [Kara] as well as in [her] best interest for the court to appoint guardians," Thompson said.
    Both Mark and Christy were qualified to be guardians, she ruled.
    The parents smiled at each other and swallowed back tears. They raised their right hands and swore an oath to uphold Kara's rights.
    If that doesn't change someone's mind I have no idea what will.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

OMG, this video should be on national news. Amazing. What a testimony.

I don't have an equally impressive video of a veteran using cannabis, but this video is both heartbreaking and heart-warming:

https://www.facebook.com/mark.zartle...user_video_tab

The back story:

https://texasoriginalcc.com/cannabis...ific-research/

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/news...a-fit-guardian

If that doesn't change someone's mind I have no idea what will.

Christy and Mark dressed themselves with care, too, thinking about the impression they'd make on the judge. Even though both have long considered themselves Republicans, they were glad they got a Democrat instead of a hardline conservative.

this quote has me so freaking mad. I'm really happy for this family that they got a Democrat in their case but it ...... me off that it hasn't changed how they vote
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    this quote has me so freaking mad. I'm really happy for this family that they got a Democrat in their case but it ...... me off that it hasn't changed how they vote
    I think everyone should look at the individual they are voting for and ask if that person supports patients getting naturally growing medicine that works. If not, find someone else - whatever the party affiliation.

That's about as deep into politics I'd like this thread to get - vote for anyone you can who makes this medicine legal for those who need it.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

What those parents go through every day...