SIAP: Mike Shula To Be NY Giants OC

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Mash Here

Glad to hear this for him. Though things didn't work out for him here, I will always remember him as our QB of the 80's and how much I liked his dad as the Dolphins' HC.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Some of you guys are just mean. He is one of our boys, and was instrumental in some really good wins for us back in the day. Not a great HC for us, I agree, but I will always have fond memories of his time as our QB. I wish the coaching thing had worked out here, but also remember he came here at one of our lowest points when almost nobody else wanted the gig.

B

BamaJ

I believe we should respect him as a HC almost as much as any other HC we have had. He came to Bama when no one wanted the job. Our best effort at the time landed us.....Mike Price. Without the P'cola garbage, that dude was never going to win here. Sorry. We were a train wreck and THEN Price got fired. I so appreciate Mike for taking the job and doing a decent job for the situation he was given, and bridging the gap between Franchione and Saban. The man did his best and it wasn't that great as a HC but my goodness. Anyway, off my Shula soapbox now.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Croom wanted the job badly and most of the legacies wanted him to get it. Frankly, I think some in the university worried that if things went sideways due to sanctions that Croom would be harder to fire than the very much white, very much milquetoast man Mike Shula. Saying people didn't want this job is just ignoring what was really going on in April 2003.

If Shula did his best then good for him. I guess we can all go get him an ice cream cone.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Some of you guys are just mean. He is one of our boys, and was instrumental in some really good wins for us back in the day.
This is true. He was also the quarterback of the first losing season we had since 1957 but to be fair, it wasn't HIS fault. That situation had been brewing for some time.

Not a great HC for us, I agree, but I will always have fond memories of his time as our QB.
He had some great wins against Georgia and Auburn in 1985. His fumble also helped lose the Tennessee game (and thus SEC title) in 1985 and his interception against LSU in 1986 was a major contributor to that loss (everyone forgets it because Bobby Humphrey put on a clinic of "how to fumble away touchdowns without really trying."

I wish the coaching thing had worked out here, but also remember he came here at one of our lowest points when almost nobody else wanted the gig.
The three biggest lies in the world are "the check is in the mail," "I'll respect you in the morning," and "Mike Shula took the Alabama job when nobody wanted it." The fourth is, "Bear Bryant started integrating Alabama football after USC blah blah blah."

I don't have anything really against Shula per se, but there is ONE circumstance where I'd welcome him back to T-Town - if the man who eats Little Debbies while watching The Weather Channel decided that he could bring things full circle and named Shula as one of his coaches (key words coming up) because he THINKS Shula could do a splendid job....that's the ONE circumstance I'd support because CNS has played plenty of three-dimensional backgammon and rolled more double 6s than I care to admit.

Let's be clear: Shula is NOT his old teammate Gene Jelks. He's not Dennis Franchione.

But I'd just as soon he try his coaching somewhere else FAR away from us. I won't wish him ill, he was in over his head. But let's stop with the straw man of "just because he wasn't Saban" and "he took the job when nobody else would take it." In the interest of being nice, however, as far as I can tell we didn't have the off the field activities of Dubious, Price, and Kiffin with Shula, so that IS a positive.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Shula may have not had the NCAA issues or infidelity of that group but he didn't really uphold any sort of sensible discipline with that team. Kids were frequently ineligible for the bowl games due to NCAA administered drug tests or grades. When Kines took over for the bowl in 2006, I saw something I'd never seen in my 3 years of working in Reese-Phifer: GTAs showing up to the doors of classes to make sure players were in their scheduled classes.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Some of you guys are just mean. He is one of our boys, and was instrumental in some really good wins for us back in the day. Not a great HC for us, I agree, but I will always have fond memories of his time as our QB. I wish the coaching thing had worked out here, but also remember he came here at one of our lowest points when almost nobody else wanted the gig.
Thank you. LOL

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Shula may have not had the NCAA issues or infidelity of that group but he didn't really uphold any sort of sensible discipline with that team. Kids were frequently ineligible for the bowl games due to NCAA administered drug tests or grades. When Kines took over for the bowl in 2006, I saw something I'd never seen in my 3 years of working in Reese-Phifer: GTAs showing up to the doors of classes to make sure players were in their scheduled classes.
Well, I get that, I was referring to the skirt chasing.

They were thoroughly undisciplined on the field, too. I used to cringe when we were heading full pursuit for a tackle on the sidelines. It seemed like EVERY DAMNED TIME we made a tackle there, it was a late out of bounds hit. I STILL cringe to this day, even though Saban's players are very good at not going there.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Oh yeah definitely, I got where you were going. I just wanted to highlight that Shula was not the ethical trainwreck like his immediate predecessors but he was hardly a leader of young men. Notice how he's never been floated as a head coach in the NFL...a league that loves to retread and give any coordinator with a little bit of success a chance. I don't think any owner/GM in the NFL really thinks of him as a leader either.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
He wasn't college HC material. He was a bad hire at the time and I don't think he would be a good college HC today. He should never have been offered the job in the first place, he was way over his head. I think most here would not be so hard on him if we had not given him the keys to the car in the first place.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.