College Football Attendance drops for fourth consecutive year.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
I can buy tickets at face value through work and it's still too expensive for me. I'd love to attend them all one year, home and away but may have to wait till I can crack open my 401k.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Every game is televised in HD now.

I still tend to hit one game per year for the experience, but it's hard to beat being comfortable at home, multiple camera angles, a DVR to pause to use the restroom, food and beverage of my choice, and the fact that it doesn't have to take the entire day...

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
It has been a long time since I attended a game. I have moved around a bit, but never close enough to make a trip to Tuscaloosa an easy trip for me. Add to that the fact that, while the game atmosphere can truly be exciting, I just prefer my seat, my food, being able to use the restroom without missing a play, getting all the replays from all the angles, being in air conditioning (or heating, if needed), etc. I will certainly find myself at another game when the opportunity arises, but I like watching at home much better.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
This discussion has been hashed over here before. If I lived within 2 hours of Tuscaloosa I would be at ever game I could, and no I'm not rich by any means. A friend of mine and I travel from North Carolina to one game per year in Tuscaloosa and Atlanta almost every time. That's just us...we love the atmosphere and taking in the entire experience.
We have been very lucky on tickets over the years and have not spent that much, however the thing that may break this up is the cost of the hotels for home games and especially conference home games. We have been staying at the Day's Inn next to Wal-Mart for a very reasonable cost for years until last year. Now they have fallen in line with every other decent hotel and jacked the prices to a ridiculous price. That more than anything else may affect our future plans.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i gave up on going to games in t-town long ago. i will try to go to a game if it is in atlanta and the price isn't too bad. but i've gotten to where i find going to the actual games tedious. the crowds, the down time for commercials, the ridiculous concession prices, etc. are way too much. also, after attending the semi game year before last (against u dub) i have gotten to where i can't stand how whiny our fanbase is.

i stick to watching games at home, and honestly, that is getting to be a p.i.t.a. since the games are so long with so many commercial breaks. i was up past 1 am a few times this year watching our games.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
We have season tickets and only go to the big games. It's a hassle to get there and get out. Too many late games. 9PM EST games are rough when you can't get a hotel. The in stadium experience sucks. There are a million commercial breaks. They still haven't fixed ATT reception issues. The ticker boards are an hour behind on all the other scores. God forbid they give up advertising on 50' of ribbon board and make someone be in charge of updating it continuously.

Sometimes it is just better to sit at home and watch in HD so you can catch football from noon until the late west coast game is over.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I don't think Bama's attendance was off by much. Maybe around 100 per game. Probably has a lot to do with how competitive teams are. UK's attendance was up after having a decent season for them. Same for USCe. Ole Miss and UT way down.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've tapered off severely, owing to the reasons set out above. Also, in my case, advancing age has played a part and I'm in far better shape than 95% of people my age. It just seems that it gets harder and harder and the stadium expansions are a part of that. The cost isn't that material to me but, looking around at games, it seems to me sometimes that a lot of people are attending who probably can't really afford it. I appreciate their loyalty, though...

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I've tapered off severely, owing to the reasons set out above. Also, in my case, advancing age has played a part and I'm in far better shape than 95% of people my age. It just seems that it gets harder and harder and the stadium expansions are a part of that. The cost isn't that material to me but, looking around at games, it seems to me sometimes that a lot of people are attending who probably can't really afford it. I appreciate their loyalty, though...
Shoot, you’re in better shape that many men my age!

Cost, big screen TV, and convenience I believe are the biggest reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
We have season tickets and only go to the big games. It's a hassle to get there and get out. Too many late games. 9PM EST games are rough when you can't get a hotel. The in stadium experience sucks. There are a million commercial breaks. They still haven't fixed ATT reception issues. The ticker boards are an hour behind on all the other scores. God forbid they give up advertising on 50' of ribbon board and make someone be in charge of updating it continuously.

Sometimes it is just better to sit at home and watch in HD so you can catch football from noon until the late west coast game is over.
I love going to the games. I quit because I hate driving home at 1 AM. The cost is high, but the time element is the deciding factor for me.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I love going to the games. I quit because I hate driving home at 1 AM. The cost is high, but the time element is the deciding factor for me.
If it's a 3:30 EST game or earlier, it's no big deal. The Ole Miss game last season was ridiculous.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
It seemed to me like the University had more trouble selling those single-game tickets for the cupcake games this year than in the past. Seemed like they were doing more promotional packages and email blasts and such to try to move them than in the past. Upper corners of the endzones at $85 a ticket to see the starters maybe play the first half against a cupcake does make the recliner and HDTV look appealing.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Interesting to me that the "other national champs" were not one of the teams noted for an increase in attendance, yet Purdue, FAU, Akron, New Mexico, and Penn State were. You'd think by all the band wagon jumping they had that their increase would be quite noteworthy.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The 25,000- 40,000 car traffic jam is enough to deter me. Although A-Day is free and has a somewhat game day atmosphere the wife and decided to stay at home only because of that traffic jam.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.