Link: Reuben in trouble again... (DV Charges Dropped) (UPDATE: Suspended 2 Games)

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Re: Reuben in trouble again...

Reuben is an All Pro type of guy. Probably the best ILB in the Saban era. Unfortunately, being good at football doesn't make you a good person or help you make the right decisions in life.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

The article doesn't say whether or not the gun is illegal to own in California. It says it depends and kind of leaves it open ended. Obviously have to see how it plays out but if he gets cleared on the domestic and the gun is legal then what? I know that seems highly unlikely right now but just a thought..

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

I wonder how this stuff was handled 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60, years beyond....it’s not like pro athletes just started to do this stuff in the last 5 years.
The difference today is the abundance of video camera everywhere. Sadly, the outrage only started when the public saw players punching women on CCTV.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

The article doesn't say whether or not the gun is illegal to own in California. It says it depends and kind of leaves it open ended. Obviously have to see how it plays out but if he gets cleared on the domestic and the gun is legal then what? I know that seems highly unlikely right now but just a thought..
The offending features are a forward pistol grip, and the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

I have every expectation that this weapon is illegal there, but this is more an indictment of California's ridiculous laws than of Reuben's choice in firearm, though he ought to know better than to push his luck in a state like that.

If the barrel length is shorter than 16" then there is even more trouble, since it would be in violation of federal law if unlicensed, which I would be shocked if Reuben went through the hoops required to possess such a weapon legally.

The Mercury-News is calling it a "short-barreled rifle" but I have zero confidence in their ability to get the terminology right. The Sig 516 has barrel lengths ranging from 7.5 to 18 inches, with 16 being the most common. The news page contains a link to a Youtube video of the CQB, which has a 10 inch barrel, but the video has zero to do with Reuben Foster.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

The offending features are a forward pistol grip, and the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

I have every expectation that this weapon is illegal there, but this is more an indictment of California's ridiculous laws than of Reuben's choice in firearm, though he ought to know better than to push his luck in a state like that.

If the barrel length is shorter than 16" then there is even more trouble, since it would be in violation of federal law if unlicensed, which I would be shocked if Reuben went through the hoops required to possess such a weapon legally.

The Mercury-News is calling it a "short-barreled rifle" but I have zero confidence in their ability to get the terminology right. The Sig 516 has barrel lengths ranging from 7.5 to 18 inches, with 16 being the most common. The news page contains a link to a Youtube video of the CQB, which has a 10 inch barrel, but the video has zero to do with Reuben Foster.
It's a different world there. I know my AR is illegal there on several counts. The effect of the new law creeping through Congress is going to be interesting on "islands" like CA, depending on form when it's finally passed...

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

It's a different world there. I know my AR is illegal there on several counts. The effect of the new law creeping through Congress is going to be interesting on "islands" like CA, depending on form when it's finally passed...
Even then the "islands" will probably sue and force SCOTUS to rule. Even then the courts will still struggle. Two summers ago I drove from Dallas to NY and thought about bringing my XDM .45 and checked the laws of every state I'd pass to make my Texas CHL would be valid. I was good until I got to NY. Called a friend I grew up with who is a detective with NYPD and he said you may be ok based on the "passing through" provision as long as the weapon and Ammo were separate and not accessible from the passenger area. He went on to say "Good luck on knowing what defines weapon and ammo separate and not accessible." It will vary based on the Judge, Police and DA. Get nailed in NYC or West Chester County, kiss your butt and .45 goodbye. On the Island, depends on the county. Western/Upstate NY, they'd probably take you out shooting. I took his advice and left it home.

Back to football, I hope Reuben takes time to understand how serious this is and surrounds himself with the right advisors and take whatever action he needs to become a better person.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

The domestic violence aside a man should be able to buy a gun to protect his home especially when you are a wealthy target. Heck even a poor target has the right to defend his property.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Was this domestic violence though? Strange that you can’t remove someone from your home that doesn’t want to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
No kidding. When we first moved into the house we're currently in we had to have about five trees cut down in the front yard. We hired someone to cut them down but specifically told them that's all we wanted them to do. We would handle the clean up. We wanted to cut up the wood for firewood and bonfire wood. It was going to take us a few weeks to get all of this done. My father in law and me were going to do it and we were going to take the weekends to do it.We both work full time jobs. We don't live in a "neighborhood" with HOA covenants or anything like that. But we do have neighbors within walking distance of our house.

One afternoon I'd just gotten home from work and a truck pulls into my drive. This man gets out and introduces himself as my "neighbor a few houses down". I figured he was just there to introduce himself and welcome us to the "neighborhood". Was I wrong. He proceeded to tell me that I needed to get the wood in my front yard cleaned up because it was an "eye sore" to the neighborhood. I "politely" told him that we were in the process of "cleaning it up" but it would be a few weeks and the best thing for him to do was get back in his little blue truck and get off my property. The situation began to escalate after I repeatedly asked the guy to leave. There was a point where I was about to literally punch the guy in the face but I started thinking of the legal ramifications that I could possibly have against me. My "final warning" to him was if he didn't remove himself from my property I was calling the sheriff's office. Thankfully he did leave without me having to call authorities. No one wants to get the cops involved. No one wins.

No kidding. When we first moved into the house we're currently in we had to have about five trees cut down in the front yard. We hired someone to cut them down but specifically told them that's all we wanted them to do. We would handle the clean up. We wanted to cut up the wood for firewood and bonfire wood. It was going to take us a few weeks to get all of this done. My father in law and me were going to do it and we were going to take the weekends to do it.We both work full time jobs. We don't live in a "neighborhood" with HOA covenants or anything like that. But we do have neighbors within walking distance of our house.

One afternoon I'd just gotten home from work and a truck pulls into my drive. This man gets out and introduces himself as my "neighbor a few houses down". I figured he was just there to introduce himself and welcome us to the "neighborhood". Was I wrong. He proceeded to tell me that I needed to get the wood in my front yard cleaned up because it was an "eye sore" to the neighborhood. I "politely" told him that we were in the process of "cleaning it up" but it would be a few weeks and the best thing for him to do was get back in his little blue truck and get off my property. The situation began to escalate after I repeatedly asked the guy to leave. There was a point where I was about to literally punch the guy in the face but I started thinking of the legal ramifications that I could possibly have against me. My "final warning" to him was if he didn't remove himself from my property I was calling the sheriff's office. Thankfully he did leave without me having to call authorities. No one wants to get the cops involved. No one wins.
Completely understand that. I do wish he’d use the same judgement, but to call it domestic abuse is a bit much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

DeMeco Ryans is a 49ers coach and I'd heard one of his responsibilities was to mentor Foster, especially since they share playing LB at Alabama. The only saving grace, right now, for Reuben and his career with the 49ers is that there is literally nothing else happening soon for players currently under contract. He's probably already lost some guarantees due to the marijuana incident. Lynch and Shanahan have both said that they look at these things on a case-by-case basis, but they immediately let go of Tremaine Brock last year before the start of OTAs due to a domestic violence incident.

As for the guns rules, it does not matter what Reuben should be allowed to own. CA's laws on the issue are what Reuben needs to be aware of. That's what matters in this decision making process. Furthermore, the NFL can do its own thing irrespective of what the prosecutors decide to do legally. Hopefully, Reuben will stay with the 49ers and go through the punishments that are doled out, and learn from this monumental incident.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

I once had a girlfriend deliberately stand in front of the TV at my place during a Bama game.
Police became involved. Eventually.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.