Good article about the potential QB transfer from ECU. Sorry if already posted

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Good article about the young fellow, and also an interesting comment toward the end that may give a clue about who may be ahead in the competition for starting qb, if there is that...

"Enos told Minshew that the main thing he is looking for in his quarterbacks at Alabama is decision-making. He wants his quarterbacks to be able to go through progressions and make smart plays."

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/...w-graduate-transfer-quarterback-east-carolina

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Sounds like he has no illusions as to what it will take to get playing time in Tuscaloosa. Coming in this fall and winning the starting QB job would be quite an accomplishment.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Good article about the young fellow, and also an interesting comment toward the end that may give a clue about who may be ahead in the competition for starting qb, if there is that...

"Enos told Minshew that the main thing he is looking for in his quarterbacks at Alabama is decision-making. He wants his quarterbacks to be able to go through progressions and make smart plays."

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/...w-graduate-transfer-quarterback-east-carolina
That is an interesting quote by Enos...considering all the talk about Tua and Jalen. It is the way we need to do things though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Minshew, who has one year of eligibility left and the potential for a redshirt year, said he’s leaning toward the Tide.

“Alabama 100 percent leads,” Minshew told SEC Country. “They were the first ones to hit me up. There haven’t been many schools to hit me up. I told the [Alabama] coaches that it was a situation that was favorable for me. I’m in. They told me they’re in, so I’m in on them. That’s where I’m at right now.”
“As far as getting on the field right away [at Alabama], it’s going to be a grind,” Minshew said. “They told me that I can come in and compete. That’s all I ask for. I know where I’m coming in at. They have two really, really, really good young guys. I can’t say enough about them, their leadership and maturity. I just hope to bring in work ethic, leadership and more maturity. I want to help out that room any way I can.”
Love his attitude, sounds like he would be an asset to the team whether he plays or not.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Sounds like a great option considering the uncertainties at QB. Now, for a quality guy ( at least 1 ) for the interior D line and we`re set IMO.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
No comment on his ability as I just now learned he existed. But I will say I admire his guts in transferring here with our QB situation being the way it is.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I wouldn't read too much into this w/r/t Jalen Hurts. The fact is that we took a preferred walk-on at QB (Braxton Barker) and would prefer that he not count for the next four or five years by playing him at some point this season. So it is "cheaper" to the scholarship situation to bring in this guy for one season and stash away Barker as a developmental project. We really kinda need at least 4 guys who can play at quarterback too. I'd also concede that it is less likely that Tua or Jalen is taking garbage time snaps since we know what we're getting with those two. More likely that Mac Jones and any grad transfer we bring into fold get the bulk of the garbage time snaps.

I will say that Enos' comments seem to point towards Tagvailoa being a philosophical preference with this new offensive staff. I still imagine that Jalen Hurts would be getting snaps at quarterback though. I think we're going to see something like the 2006 Gators QB rotation next year. We get so much mileage off that QB sweep near the goal line. For that reason alone, I see a role for Hurts in this offense in short yardage.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
Wonder if he can do other things like special teams or catch the ball. Did he hold for kicks at ECU? Maybe he can help Jalen out in the slot?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Heh, as wrong as I was he sounds just like the type of guy I wanted Alabama to get last year (the difference is this year the numbers are very different). Seems like a good fit and backup plan as long as he arrives understanding he's not likely to play meaningful minutes.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I wouldn't read too much into this w/r/t Jalen Hurts. The fact is that we took a preferred walk-on at QB (Braxton Barker) and would prefer that he not count for the next four or five years by playing him at some point this season. So it is "cheaper" to the scholarship situation to bring in this guy for one season and stash away Barker as a developmental project. We really kinda need at least 4 guys who can play at quarterback too. I'd also concede that it is less likely that Tua or Jalen is taking garbage time snaps since we know what we're getting with those two. More likely that Mac Jones and any grad transfer we bring into fold get the bulk of the garbage time snaps.

I will say that Enos' comments seem to point towards Tagvailoa being a philosophical preference with this new offensive staff. I still imagine that Jalen Hurts would be getting snaps at quarterback though. I think we're going to see something like the 2006 Gators QB rotation next year. We get so much mileage off that QB sweep near the goal line. For that reason alone, I see a role for Hurts in this offense in short yardage.
If this comes to fruition like you said and like I hope it does, this offense could be incredibly dynamic. There are so many explosive play makers at the skill positions and the offensive line will be extremely talented and deep. Getting both of these talented quarterbacks involved and not affect the rhythm of the offense could result in this year's unit being one of the best ever. Plus it keeps both guys happy.

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
The 6-foot-1, 223-pound quarterback said he plans to visit Tuscaloosa, which is roughly a 2 1/2-hour drive west on I-20 from Brandon, Miss., as soon as he can. It’s likely the school he chooses if everything goes well on his visit.
Someone needs to buy the writer a map and a compass.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If this comes to fruition like you said and like I hope it does, this offense could be incredibly dynamic. There are so many explosive play makers at the skill positions and the offensive line will be extremely talented and deep. Getting both of these talented quarterbacks involved and not affect the rhythm of the offense could result in this year's unit being one of the best ever. Plus it keeps both guys happy.
I think we wanted to mix the two in the second half but the staff didn't really have a good strategy for doing so. I think you can do the 2-QB system when you have a very structured method rotating the guys and it is clearly defined who is the "regular" quarterback. Hurts would have to accept a lesser role in what I'm imagining but his impact could be immense.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.