Link: Reuben in trouble again... (DV Charges Dropped) (UPDATE: Suspended 2 Games)

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Re: Reuben in trouble again...

Wrong - this would encourage the rich to behave as they wish. That is not better than our current system.
Indeed. And it would encourage revolution. I recall a scene in "A Tale of Two Cities" in which a noble's carriage runs over and kills a child. He tosses a few coins out the window and goes on his way. Later, he loses his head. Dual justice is no justice at all.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

If this is indeed true, how bad does the police look in this? At no point, the video wasn’t mentioned by someone during the investigation? No one said anything about the other fight?
The police are following up on the investigation of the evidence they had. She doesn't mention when she told investigators about the video. We do know it wasn't the night of the initial report.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

No, she is a liar period. She either lied about the attack, or she lied it being in a fight with another woman. Either way she lied, doesn't matter if it's to protect him or not. A lie is a lie period. She has lost all credibility at this point no matter what story she goes with. She has even admitted to lying through her attorney, what more do you need? Lol
Okay, they you are a liar. Period. And so am I. Period. And so is everyone else. Period. So calling someone a liar like this makes the use of the word meaningless. You might as well say that we are human. Because all humans are liars.

We are all liars and none of us have any credibility?

ETA - I am not trying to be offensive. I am just pointing out that the use of a word too broadly can make it meaningless. We don't tend to call people liars unless they have stepped beyond some line which most of us would not cross.
Telling a lie and being a liar is different IMO. I've told lies. Many times for good and bad reasons but I don't consider myself a liar.

I know people who are liars. They'll lie habitually. Mostly to either bill themselves as something they're not and/or to degrade others. I don't like it. I've called some on it. Doesn't usually end well but sometimes I can't let it roll off my back especially when it involves a family member or true friend.

I don't know the woman. I have no idea what she is. But I do know if Reuben abused her, for whatever reason, he should be punished regardless of his football skills or financial status.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Telling a lie and being a liar is different IMO. I've told lies. Many times for good and bad reasons but I don't consider myself a liar.

I know people who are liars. They'll lie habitually. Mostly to either bill themselves as something they're not and/or to degrade others. I don't like it. I've called some on it. Doesn't usually end well but sometimes I can't let it roll off my back especially when it involves a family member or true friend.

I don't know the woman. I have no idea what she is. But I do know if Reuben abused her, for whatever reason, he should be punished regardless of his football skills or financial status.
100% right. If he did what she accused him of, he should pay the price.

Trouble is, that knife cuts both ways. If she lied about it (which is the only way to reconcile all her statements), then she should be prosecuted.

if the '49ers, or Reuben, or anybody else compensated her to change her story, then both they and she should be prosecuted.

I no longer have any idea who to believe, and that's a sad outcome in and of itself.

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

You are walking an ethical line most people walk -- they rationalize their own behavior as not as "bad" as others. Bottom line -- if you lie, then you are a liar. If you habitually lie, then you are an habitual liar...Either you tell the truth or you don't.

As for Reuben -- I hope he's innocent. If not, he's thrown away a good opportunity. If he is, then I think I would find a better class of girlfriend.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

You are walking an ethical line most people walk -- they rationalize their own behavior as not as "bad" as others. Bottom line -- if you lie, then you are a liar. If you habitually lie, then you are an habitual liar...Either you tell the truth or you don't.

As for Reuben -- I hope he's innocent. If not, he's thrown away a good opportunity. If he is, then I think I would find a better class of girlfriend.
If we are seemingly wanting to deal in the letter of the law rather than the spirit of it. All it takes is someone not telling the truth (even a "little white lie") or any version that isn't EXACTLY the truth, one time, for them to be a liar. Tell a little white lie when you're 20 years old? You're a liar 30 years later even if that's the only time you do it. We have to be very careful with the letter of the law mentality.

And for the record, because I've seen one or two posters alluding to this. Simply because this young lady potentially lied, doesn't mean Reuben didn't hit her. It's almost like "we're" viewing this as "If she lied it means Reuben didn't hit her." That's not necessarily true.

Last edited:

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org

The police are following up on the investigation of the evidence they had. She doesn't mention when she told investigators about the video. We do know it wasn't the night of the initial report.
Actually with the NFL/Goodell advocating their own case by case law, the damage may have already been done to Foster no matter the police investigation!
These players in any pro-sport need to be careful as to whom they associate with, friends or for that matter companies!
If I was one of them, I'd have a through background check done on everyone trying to associate with me or any of my associates...
At the same time they need to use that often un-relied upon human trait of 'Common Sense'...

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Gee, how does a seminary grad jump into this one without sounding like he's preaching or talking religion?

I know what I'll do.....

The word "liar" gets thrown around with great fervor mostly as an attempt to discredit someone else. All of us - at some point - have lied.
Here's my problem with how that gets thrown around: there is an assumption inherent in affixing the label "liar" to someone that the
person is discredited on every subject. That is absolutely absurd. And yet we act like it's a moment of great import.

The idea that if a person EVER lied about anything that they cannot be believed to be telling the truth about ANYTHING is preposterous on
its face. Why do we lie? Well, because ALL of us have done things of which we are not proud. We often lie by omission or silence.

But "CSI" (while an exaggeration of reality) makes a valid point that Grissom makes over and over: "People lie, I follow the evidence." In
some cases, there isn't any evidence and sometimes there's a mountain of it. Johnnie Cochran got away with planting the idea in the jury's
mind that since Fuhrman lied about using a particular word, the Bible tells us he's never to be trusted again. A competent prosecutor would
have strung up OJ Simpson with all the contradictory things he'd said as an alibi and then hung Cochran's quote around the defense team's
necks, but I digress.

If we're going under the assumption of "once a liar can never be trusted" then it's time to shut down Tidefans and head to confession.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

If we are seemingly wanting to deal in the letter of the law rather than the spirit of it. All it takes is someone not telling the truth (even a "little white lie") or any version that isn't EXACTLY the truth, one time, for them to be a liar. Tell a little white lie when you're 20 years old? You're a liar 30 years later even if that's the only time you do it. We have to be very careful with the letter of the law mentality.

And for the record, because I've seen one or two posters alluding to this. Simply because this young lady potentially lied, doesn't mean Reuben didn't hit her. It's almost like "we're" viewing this as "If she lied it means Reuben didn't hit her." That's not necessarily true.
Exactly how an investigator with nothing invested in a particular outcome would look at it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Gee, how does a seminary grad jump into this one without sounding like he's preaching or talking religion?

I know what I'll do.....

The word "liar" gets thrown around with great fervor mostly as an attempt to discredit someone else. All of us - at some point - have lied.
Here's my problem with how that gets thrown around: there is an assumption inherent in affixing the label "liar" to someone that the
person is discredited on every subject. That is absolutely absurd. And yet we act like it's a moment of great import.

The idea that if a person EVER lied about anything that they cannot be believed to be telling the truth about ANYTHING is preposterous on
its face. Why do we lie? Well, because ALL of us have done things of which we are not proud. We often lie by omission or silence.

But "CSI" (while an exaggeration of reality) makes a valid point that Grissom makes over and over: "People lie, I follow the evidence." In
some cases, there isn't any evidence and sometimes there's a mountain of it. Johnnie Cochran got away with planting the idea in the jury's
mind that since Fuhrman lied about using a particular word, the Bible tells us he's never to be trusted again. A competent prosecutor would
have strung up OJ Simpson with all the contradictory things he'd said as an alibi and then hung Cochran's quote around the defense team's
necks, but I digress.

If we're going under the assumption of "once a liar can never be trusted" then it's time to shut down Tidefans and head to confession.
My reply was to deal with the "pass" we too often give ourselves while being harsh toward others. We all set the ethical scales in our favor...if we recognize that then we can admit our own culpability and deal with others differently. And to answer your first question...not easily.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Good chance Reuben Foster is on the Niners is 2018 and going forward. They didn't really draft like they needed to replace both ILBs.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

I know what I'll do.....

necks, but I digress.

Could you cite where in the Bible your bolded statement is stated or implied? There were a number of faithful believers who lied, e.g., Abraham, Sarah, Jacob, David, Peter, etc. They are certainly not branded as liars in the Bible or never to be trusted again. Each one I just named were trusted after their lie by the Lord Himself. Sarah lied to the Lord's face. The Bible is full of individuals who sinned in one way or another, including lying, adultery, murder, repented, then were used or "trusted" by the Lord later.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms

I think he means Cochran used ignorance of the Bible to convey that idea.
Could you cite where in the Bible your bolded statement is stated or implied? There were a number of faithful believers who lied, e.g., Abraham, Sarah, Jacob, David, Peter, etc. They are certainly not branded as liars in the Bible or never to be trusted again. Each one I just named were trusted after their lie by the Lord Himself. Sarah lied to the Lord's face. The Bible is full of individuals who sinned in one way or another, including lying, adultery, murder, repented, then were used or "trusted" by the Lord later.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al

At this point I can see all charges being thrown out. I'm all for protecting women, but I have seen enough vindictive women that I just don't know at this time what to think. If he did or didn't do it then who really knows to the point of ruining someones career.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I'll confess that I was pretty condemnatory towards Reuben when this affair started and I started this thread. There is a strong disposition to lean to the side against someone who has a history of bad decisions. Now, I'm not so sure. It seems to me that he may have made another bad decision in choice of companions. The ear drum thing caught my attention. It seems to me that it would have marginally been more likely to occur in a "cat fight" with another woman, with a slap upside the head or "ear-boxing." With a male attacker, the more common injury is the broken jaw or cheekbone, or the black eye/ocular orbit fracture. Of course, this is is all speculation and she could have had those injuries from him. Anyway, the courts and the NFL will make their decisions. As rgw said, the 49ers didn't draft like they expected to need another ILB. They will, however, use the incident to beat his future salary down...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

At this point I can see all charges being thrown out. I'm all for protecting women, but I have seen enough vindictive women that I just don't know at this time what to think. If he did or didn't do it then who really knows to the point of ruining someones career.
I agree and am completely on board with women serving time behind bars who are proven to have lied about any form of assault (sexual, domestic etc.). However, it is a very, very real and common thing for women to "change their story" because of outside influences. Those outside influences can range from threats of "If you proceed with this you're going to regret it" to "If you proceed with this where's your money going to come from" etc.

But you are right, there are women who are vindictive and will completely make stuff up out of the blue. That to happens a lot. So finding the truth is like sifting through a lot of crap in trying to find the diamond.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005

Without going into any detail I have been accused of sexual harassment in the workplace, by one woman, along with all of the other guys supervising shifts where I work. As a son, husband, and a father of three daughters I understand completely the need to protect an individual's right to a safe, respectful workplace, and as far as I know that's what we've got. When this accusation was made I got very, very angry at being falsely accused but the company's attitude was for us all to just be calm and see what happened. No lawsuit was ever filed and it did die down, but man, you are talking about my reputation here, in a place where I have spent my entire adult life.

I do not know what this woman expected to gain by doing this, but I truly wish we had been allowed to confront her face to face, and that the company would have fired her for lying. In the case of Rueben Foster, if this woman lied then his reputation and his ability to earn a living have been damaged, and as someone said above, this WILL cost him money even if he is completely innocent, there needs to be some sort of consequences. It is too easy in this country for someone to tear down another's reputation. It needs to not be this easy.

rtr

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

About 25 years ago I got called out for SH....for telling a joke at a luncheon. I still tell the joke, every time I tell the story, it's pretty clean and hilarious! Not sure what the individual wanted, she was let go about a month later, but I had to stand up in the conference room and apologize to EVERY woman in the company for being some sort of misogynist. I started looking for another job immediately. Side Note: It was halloween and I was dressed head to toe as Gumby!!! Yeah, I was a threat...LOL!!!
Without going into any detail I have been accused of sexual harassment in the workplace, by one woman, along with all of the other guys supervising shifts where I work. As a son, husband, and a father of three daughters I understand completely the need to protect an individual's right to a safe, respectful workplace, and as far as I know that's what we've got. When this accusation was made I got very, very angry at being falsely accused but the company's attitude was for us all to just be calm and see what happened. No lawsuit was ever filed and it did die down, but man, you are talking about my reputation here, in a place where I have spent my entire adult life.

I do not know what this woman expected to gain by doing this, but I truly wish we had been allowed to confront her face to face, and that the company would have fired her for lying. In the case of Rueben Foster, if this woman lied then his reputation and his ability to earn a living have been damaged, and as someone said above, this WILL cost him money even if he is completely innocent, there needs to be some sort of consequences. It is too easy in this country for someone to tear down another's reputation. It needs to not be this easy.

rtr

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.