News Article: Birmingham Becomes Key Recruiting Battleground for Alabama and Auburn, Class of 2019

Birmingham Becomes Key Recruiting Battleground for Alabama and Auburn, Class of 2019

Link

Maybe it's nothing, but Alabama hasn't signed a single Birmingham area football player since 2016.

When the Crimson Tide opens the 2018 season, the roster will feature just one scholarship player from the Magic City - defensive lineman and Wenonah product Quinnen Williams

Auburn, meanwhile, has signed six prospects from the Magic City during the same span, including Hoover's Shedrick Jackson, Jackson-Olin's Coynis Miller and Mountain Brook's Harold Joiner in the Class of 2018.

Does that mean Auburn has a developed a recruiting edge of Alabama in the state's largest metro area?

Probably not. Birmingham appears to be a battleground in the Class of 2019, with eight of the state's top 11 2019 prospects, according to 247sports, playing at high schools in metro Birmingham.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Birmingham Becomes Key Recruiting Battleground for Alabama and Auburn in Class of

From a passive HS football follower's perspective, football in B-ham area seems to have been on an uptick lately. Makes sense that it would be a recruiting hotbed now.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Re: Birmingham Becomes Key Recruiting Battleground for Alabama and Auburn in Class of

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    From a passive HS football follower's perspective, football in B-ham area seems to have been on an uptick lately. Makes sense that it would be a recruiting hotbed now.
    I totally agree. Bham inner city schools have not been very good or put out D1 talent but in the last 2-3 years that has changed. I don't really know why. The non inner city Bham schools have been pretty consistent putting out talent.

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    I totally agree. Bham inner city schools have not been very good or put out D1 talent but in the last 2-3 years that has changed. I don't really know why. The non inner city Bham schools have been pretty consistent putting out talent.
    I was talking to a former assistant coach at Spain Park( random encounter here), We kind of talked about the emergence of the Birmingham schools. He said the dominating run of Hoover really forced alot of schools to step up. It kind of produced or lit a fire in the schools and kids. It's certainly made for some very competitive games and rivalries in those areas. I only wished I was closer so I could see a lot of them.
    "I could tell they really didn't want to play against us any longer." - Alabama defensive end Jesse Williams

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by JTBama View Post
    I was talking to a former assistant coach at Spain Park( random encounter here), We kind of talked about the emergence of the Birmingham schools. He said the dominating run of Hoover really forced alot of schools to step up. It kind of produced or lit a fire in the schools and kids. It's certainly made for some very competitive games and rivalries in those areas. I only wished I was closer so I could see a lot of them.
    So is that a result of other high schools recruiting like Hoover or better development of players...?

Quote Originally Posted by NoNC4Tubs View Post
    So is that a result of other high schools recruiting like Hoover or better development of players...?
    I'm assuming he was talking about dedication and desire to compete...I think that probably increased booster output as well . Hoover's facilities when they first went on their run were quite the establishment and increased as they succeeded. Alot of kids would cross school boundaries so to speak to go to competing schools as well once Hoover's program got so big. Spain Park is a good example, but just a little bit of success does wonders for not only a particular school, but it can waterfall in the surrounding areas. Same thing has happened in my neck of the woods with a few schools that have seen a resurgence. So I'd say....player development and recruiting could probably be seen hand in hand, although high school recruiting can become a "touchy" thing . However, all in all ....this coaches info seemed to be aimed more at areas of dedication inside and out . I would have loved to have had some more time to shoot the breeze with him, but standing in line at a Wendy's only leaves you so much:-)
    "I could tell they really didn't want to play against us any longer." - Alabama defensive end Jesse Williams

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

I'm guessing the Class of 201 -- they were running more of a "wildcat" type offense?
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    I'm guessing the Class of 201 -- they were running more of a "wildcat" type offense?
    Here's a picture of the I-formation back then. Clearly before integration.

Quote Originally Posted by LA4Bama View Post
    Here's a picture of the I-formation back then. Clearly before integration.
    So all their horsepower was up front..... Makes sense

BamaNation All-American

I have always been in the understanding that you can look at a college teams roster and take note that the weaker teams usually will have mostly local talent.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

BamaNation All-American

Re: Birmingham Becomes Key Recruiting Battleground for Alabama and Auburn, Class of 2

Quote Originally Posted by JTBama View Post
    So all their horsepower was up front..... Makes sense
    Is that the "Four Horsemen"...?

Re: Birmingham Becomes Key Recruiting Battleground for Alabama and Auburn, Class of 2

Quote Originally Posted by NoNC4Tubs View Post
    Is that the "Four Horsemen"...?
    I don't know but their qb sure had some wheels