News Article: Birmingham Becomes Key Recruiting Battleground for Alabama and Auburn, Class of 2019

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Maybe it's nothing, but Alabama hasn't signed a single Birmingham area football player since 2016.

When the Crimson Tide opens the 2018 season, the roster will feature just one scholarship player from the Magic City - defensive lineman and Wenonah product Quinnen Williams

Auburn, meanwhile, has signed six prospects from the Magic City during the same span, including Hoover's Shedrick Jackson, Jackson-Olin's Coynis Miller and Mountain Brook's Harold Joiner in the Class of 2018.

Does that mean Auburn has a developed a recruiting edge of Alabama in the state's largest metro area?

Probably not. Birmingham appears to be a battleground in the Class of 2019, with eight of the state's top 11 2019 prospects, according to 247sports, playing at high schools in metro Birmingham.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Birmingham Becomes Key Recruiting Battleground for Alabama and Auburn in Class of

From a passive HS football follower's perspective, football in B-ham area seems to have been on an uptick lately. Makes sense that it would be a recruiting hotbed now.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Re: Birmingham Becomes Key Recruiting Battleground for Alabama and Auburn in Class of

From a passive HS football follower's perspective, football in B-ham area seems to have been on an uptick lately. Makes sense that it would be a recruiting hotbed now.
I totally agree. Bham inner city schools have not been very good or put out D1 talent but in the last 2-3 years that has changed. I don't really know why. The non inner city Bham schools have been pretty consistent putting out talent.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there

I totally agree. Bham inner city schools have not been very good or put out D1 talent but in the last 2-3 years that has changed. I don't really know why. The non inner city Bham schools have been pretty consistent putting out talent.
I was talking to a former assistant coach at Spain Park( random encounter here), We kind of talked about the emergence of the Birmingham schools. He said the dominating run of Hoover really forced alot of schools to step up. It kind of produced or lit a fire in the schools and kids. It's certainly made for some very competitive games and rivalries in those areas. I only wished I was closer so I could see a lot of them.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

I was talking to a former assistant coach at Spain Park( random encounter here), We kind of talked about the emergence of the Birmingham schools. He said the dominating run of Hoover really forced alot of schools to step up. It kind of produced or lit a fire in the schools and kids. It's certainly made for some very competitive games and rivalries in those areas. I only wished I was closer so I could see a lot of them.
So is that a result of other high schools recruiting like Hoover or better development of players...?

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there

So is that a result of other high schools recruiting like Hoover or better development of players...?
I'm assuming he was talking about dedication and desire to compete...I think that probably increased booster output as well . Hoover's facilities when they first went on their run were quite the establishment and increased as they succeeded. Alot of kids would cross school boundaries so to speak to go to competing schools as well once Hoover's program got so big. Spain Park is a good example, but just a little bit of success does wonders for not only a particular school, but it can waterfall in the surrounding areas. Same thing has happened in my neck of the woods with a few schools that have seen a resurgence. So I'd say....player development and recruiting could probably be seen hand in hand, although high school recruiting can become a "touchy" thing . However, all in all ....this coaches info seemed to be aimed more at areas of dedication inside and out . I would have loved to have had some more time to shoot the breeze with him, but standing in line at a Wendy's only leaves you so much:)

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I'm guessing the Class of 201 -- they were running more of a "wildcat" type offense?

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

I have always been in the understanding that you can look at a college teams roster and take note that the weaker teams usually will have mostly local talent.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.