(2018 thread) Active Shooter - Stoneman Douglas High School (near Coral Springs, FL)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I suppose there are "some" cats that are useless......but not mine. Maybe (like human children) their personality and work ethic are somewhat a byproduct of their upbringing?

I know the meme was just supposed to be an attempt at humor - but thoughts and prayers, while obviously not changing the events of what happened or what could happen next time, they do provide some comfort so I wouldn't say they are 'useless'.
maybe, but comfort for whom.

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
it would have likely resulted in more deaths/injuries and a lot of confusion when law enforcement arrived.
I imagine that emotional teenagers stealing their teachers' weapons would cause more violence than this educator militia would ever prevent.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
The question can be asked what if the teachers were armed as well? Could an armed teacher or teachers have prevented more loss of life?
As a Brit I read but try to avoid actually commenting on these threads but as Americans don't you owe it to all the future generations of your own to come up with a better solution than 'more guns only in the right hands'?

An outsiders view I admit but Plan A clearly isn't working.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
You take the influence and presence of God out of the school, the home, the community, and this is what you get.
seems like if that were the case all of the much more secular countries around the world would have many more mass shootings than we do.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
My granddaughter is in the 9th grade with her whole life ahead of her. I called her tonight to tell her I love her. You never know about tomorrow and I can't even begin to think what the families of all these kids are going through.
My youngest is a sophomore. As we sat down at the kitchen table last night to review chemistry, we talked about the shooting a little bit, and like you, I just told my son I loved him.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
As a Brit I read but try to avoid actually commenting on these threads but as Americans don't you owe it to all the future generations of your own to come up with a better solution than 'more guns only in the right hands'?

An outsiders view I admit but Plan A clearly isn't working.
What I owe to future generations is preservation of the freedoms I hold most dear. There is a cost to freedom, and sometimes that cost is high.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
What I owe to future generations is preservation of the freedoms I hold most dear. There is a cost to freedom, and sometimes that cost is high.
Its a noble sentiment only when you're prepared to pay that cost yourself, when you expect others to pay it for you it becomes sonething else.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Ah yes, the tree of liberty must occasionally be watered with the blood of children.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
a lot of families paid that price yesterday. and there are another 17 who won't be around to enjoy that future.
I'm still baffled how they young man was able to buy the weapon at age 19. Considering the frontal lobe that controls "reason" or "logic" doesn't fully develop in men until 24/25 yrs of age in many cases, do we need to reconsider the sale of such weapons beyond a certain age? I'm just throwing that out there for discussion. Isn't ironic that many rental car companies won't rent cars to men below age 25? I'm guessing for similar reasons.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I'll part ways with you on this one. Fighting a tyrannical government or invading force is one thing, this...nah, bruh. There's no sense in this. There's no reason a 19 yr old needs an AR unless he's in the military.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I'm still baffled how they young man was able to buy the weapon at age 19. Considering the frontal lobe that controls "reason" or "logic" doesn't fully develop in men until 24/25 yrs of age in many cases, do we need to reconsider the sale of such weapons beyond a certain age? I'm just throwing that out there for discussion. Isn't ironic that many rental car companies won't rent cars to men below age 25? I'm guessing for similar reasons.

Trump Signs Bill Revoking Obama-Era Gun Checks for People With Mental Illnesses

President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law Tuesday rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun.

President Barack Obama recommended the now-nullified regulation in a 2013 memo following the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, which left 20 first graders and six others dead. The measure sought to block some people with severe mental health problems from buying guns.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
This is thrown out there all the time, but the law was a bad one, and there are already laws in place prohibiting firearms sales to those considered mentally ill: https://www.snopes.com/congress-gun-legal-mental/

THIS is the perfect example as to how you get gun-owners to dig their heals in and fight any change whatsoever - this article completely glosses over why many (not just gun advocates) thought this law was bad, and the headline is about as misleading as it can get.

My point remains - if people want to have a real discussion about this, they need to drop the rhetoric and educate themselves.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.