Notre Dame vacates (not forfeits) 21 wins

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: Notre Dame forfeits 21 wins

Ok, I have a question for you all on this.

Had ND actually won the 2012 Championship game and this decision subsequently remained the same, how would you feel about it, would you now consider Alabama to have been National champions that year or that there was no National Champion for 2012?
I wouldn't claim it (nor would Bama), as the title of the thread is slightly misleading - ND isn't forfeiting games, they're vacating wins. forfeit changes the W/L record of both teams, vacating means the W is removed from ND, but it remains an L for everyone that beat.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I wouldn't claim it (nor would Bama), as the title of the thread is slightly misleading - ND isn't forfeiting games, they're vacating wins. forfeit changes the W/L record of both teams, vacating means the W is removed from ND, but it remains an L for everyone that beat.
Which is why its a ridiculous punishment.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I'm no ND fan but, this is nuts and just another example of why the NCAA needs to be destroyed. Schools that try and do the right thing get hammered but, schools that lawyer up (AU), lie (Ole Miss) and cover up (UNC), get nothing or a slap on the wrist. UNC blatantly commits academic fraud since the mid 90's and the NCAA did nothing. Plus their continued refusal to punish athletic departments that protect sexual criminals is disgusting. Yes, it is a legal matter but, it is also an athletics matter as well when coaches and administrators protect athletes for wins. I'm sick of the NCAA and want it destroyed and maybe ND can make enough stink to get that ball rolling!
Which only goes to show there is absolutely NO BENEFIT to cooperating with the NCAA in cases such as these. UNC stonewalled the NCAA at every turn and then "thumbed their nose" at the NCAA and wlked away free and clear.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Which only goes to show there is absolutely NO BENEFIT to cooperating with the NCAA in cases such as these. UNC stonewalled the NCAA at every turn and then "thumbed their nose" at the NCAA and wlked away free and clear.
UNC is the new model for academic issues -- "...it's our school and we can do what we want. Period."

If the NCAA had any credibility, it is completely gone...kaput. EOS. Turn out the lights, the party's over. If I were ND I would count the victories anyway -- who cares???

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

Link

What Jenkins didn't have to say out loud is, if the NCAA doesn't clean up its arbitrary decisions on such issues, Notre Dame has options. The NCAA needs the Irish more than they need the NCAA.
Wait. Do they really? I mean sure, if a lot of blue blood programs departed, it would cripple the NCAA. But Notre Dame alone? Take your ball and go home. See how many people miss you in 3 years. All that said, I do agree with their statement that the NCAA decisions are inconsistent at best, and the seem to often botch more than they get right. I just disagree with the assertion that Notre Dame, or any team on it own, is all that important in the greater scheme of things.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there

Link

Wait. Do they really? I mean sure, if a lot of blue blood programs departed, it would cripple the NCAA. But Notre Dame alone? Take your ball and go home. See how many people miss you in 3 years. All that said, I do agree with their statement that the NCAA decisions are inconsistent at best, and the seem to often botch more than they get right. I just disagree with the assertion that Notre Dame, or any team on it own, is all that important in the greater scheme of things.
Don't tell Notre Dame that, they already consider themselves " The Great Independent"

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I believe that there would be no national champion that year.

The "behind the curtain" answer is that, if there was a chance that the team playing for the national championship was going to be credibly accused of cheating that might result in the championship being vacated, the NCAA would close ranks, declare unequivocally and peremptorily that the obvious cheating did not, in fact, happen, and clear the cheating team of any wrong-doing.
That was Auburn's/Cam Newton's gift to the ethical environment surrounding the NCAA. They have forever damaged the reputation of the NCAA and the NCAA went along with it.
Bingo!

Mike Slive deserves some credit here...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
How would that work on an accountant's balance sheet? Journal Entry?

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017

Can ucf claim another nc then?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Why not, I say yes. That would give them two, which is MORE THAN Ohio Slate in the last 6 years!!!

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Ok, I have a question for you all on this.

Had ND actually won the 2012 Championship game and this decision subsequently remained the same, how would you feel about it, would you now consider Alabama to have been National champions that year or that there was no National Champion for 2012?
There would be no national champion.

Funnily enough that happened at Auburn with predictable results.

USC had to vacate their 2004 national title. Hence, some of the Auburn clan tried to claim it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.