Link: Reuben in trouble again... (DV Charges Dropped) (UPDATE: Suspended 2 Games) - Page 3
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Re: Reuben in trouble again...

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Meh, every single one of these guys is a grown man. Maybe not fully mentally developed when they enter the NFL, but a vast majority of guys playing in the NFL have their act together wrt self discipline. IOW, I don't see it as an NFL problem, I see it as a problem on an individual basis. It would behoove teams to identify these guys and make classes / therapy contractually obligated.
    Yep, at some point these guys have to learn how to "do life" themselves without having training wheels and someone running behind them holding the seat as they go. Those who don't are normally broke and in many cases are wearing an orange onesie with numbers on the back.

Regarding the NFL and their responsibility in this. They already have A LOT of programs available to players for life guidance. I know they really beefed up the rookie symposium several years ago and provide a stellar system for rookies to start off their NFL career on the right foot. I think it may come down to the "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink" type thing. The resources have been provided for them and they've been given some great advice. But they are the ones who have to actually apply it.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

It may be an individual problem but NFL teams invest a ton of money into these guys so it would make a ton of since for them to do as much as possible to make sure that investment works out.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

For guys like Foster and McClain, the counseling and training has to be ongoing. If not, it won't work. Simple as that.

Pulling yourself up by the bootstraps doesn't always happen in a vacuum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do wonder if a lot of these guys (Rolando and possibly Reuben as well) suffer from some form of mental illness. It appears Johnny Manziel has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and is now on medication to treat it. Good for him, I hope it works and he can become a productive member of society. I hope Reuben follows suit in addressing his issues and gets on the same right path. These guys have too much talent and opportunity to waste it.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...-back-football
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation First Team TAKEPRIDE22's Avatar

Being domestic, if guilty, and probably even if not, I don't think this will end well for him based on how the NFL is looking at these.

Quote Originally Posted by TAKEPRIDE22 View Post
    Being domestic, if guilty, and probably even if not, I don't think this will end well for him based on how the NFL is looking at these.
    This is what I'm afraid of as well. Many times in our society when we finally decide to correct a problem we go to the same degree of extremes to correct it as we did to allow it. Right now, being associated with DV in the landscape of college and professional sports isn't a good situation and the outcome may very well lead to complete exile.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; February 12th, 2018 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    This is what I'm afraid of as well. Many times in our society when we finally decide to correct a problem we go to the same degree of extremes to correct it as we did to allow it. Right now, being associated with DV in the landscape of college and professional sports isn't a good situation and the outcome may very well lead to complete exile.
    Well, the NFL has specific rules about this stuff now - first time offense for domestic abuse is a six game suspension, for example.

This NFL is not like the NCAA - there are a lot of contracts involved - so they have far less latitude with regards to making things up on the fly than the NCAA does.

Obviously this could make it tough for him to find a team later on, could affect his contract negotiations, etc - but if he gets his act together (assuming these charges even have merit), he'll be fine.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Well, the NFL has specific rules about this stuff now - first time offense for domestic abuse is a six game suspension, for example.

This NFL is not like the NCAA - there are a lot of contracts involved - so they have far less latitude with regards to making things up on the fly than the NCAA does.

Obviously this could make it tough for him to find a team later on, could affect his contract negotiations, etc - but if he gets his act together (assuming these charges even have merit), he'll be fine.
    I do hope he gets his act together. Because DV is a smoking hot issue within professional sports (college as well), especially the NFL. It is one of those situations that though you are eligible to play by the NFL. There's enough smoke around your situation that teams stay away from you and you end up on the outside looking in. Again, I REALLY hope Reuben gets his stuff together.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

All the more impressive that Coach Saban can keep these kids in line while in T-Town (for the most part). But, kids like Reuben and McLain -- would be better off in a military type structure -- than in big cities with tons of cash at their disposal..... 3 years isn't enough to change behaviors/tendencies .....
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

Coach has and does continue to give these young men structure all be it things to occupy there time. This most will not have after they leave UA.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Nah, what it says is that Bama provides an atmosphere and structure that does a wonderful job to stay focused while in schoool. I think some of these guys really miss the structure they had a Bama, but at some point an adult has to learn to structure his/her own life.
    Last edited by ROTYDE; February 12th, 2018 at 11:58 AM.
    " I THOUGHT THIS MUST BE WHAT GOD LOOKS LIKE."

GEORGE BLANDA
    in talking about Coach Paul Bryant

Alabama is 2- and 3-deep all over the place with full grown, meaner-than-he!! men. It's almost not fair making college kids play against them. Any Saban-coached team is going to be deep as he!! with recruits that have elite size, strength and experience at their position and they are going to play with incredible physicality.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar

I wonder how this stuff was handled 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60, years beyond....itís not like pro athletes just started to do this stuff in the last 5 years.

BamaNation All-American

NVM

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    I wonder how this stuff was handled 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60, years beyond....it’s not like pro athletes just started to do this stuff in the last 5 years.

It was ignored.