(2018 thread) Active Shooter - Stoneman Douglas High School (near Coral Springs, FL)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree with you. I also agree that the extreme violence of video games and all sorts of media distorts reality to some who may be more vulnerable socially. Our society is coming apart and many retiring baby boomers find it difficult to envision a future for their children and grandchildren and in turn they often find it difficult to envision a future for themselves.

I live in the relatively affluent Huntsville area and I see many young couples having multiple children. Yet I find it difficult with my experience to understand how they could justify bringing children into such an uncertain, dangerous environment

This does point to a very wide chasm between the educated affluent and the poor in our society where life is often totally dangerously chaotic. This is another obvious factor involved in the violence.
I know this isn't the cartoon thread, but:

Attachments

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
So what has changed? Guns were much more prevalent years before. I remember seeing shotguns and rifles in pickups on campus as well. More laws are just a bandaid on a skin cancer. Until we remove the real reason, nothing will change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So what has changed? Guns were much more prevalent years before. I remember seeing shotguns and rifles in pickups on campus as well. More laws are just a bandaid on a skin cancer. Until we remove the real reason, nothing will change.

As I've said in the other thread, the major difference is that long guns, particularly shotguns, were common then. Handguns, not so much...

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
All 17 families should file a lawsuit against the FBI and those found responsible for blowing this off should spend the rest of their days behind bars.
Consider the implications of this.

If what you are saying were an actual remedy, the FBI would never have said that they been contacted about this guy at all. Obfuscation and destroying evidence of said notification would be the norm. If found out, they would find someone to scapegoat, and replace that person with a new person who probably wouldn't do any better. This isn't what I want the FBI to be doing. Assuming good faith, simply doing a bad job isn't something you hand out life sentences for.

It's all too easy to second guess the job someone is doing when not in possession of all the facts and context. Eventually you run out of people willing to do a job if the penalty for failure is that extreme.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
You know, you are right. It just totally ticks me off that people have jobs of high responsibility and they are flippant about it instead of taking their job seriously. I have family that are in the medical field and have taken call, where they have a specified amount of time to arrive after being paged. They get there at the absolute last minute and it really bothers me because someone’s life could be on the line. In this case, 17 people lost their lives and 17 families have irreparable damage and a community is forever changed because someone “didn’t do their job”. A simple termination is just unacceptable.
Consider the implications of this.

If what you are saying were an actual remedy, the FBI would never have said that they been contacted about this guy at all. Obfuscation and destroying evidence of said notification would be the norm. If found out, they would find someone to scapegoat, and replace that person with a new person who probably wouldn't do any better. This isn't what I want the FBI to be doing. Assuming good faith, simply doing a bad job isn't something you hand out life sentences for.

It's all too easy to second guess the job someone is doing when not in possession of all the facts and context. Eventually you run out of people willing to do a job if the penalty for failure is that extreme.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
You know, you are right. It just totally ticks me off that people have jobs of high responsibility and they are flippant about it instead of taking their job seriously. I have family that are in the medical field and have taken call, where they have a specified amount of time to arrive after being paged. They get there at the absolute last minute and it really bothers me because someone’s life could be on the line. In this case, 17 people lost their lives and 17 families have irreparable damage and a community is forever changed because someone “didn’t do their job”. A simple termination is just unacceptable.
I have no particular insight into the FBI's caseload or workflow, but I do have an imagination.
I have a hard time believing that someone viewed these reports, shrugged "who cares" and ignored it.
I have an easier time believing that these reports were noted, assigned a priority and assembled into a database or document, and the highest priority reports given the most attention.
Should this have been given higher priority? Maybe. Probably. It's easy to say that in retrospect.
I expect we will know more at some point about how this actually did happen, but I don't feel entitled to details.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have no particular insight into the FBI's caseload or workflow, but I do have an imagination.
I have a hard time believing that someone viewed these reports, shrugged "who cares" and ignored it.
I have an easier time believing that these reports were noted, assigned a priority and assembled into a database or document, and the highest priority reports given the most attention.
Should this have been given higher priority? Maybe. Probably. It's easy to say that in retrospect.
I expect we will know more at some point about how this actually did happen, but I don't feel entitled to details.
I actually do feel that the public is entitled to the details of what went wrong. Transparency matters...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This report might explain it a bit.

https://twitter.com/cbsnews/status/964645515651624961

If that be the case, then they need to come clean with the number of threats which came into that office about that time and admit it, if the situation was that they couldn't even read them. Those gross numbers mean nothing really. The tip which was phoned in was very specific...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Mention was made in the Trump Policy thread about the student's speech affecting upcoming elections. Thought it could be of value to post her speech.

Not sure if she has her facts correct though when mentioning Florida's gun laws (in the first 2 minutes).

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I applaud these young adults not being afraid to voice their concerns.

I think we should have more of this - not just when a shooting occurs.

I would have liked to see the interviewer ask them what other issue besides gun control laws and regulations may have played a role in the shooting.

It's certainly a complex issue so would be worth the inquiry for all concerned.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.