Obama portrait artist Kehinde Wiley once painted black women decapitating white women

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Look at that headline! It's always good to have the media keeping an eye on things for us - you know - to promote harmony between races....:rolleye2:

With his rendering of President Barack Obama, Kehinde Wiley became the first African American to ever paint an official presidential portrait, but the new-found fame has also drawn attention to some of the artist’s more boundary-pushing past works.

Two paintings from 2012, depicting the Biblical story of Judith beheading the Assyrian general Holofernes, began making the rounds online on Monday. In Wiley’s rendering, Judith is depicted as a black woman and Holofernes as a white woman.
Fans of the Obama portrait will recognize Wiley’s distinct colors and prominent use of flora and fauna backgrounds.

LINK

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Obama Portrait Painter's Odd Prior Works

Kehinde Wiley has painted some weird things in the past.

And this was not a weird one-off.

I'm not sure how these paintings can be taken as anything but an incitement to racial violence.
The guy has a right to make his "art" (such as it is), but what are we to make of an ex-president who selects such an artist for his official portrait?
I'm sure the "guilty by association" crowd will be along shortly to explain that the Obama's selecting this painter after he had painted these paintings was not an approval of those works or the message behind them. In the absence of an overt statement by the ex-president that he selected the artist specifically because of the painter's vile earlier works, such disassociation is probably okay, but one wonders why such automatic disassociation does not apply to others on other topics.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
i put this in the category of so what.

and what do you consider disharmony
It's the inconsistency that the mainstream media use in looking at racial matters.

If George Bush had his and Laura's portraits painted by someone who had previously used art to glorify violence against blacks -- just for discussion purposes, let's say lynchings -- I don't think anybody outside of the KKK or similar groups would be saying, "Meh...So what?"

$100 says there would already be protesters 10-deep at their home.

As it is, it's the Obamas, they and the artist are black, and the victim is white....Meh...So what?

Really?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It's the inconsistency that the mainstream media use in looking at racial matters.

If George Bush had his and Laura's portraits painted by someone who had previously used art to glorify violence against blacks -- just for discussion purposes, let's say lynchings -- I don't think anybody outside of the KKK or similar groups would be saying, "Meh...So what?"

As it is, it's the Obamas, they and the artist are black, and the victim is white....Meh...So what?

Really?
the most telling thing about this is the folks that are getting up in arms about it.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Interesting --

First of all -- raid an old wallpaper store and paint pictures on them -- interesting....

Have them killing white women --

Interesting....

Not hearing the Obama's condemn such artwork?

Priceless

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
the most telling thing about this is the folks that are getting up in arms about it.
Not sure who is "getting up in arms about it"

My position is: clearly we have a mixture of cultures in our country and I welcome and respect that there are these differences - many of them manifesting itself in the arts.

But why is it....the media has a headline like the one I quoted? Which "seems" to be stirring the pot?

If you wrote a story about the artist 92....what would be the headline for your story?

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Really?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Not sure who is "getting up in arms about it"

My position is: clearly we have a mixture of cultures in our country and I welcome and respect that there are these differences - many of them manifesting itself in the arts.

But why is it....the media has a headline like the one I quoted? Which "seems" to be stirring the pot?

If you wrote a story about the artist 92....what would be the headline for your story?
well, there are currently two threads talking about it with a lot of very concerned people worried that those blacks are promoting racial disharmony and promoting racial violence. i have no idea where your article came from since there was no link, so i have no idea why "the media" would have a headline like this.

eta: it looks like this link came from aol. your question pretty much answers itself. :)

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Look at that headline! It's always good to have the media keeping an eye on things for us - you know - to promote harmony between races....:rolleye2:

LINK
The first one looks like Brandy and the head of Lisa Loeb
The bottom one looks like Aretha Franklin and the head of Celine Dion (from the 90s)

maybe it's not a racist picture after all -- she just hates Sugary Pop Music

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
well, there are currently two threads talking about it with a lot of very concerned people worried that those blacks are promoting racial disharmony and promoting racial violence. i have no idea where your article came from since there was no link, so i have no idea why "the media" would have a headline like this.

eta: it looks like this link came from aol. your question pretty much answers itself. :)
I provided a link just under the last image.

Are you saying some media is good.....and some media is bad?

Say it isn't so, Joe! :D

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Cries of hypocrisy fall flat when the evidence of said hypocrisy is hypothetical.

"What if the Bushes had a KKK artist do their portrait? The left would be up in arms"

How about finding a real example of something like this, then we can talk about hypocritical responses.

It shouldn't be too hard if the media is hypocritical (and I believe they are to some extent)

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Cries of hypocrisy fall flat when the evidence of said hypocrisy is hypothetical.

"What if the Bushes had a KKK artist do their portrait? The left would be up in arms"

How about finding a real example of something like this, then we can talk about hypocritical responses.

It shouldn't be too hard if the media is hypocritical (and I believe they are to some extent)

Are you being hypothetically hypocritical? Or hypocritically hypothetical? I'm thinking the latter.....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.