Somewhat of an Update on the NCAA Transfer Proposals

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

The group in charge of studying the issue and recommending a solution for the entire membership, the Division I Transfer Working Group, spent two days this week huddling at NCAA headquarters in Indianapolis and announced afterward that a transfer free-for-all is not and has never been on the table. From the NCAA’s release:

The working group is not considering — and never entertained — a model that would allow all student-athletes to transfer and compete immediately. Member schools noted that such a rule change would not lead to more student-athletes achieving academic success and graduating.[/COLOR]

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
But transferring after a change in coaching staff is still there, right? Wasn't that where this started? I think it's a slippery slope I would rather not start down, but I do understand the other side of the argument as well. It may not be a free for all yet, but once they allow this, then they will come up with another exception to start allowing for, and so on until it pretty much is exactly what we don't want.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Some exceptions now under consideration include:

* Allow students who meet specific, high-achieving academic benchmarks to play immediately after the first time they transfer during their college experience.
* Allow prospective student-athletes who have signed a National Letter of Intent to transfer and play immediately if a head coach leaves the school of the student’s choice, as well as under other exceptions already in the rulebook. Because the Collegiate Commissioners Association manages the NLI, this idea would be referred to the CCA for consideration.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
So it sounds like what they're considering is far more limited yet completely different than what was reported.

1) "specific, high-achieving" academic benchmarks for immediate eligibility only for the first time they transfer is pretty nebulous but I imagine it will probably be Dean's List type GPA. If they want to discourage free agency, a truly high mark GPA is the only way to do it. If they're going for 3.0 then most will be able to transfer with ease.

2) This basically fixes the problem created by the early signing period where players can sign to a school then the head coach takes a job elsewhere after the post-season. This is well short of the "open season" transfer model floated. Heck, it involves players who are only signed and not even on campus.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So it sounds like what they're considering is far more limited yet completely different than what was reported.

1) "specific, high-achieving" academic benchmarks for immediate eligibility only for the first time they transfer is pretty nebulous but I imagine it will probably be Dean's List type GPA. If they want to discourage free agency, a truly high mark GPA is the only way to do it. If they're going for 3.0 then most will be able to transfer with ease.

2) This basically fixes the problem created by the early signing period where players can sign to a school then the head coach takes a job elsewhere after the post-season. This is well short of the "open season" transfer model floated. Heck, it involves players who are only signed and not even on campus.
There's no way with a reasonable result which totally protects the players from risk...

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

On 2), I wouldn't say it fixes the problem so much as it is the reductio ad absurdum of the early signing period.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

I don't know. The wording says those who have signed a letter of intent. Haven't our scholarship juniors signed LOI's also? It needs to be worded differently.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't know. The wording says those who have signed a letter of intent. Haven't our scholarship juniors signed LOI's also? It needs to be worded differently.
The word preceding is pretty key here:

Allow prospective student-athletes who have signed a National Letter of Intent to transfer and play immediately if a head coach leaves the school of the student’s choice, as well as under other exceptions already in the rulebook. Because the Collegiate Commissioners Association manages the NLI, this idea would be referred to the CCA for consideration.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
The "specific, high-achieving academic benchmarks for immediate eligibility" would encourage and motivate the guys, or at least some of them, to apply themselves to their studies, so that seems reasonable. And yeah, it would be "worded differently". A minimum grade point average would be nearly certain.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
Transfer rules should be kept tough and punitive. The loosening of the transfer rules inhibits the coaches ability to effectively mold and, if necessary, discipline players. We're seeing that today in basketball. Rather than apply themselves and get with the program/process they just transfer out.

If they want to do something that's good for the game put some teeth in the coach's contract.

Can we just get rid of the early signing period. That seems like a failed experiment. Alternatively just have an open signing period from 1 August through the end of February. No more non-binding commitments...when you're ready to commit you go ahead and sign.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
At the same time, the student-athlete is not just the university's property. Sure they have signed contracts with the university but I don't think this is a matter of national defense/security like an enlistment contract. There ought to be some reasonable, fair, but limited ways for student-athletes to transfer without losing a year of eligibility in the process.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
The "specific, high-achieving academic benchmarks for immediate eligibility" would encourage and motivate the guys, or at least some of them, to apply themselves to their studies, so that seems reasonable. And yeah, it would be "worded differently". A minimum grade point average would be nearly certain.
I dislike the idea of an academic benchmark to transfer. Nobody really thinks most transfers have something to do with academics. It is unfair in several ways. Using GPA would be harder to transfer from a good school that does not have grade inflation. It would benefit the smarter kids, when being smarter is irrelevant to this need. Whatever rule they come up with should be universally applicable and accessible without irrelevant and arbitrary benchmarks.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

DI Committee on Academics considers transfer rule changes

The Division I Committee on Academics will recommend to the Transfer Working Group that four-year transfer student-athletes who meet specific grade-point average and progress-toward-degree requirements be able to compete immediately at the second school.

The academic data reviewed by the committee indicated that, on average, sitting out a year of competition following a transfer may not be academically necessary for student-athletes with a strong scholastic foundation. As a result, the committee will recommend benchmarks that align with successful academic progress after transfer.

Committee members agreed those benchmarks should include a GPA between 3.0 and 3.3 and a requirement that students be academically eligible for competition at the time of transfer, based on their progress toward earning a degree within five years of initial enrollment.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I dislike the idea of an academic benchmark to transfer. Nobody really thinks most transfers have something to do with academics. It is unfair in several ways. Using GPA would be harder to transfer from a good school that does not have grade inflation. It would benefit the smarter kids, when being smarter is irrelevant to this need. Whatever rule they come up with should be universally applicable and accessible without irrelevant and arbitrary benchmarks.
Well, the academic benchmark rule is here to stay because it is politically correct. My thinking is this makes it harder on the cheaters who "give out" good grades and cover ups. They don't want to give their student athletes too good of gradesor they might lose them.

So ..... an incoming freshman can transfer if the HC leaves but the redshirt freshman has to stay the course. This is fair? :confused:

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.