New process could make wood as strong as titanium alloys but lighter and cheaper

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
"This new way to treat wood makes it 12 times stronger than natural wood and 10 times tougher," said Liangbing Hu of UMD's A. James Clark School of Engineering and the leader of the team that did the research, to be published on February 8, 2018 in the journal Nature. "This could be a competitor to steel or even titanium alloys, it is so strong and durable. It's also comparable to carbon fiber, but much less expensive." Hu is an associate professor of materials science and engineering and a member of the Maryland Energy Innovation Institute.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/02/180207151829.htm

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
That is a very interesting development. Plywood manufacturers used to tout that "pound for pound, plywood is stronger than steel".

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I'd be willing to bet that this bit of knowledge - or at least something similar - is something that was discovered long ago and subsequently forgotten. It would explain a few things about some ancient construction techniques that have heretofore puzzled modern man.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
6 months from now we will read of a story of some dude rubbing this stuff on his junk
The article says it is a new way of treating wood so what's your point?

"It is as strong as steel, but six times lighter.
An almost serious question, how is something six times lighter than something else? I don't understand the math; seems like just one times lighter would mean it weighs nothing.

Last edited:

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
The article says it is a new way of treating wood so what's your point?

An almost serious question, how is something six times lighter than something else? I don't understand the math; seems like just one times lighter would mean it weighs nothing.
Halogen bulbs man, they are more than six times lighter than incandescent. :wink:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Probably won't happen because both of these professors are obviously illegal immigrants and will be picked up by ICE and deported to wherever the hell they came from. :rolleye2:

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Probably won't happen because both of these professors are obviously illegal immigrants and will be picked up by ICE and deported to wherever the hell they came from. :rolleye2:
Well at least they can build their own wood boat to get them back home.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Considering how mathematically ignorant most of the US populace is today, using '1/6th the weight of...' is considered bad in the world of modern journalism.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Wow! Amazing discovery. I wish the studs in my house and on my deck were treated.

Termites are going to hate it. The bark beetle is going to love it.

I wonder how easily it burns?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.