US airstrike kills Russians in Syria

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Sad. Private Military Companies are actually illegal in Russia, but since their existence supports Vladimir Vladimirovich's policy objectives, authorities turn a blind eye. Truth be told, I would not be surprised if the money comes (via a circuitous route) from Russian government coffers.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
good thing we have a competent state department to help smooth over things like this

from reading the article, it sounds like these were russian nationals fighting under al-assad's command. that sort of goes in the play stupid games category imho.
It's been "competent" for at least 20 years.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I'm still trying to figure out why any US military action is occurring in Syria.
I had understood that we were attacking ISIS fighters there. No information to say what priority of a target exist there. Needless to say it is an incredibly muddled mess with Turkey now engaged on the border against the Kurds on top of the Russians, Assad forces, Syrian rebels and the US military.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I had understood that we were attacking ISIS fighters there. No information to say what priority of a target exist there. Needless to say it is an incredibly muddled mess with Turkey now engaged on the border against the Kurds on top of the Russians, Assad forces, Syrian rebels and the US military.
Oh boy this is going to be fun!

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Ralph Peters' take.
Putin had to approve Russian attack on US troops
For the record, I've met Ralph Peters and Ralph Peters is the president of the Ralph Peter's Fan Club.
This has the potential to cause a bad sequence of events.

(Obviously the bad sequence of events is not that Ralph Peters is the president of the Ralph Peters Fan Club, but Americans killing Russians in Syria and Russians trying to kill Americans in Syria)

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Guess you shouldn't bring AK's to an artillery fight. Sounds like an AC-130 messed them up pretty good.
... as AC-130s have a habit of doing. Their motto is, "Don't run. You'll only die tired."

The Russian media angle now is that Putin is going to accept the German offer of a UN peacekeeping mission in Donbass, and these Russian mercs in Syria were Donbass refuseniks, so the Kremlin sent them into an ambush and let the Americans do the dirty work of ridding the world of them. Ivan loves him a conspiracy theory.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
... as AC-130s have a habit of doing. Their motto is, "Don't run. You'll only die tired."

The Russian media angle now is that Putin is going to accept the German offer of a UN peacekeeping mission in Donbass, and these Russian mercs in Syria were Donbass refuseniks, so the Kremlin sent them into an ambush and let the Americans do the dirty work of ridding the world of them. Ivan loves him a conspiracy theory.
You think Putin isn't capable of it? :D

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
You think Putin isn't capable of it? :D
Here's the thing. Private Military Companies are illegal in Russia, but I bet Putin knows who was in that column that got whacked. So, it is possible that Putin actually wanted these guys dead.
More likely, they were just probing the perimeter (in a deniable manner) and hoping to get oil revenues if it worked.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.