Link: UA's Sideline Medical Tent Receives Patent

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
A few years back, the US joined the rest of the world and became a "first to file" country. Previously, we had many suits with inventors having thought of the idea first and made it known in some way. It's not my field - I referred out a copyright case last week - so I don't know if the change has decreased litigation or not. I will guarantee that the patent was filed for before any licensing agreements were entered into. I chuckle when I think that AU will have to license one from our guys, if they haven't already...
I agree.... thing is, I FIRST saw one when we started using one.... then everybody had one.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
That's cause our guys invented it. However, I've never seen any sports idea spread quite so quickly. It just makes so much sense...
So I am far from a lawyer, but curious. What prevents a team, let's say Auburn in this case, from simply making their own rather than purchasing one where some of the funds eventually make it back to the U. of Alabama? All Barn jokes aside, the school does have a fine engineering program and I am certain they could figure out how we did it. I am not talking about them marketing and selling it or anything like it to other programs. Just making one for their own use.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So I am far from a lawyer, but curious. What prevents a team, let's say Auburn in this case, from simply making their own rather than purchasing one where some of the funds eventually make it back to the U. of Alabama? All Barn jokes aside, the school does have a fine engineering program and I am certain they could figure out how we did it. I am not talking about them marketing and selling it or anything like it to other programs. Just making one for their own use.
They would be sued for infringing the patent. (Really, they would never try it.)

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
That's cause our guys invented it. However, I've never seen any sports idea spread quite so quickly. It just makes so much sense...
I'm just curious how it would be considered different than all of the other pop up tents that have existed for many years. What makes this one different from those? Is it only the fact that it is used on the sidelines for a medical tent? If so, how would that be unique enough to require a patent? I'm just curious for those of you who may be able to elaborate.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm just curious how it would be considered different than all of the other pop up tents that have existed for many years. What makes this one different from those? Is it only the fact that it is used on the sidelines for a medical tent? If so, how would that be unique enough to require a patent? I'm just curious for those of you who may be able to elaborate.
The fact that it was used on the sideline alone would not be enough for a patent. It would have to have some unique properties for erection, etc. You can look up the patent online...

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
The fact that it was used on the sideline alone would not be enough for a patent. It would have to have some unique properties for erection, etc. You can look up the patent online...

Wait just a minute there, Earle - are we talking the 'Bama sideline medical tent or the Playboy mansion?...

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Holy cow, the article I just read said that those tents retail for $5,000. What? That is crazy. Those pop up tents can be had for around $50. Now, they may not be called medical tents, but any organization paying that kind of dough for that tent has way too much money to spend. Is this a little like having the government pay $1500 for a standard hammer back in the day? Good for the Bama guys who put this together, and good for them even more if they can get people to spend $5,000 on them. I'm hoping that there is more medical equipment that may accompany the tent.
Also, where would I go to look up the patent online? I tried a search, but I only discovered the article that mentioned the patent.
Edit- I found the patent office and did a search for the SidelinER, which is what the article stated the name was, but the search only returned some random other items.

Last edited:

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
Holy cow, the article I just read said that those tents retail for $5,000. What? That is crazy. Those pop up tents can be had for around $50. Now, they may not be called medical tents, but any organization paying that kind of dough for that tent has way too much money to spend. Is this a little like having the government pay $1500 for a standard hammer back in the day? Good for the Bama guys who put this together, and good for them even more if they can get people to spend $5,000 on them. I'm hoping that there is more medical equipment that may accompany the tent.
Also, where would I go to look up the patent online? I tried a search, but I only discovered the article that mentioned the patent.
I had thought about that when I saw the $5000 price. Any school or org could buy the materials for $100 and build a similar functional piece. That price has to include a specialized table and some other equipment.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy the Alabama guys get the credit and patent for it.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Some minds can pry out the smallest... :D
As used to be said by the Greek proprietor of the Crimson Tide's Huntspatch outpost, Cafe Plaka, Whatever floats your boat! Well, actually he called on another saying via one of the old country's shipping tycoons about "motion in the ocean" that "some minds" won't mention...:eek:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We deal with patents for products at my work. I am sure this is a design patent and I agree that it is probably patented with how it folds up and pulls over the player/staff quickly. I tried finding it at uspto.gov but w/o a patent number it is difficult.

Edit: I found the patent by searching "privacy tent". The patented part is the properties for erection as Earle said. Here is the patent for any interested.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...vacy+tent"&OS="privacy+tent"&RS="privacy+tent"

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
We deal with patents for products at my work. I am sure this is a design patent and I agree that it is probably patented with how it folds up and pulls over the player/staff quickly. I tried finding it at uspto.gov but w/o a patent number it is difficult.

Edit: I found the patent by searching "privacy tent". The patented part is the properties for erection as Earle said. Here is the patent for any interested.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...vacy+tent"&OS="privacy+tent"&RS="privacy+tent"
Thank you for posting.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.