Good article about the potential QB transfer from ECU. Sorry if already posted

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
And we've seen situations like that with runningbacks seasons ago
In 2004, the team started Spencer Pennington at QB against Auburn. I remember that vividly. This is a great move for both parties. I hope the coaches can get Hurts involved in other roles outside of QB so we can utilize all of our talent to its fullest extent.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Not sure why he would transfer to Bama. Either he is doing it to try and be there for a championship or he wants to get coaching that might get him to the NFL.
He wants to go into coaching after graduating. Probably will participate on the team this year and GTA the next. Not all routes lead to the NFL even if it involves staying in coaching. And Saban has already produced a few young coaches from his earlier teams such as Chapman and Upchurch.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
He wants to go into coaching after graduating. Probably will participate on the team this year and GTA the next. Not all routes lead to the NFL even if it involves staying in coaching. And Saban has already produced a few young coaches from his earlier teams such as Chapman and Upchurch.
Not to mention our new DL coach, whose spelling I am about to butcher, Kuligowski.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Vol fans are having unrealistic expectations over him but then again.... they haven't had much in terms of a qb other than Dobbs. (And that wasn't a perfect scenario either)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Chryst was Rivals #2 pro style QB in the class of 2014. David Cornwell was Rivals #3 so TFWIW. He will still be an improvement over what they currently have.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Chryst is not bad but he's not going to change the Vols trajectory that much in 2018. They're playing the "get bowl eligible in year one" game. If they get better on the OL then I imagine he could be just enough stability at QB to assure bowl eligibility. This wasn't a move to make for a big year one for Pruitt but it may help him steady the ship there and get some momentum in recruiting for 2019.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He's not going to transfer because he'll just sit a year. He's probably going to finish undergrad next Spring or Summer because he enrolled early in his freshman year. He will be the hottest graduate transfer QB since Russell Wilson in Spring 2019.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He's not going to transfer because he'll just sit a year. He's probably going to finish undergrad next Spring or Summer because he enrolled early in his freshman year. He will be the hottest graduate transfer QB since Russell Wilson in Spring 2019.
I tend to agree. Jalen comes from a very football-savvy family. Some of our ill-advised QB transfers in the past came about because susceptible family members got snowed by hangers-on who convinced them that their kids were future all-pros who were being held back by prejudiced people. Even if Jalen doesn't start a single game, which is probable right now, he's better hanging on and going the grad transfer route...

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Even if Jalen dosen't start this year, I hope he's involved in the offense somehow. He's a fantastic athlete. Maybe not the best pure QB but no one can deny he's a very talented athlete. It would make the offense that much more dangerous if played properly.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Even if Jalen dosen't start this year, I hope he's involved in the offense somehow. He's a fantastic athlete. Maybe not the best pure QB but no one can deny he's a very talented athlete. It would make the offense that much more dangerous if played properly.
I keep struggling with where you put him, if not at QB...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I keep struggling with where you put him, if not at QB...
Me too. We have a bunch of young receivers and are loaded. Harris shocking everyone by coming back so we don't need runningbacks. We seem set at tightend so I fail to see where he can contribute other than QB. Maybe set-up some Wildcat packages?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
So Fiutak is saying not to count out Hurts from keeping the starting job and using Minshew as the passing threat. Going to be interesting between now and fall camp. Not sure how much he knows, but it is a possibility.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So Fiutak is saying not to count out Hurts from keeping the starting job and using Minshew as the passing threat. Going to be interesting between now and fall camp. Not sure how much he knows, but it is a possibility.
I'd say it's the dimmest possibility possible. Fiutak is at the time of year when it's necessary to make up stuff. And that's pretty dumb stuff...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If you think we're going to end up with Hurts and a backup QB from ECU as our QB room by this Fall then you haven't been paying attention.

More likely that Minshew ends up being the backup to Tua with Hurts at slotback & wildcat QB than that...

The most likely scenario is that Minshew is the 3rd stringer, Hurts has some Tebow package work, and Tua is the starter.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
If you think we're going to end up with Hurts and a backup QB from ECU as our QB room by this Fall then you haven't been paying attention.

More likely that Minshew ends up being the backup to Tua with Hurts at slotback & wildcat QB than that...

The most likely scenario is that Minshew is the 3rd stringer, Hurts has some Tebow package work, and Tua is the starter.
You may be right but we need 4 QB's on scholarship and that is what we achieved by bringing this kid in. Not as cut and dry as you make it seem.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.