News Article: Great piece on Calvin Ridley "Unguardable!""Explosive!"

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Thanks for sharing.

One of the constants for Ridley at Alabama has been Saban, who like with so many of his players has served as a father figure to the wide receiver. Daniels couldn't be more thankful.

"Nick Saban has grown my son into the man he is," she said. "The difference coach Saban has made for Calvin personally isn't a little bit. It's a lot."

That should be in every recruiting package sent out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
... Great read - very much enjoyed that - thank you for posting it :smile:

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
Re: Great piece on Calvin Ridley "Unguardable!""Explosive!"

Ridley will be missed. Just wished we had an offense that was geared to his strengths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
We had the offense but didn't have the QB able to get him the ball. He set the freshman WR record at Alabama for yards and receptions with Coker. Tua has solved that problem.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Just watched a highlight video of Calvin. There were a BUNCH of plays where he was tackled inside the 5. Not sure what to make of that, but it’s noticeable.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
No telling what his numbers look like with Coker at qb. Those two on the go routes were so exciting to watch. Coker would lay it right there and Calvin would always make the play. I have never seen anyone who can stop and go like Calvin. He can full sprint to dead stop in a step with NO extra body movement and get it back to full speed the same.
I loved it when Dan Mullen said they had three dbs on him this year and he still couldn't stop him.
Levi Wallace have him a lot of credit for making him better. At senior bowl he said he can't count how many times he thought he hurt himself trying to stay with CR.

Last edited:
Great piece on Calvin Ridley "Unguardable!""Explosive!"

We had the offense but didn't have the QB able to get him the ball. He set the freshman WR record at Alabama for yards and receptions with Coker. Tua has solved that problem.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I’m was trying my best not to throw someone under the bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Just watched a highlight video of Calvin. There were a BUNCH of plays where he was tackled inside the 5. Not sure what to make of that, but it’s noticeable.
Interesting point.

I haven't seen the video but I thought of this during the season and mentioned it in some thread (a game thread I think). From what I recall, it seems that most of the times that Ridley got tackled at the goal line was due to under thrown passes or good angles by a defensive player to make a final play. I don't think he was caught from behind often, if at all, unless he was avoiding a defender ahead of him.

What does the video show with regard to this?

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Great piece on Calvin Ridley "Unguardable!""Explosive!"

Interesting point.

I haven't seen the video but I thought of this during the season and mentioned it in some thread (a game thread I think). From what I recall, it seems that most of the times that Ridley got tackled at the goal line was due to under thrown passes or good angles by a defensive player to make a final play. I don't think he was caught from behind often, if at all, unless he was avoiding a defender ahead of him.

What does the video show with regard to this?
I noticed it in game too. I don’t necessarily think this is all bad on Ridley, just an interesting thing. That said, there were at least a couple of times where I felt like he could have outrun a player to the goal line but chose to try to make a cut instead and got caught or run out of bounds as a result. A lot of it was, as you pointed out, underthrown balls, diving catches, or simply plays where he was tackled inside the 5 yard line.

I feel like he could’ve had about six or eight more career touchdowns had a few of those plays gone just a little bit differently

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Obviously he has to go pro, but if he were coming back, he'd have a good chance to break the all-time SEC record for receiving yards. Of course, if Cooper had come back for his senior season he would have obliterated it.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016

Calvin had a step on every db and on every qb's deep throw. I seem to recall Coker underthrowing him some, even with that cannon. I don't think it was so much the qb, but more the speed that CR has that led to underthrown balls.

Could the qb have thrown deeper? Probably. It's got to be hard for a qb to lay it out that far trusting that CR would be there instead of trusting their eyes and a normal human's abilities.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Curious to see what his 40 time at the combine is. I actually think he is a little underrated by the "NFL draft experts" right now. His age might hurt him in the draft.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Curious to see what his 40 time at the combine is. I actually think he is a little underrated by the "NFL draft experts" right now. His age might hurt him in the draft.
From 2016:
Four Alabama wide receivers ran a 4.43 or better in the 40 — redshirt junior Robert Foster (4.34), sophomore Calvin Ridley (4.35), sophomore Xavian Marks (4.40) and redshirt junior ArDarius Stewart (4.43). Foster’s time was tied for the best on the team with cornerbacks Tony Brown and Anthony Averett. Ridley’s time was fourth-best. Only one wide receiver ran faster than a 4.39 at this year’s NFL scouting combine.
From 2017:

[FONT=&quot]Junior Calvin Ridley: 4.43[/FONT]

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Let's throw in OJ Howard as well. He may have been the most underutilized player we've ever had at Bama.

OJ is a not-so-close second. Go back and check Ozzie Newsom's stats from college to the pros. Even with the wishbone disclaimer, his skills were only touched upon.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Why would his age hurt him. If he came out with his normal age group from high school going to college he would be a graduating Senior right now. I doubt one year is going to hurt his stock one way or the other.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
This caught me off guard "[FONT=&quot]Freshman Brian Robinson: [/FONT]4.41" With his size to be that fast is insane!!!! Saquon Barkely runs a 4.38 and scouts love him. Brian is just a freshman. If given the opportunity he could considered a sure thing like Barkley before his career is done. I don't want to see this big fellow transfer. I have loved what I have seen from him in limited snaps. Don't want him to transfer before we get to use his gifts like Kamara did although that worked out well for both parties.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.