Link: UA's Sideline Medical Tent Receives Patent

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Score one for the nerds. :biggrin2:
And the nerds are going to make the university money now that it is patented with royalties on each unit sold. Many have already started using it but like many good inventions someone will figure out a way to get around the patents and make a knock-off w/o infringing.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
And the nerds are going to make the university money now that it is patented with royalties on each unit sold. Many have already started using it but like many good inventions someone will figure out a way to get around the patents and make a knock-off w/o infringing.
That stinks too for them to get around the patent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think this one will be hard to infringe on. The entire NFL has now licensed it, along with many HS and college teams...

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I liked the fact that the AU fans ridiculed it the first year, saying we were hiding stuff like deadening shots...
C'mon, Earle! You know they were racing through the bureaucratic cow patties down there to perfect their own HyperBARNic Chamber (TM pending at DoctorPoop.com).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Don't know the laws regarding pending patents, but I hope there was protection while the current 70 were being put in use.
A few years back, the US joined the rest of the world and became a "first to file" country. Previously, we had many suits with inventors having thought of the idea first and made it known in some way. It's not my field - I referred out a copyright case last week - so I don't know if the change has decreased litigation or not. I will guarantee that the patent was filed for before any licensing agreements were entered into. I chuckle when I think that AU will have to license one from our guys, if they haven't already...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
A few years back, the US joined the rest of the world and became a "first to file" country. Previously, we had many suits with inventors having thought of the idea first and made it known in some way. It's not my field - I referred out a copyright case last week - so I don't know if the change has decreased litigation or not. I will guarantee that the patent was filed for before any licensing agreements were entered into. I chuckle when I think that AU will have to license one from our guys, if they haven't already...
I'm curious to see how much the licensing will be and how the money is split between the Engineering school and the training staff.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm curious to see how much the licensing will be and how the money is split between the Engineering school and the training staff.
Usually, there's a licensing fee payable to the institution, since the development was done on UA time and resources. The entrepreneurs generally get the bulk of the profits. I haven't looked at the area in some time, but there's also the problem that, if the institution gets into the business of promoting, marketing, manufacturing, etc., then it may be "unrelated business income" to the charity and thus taxable. That's the reason most of the rights to products like these are farmed out...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
C'mon, Earle! You know they were racing through the bureaucratic cow patties down there to perfect their own HyperBARNic Chamber (TM pending at DoctorPoop.com).
Those Barn engineers could create a folding Blue and Orange Training BARN, so they won't have to use what UA patented.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.