(2018 thread) Active Shooter - Stoneman Douglas High School (near Coral Springs, FL)

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
Hats off to the kids getting involved but I always wonder how many know anything about guns outside of the X-Box? I have heard about addressing the mentally ill side of it but how about bullying, lack of parent involvement with the kids, social media pressure and a host of other things that affect the mental stability of a young person. My 18 year old grand daughter and I were speaking and she wants gun control but at least she also recognizes our right to have them, she has grown up around guns. I have had a loaded gun by my bed with no safety lock for over 35 years and not one of my kids or grandkids will go near it, they were taught that way. They were shown what a real gun could do and with one shot that person may not ever get up again. It's not like a video game or cartoon where they get back up. I've always told them, if you are curious and want to see the gun then come get me, I'll make it safe and let you see it. Along with that is another preaching sermon on guns, gun safety and how your life would be affected by that bad decision. Kids and grandkids hate my sermons by the way but it gets the point across whether they like it or not.

If this shooter put out as many warning signs as he did, how come no one acted on them, law enforcement, guardian, teachers or students? I've read these threads for the last week or two but felt I needed to put in my two cents on this issue again, rant off.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
If this shooter put out as many warning signs as he did, how come no one acted on them, law enforcement, guardian, teachers or students? I've read these threads for the last week or two but felt I needed to put in my two cents on this issue again, rant off.
The answer is simple, because we didn't have enough gun laws.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
My question is why are the mental health professionals not being scrutinized for him not having any big waving red flags on the NICS background check? If we were to start imposing penalties on those that don't report what should obviously be reported could a difference be made?

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Hats off to the kids getting involved but I always wonder how many know anything about guns outside of the X-Box? I have heard about addressing the mentally ill side of it but how about bullying, lack of parent involvement with the kids, social media pressure and a host of other things that affect the mental stability of a young person. My 18 year old grand daughter and I were speaking and she wants gun control but at least she also recognizes our right to have them, she has grown up around guns. I have had a loaded gun by my bed with no safety lock for over 35 years and not one of my kids or grandkids will go near it, they were taught that way. They were shown what a real gun could do and with one shot that person may not ever get up again. It's not like a video game or cartoon where they get back up. I've always told them, if you are curious and want to see the gun then come get me, I'll make it safe and let you see it. Along with that is another preaching sermon on guns, gun safety and how your life would be affected by that bad decision. Kids and grandkids hate my sermons by the way but it gets the point across whether they like it or not.

I'd say they clearly know what it is like to be terrorized and shot at by a guy with an AR-15, they know what it is like to see a friend murdered and other friends wounded, i'd say that is a little more than X-Box experience and far more knowledge than all but a select few veterans that are on this board will ever know hopefully

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
I'd say they clearly know what it is like to be terrorized and shot at by a guy with an AR-15, they know what it is like to see a friend murdered and other friends wounded, i'd say that is a little more than X-Box experience and far more knowledge than all but a select few veterans that are on this board will ever know hopefully
Getting shot at does not necessarily mean you are going to approach the subject without prejudice, just the opposite I would imagine. Hell, I was shot at in high school for being at the wrong place at the wrong time and then more later on in life but that was expected. What I'm saying is being shot at and the trauma that goes with it does not constitute knowledge of the opposite side of the spectrum and what they are thinking. It is going to take both side equally to work through this issue. I'd say that your statement means you are right and I'm wrong or you should have phrased it more in a question wouldn't you think?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Getting shot at does not necessarily mean you are going to approach the subject without prejudice, just the opposite I would imagine. Hell, I was shot at in high school for being at the wrong place at the wrong time and then more later on in life but that was expected. What I'm saying is being shot at and the trauma that goes with it does not constitute knowledge of the opposite side of the spectrum and what they are thinking. It is going to take both side equally to work through this issue. I'd say that your statement means you are right and I'm wrong or you should have phrased it more in a question wouldn't you think?
i never made any claim about prejudice I was only commenting on the XBox experience

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
i never made any claim about prejudice I was only commenting on the XBox experience
Fair enough and I was only using that as a reference to how some kids think and their lack of knowledge about guns. Once reality sets in and people die the reality of it sets in and it's traumatizing to say the least. I'm a gun nut you could say but something needs to be done. I do like the fact that the kids involvement seem to finally make both sides start looking at this beyond ban this, ban that as a fix all. Well they are banning bump stocks it looks like. I mentioned in another thread my grand daughter and I were talking about it and she is legitimately concerned, scared you might say and she grew up around guns. She does not want guns banned but wants a solution, at least as much as can be. Guess I need to leave these threads but the banning of what they call assault weapons frustrates me, they are semi-automatic rifles that look like assault rifles.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
My question is why are the mental health professionals not being scrutinized for him not having any big waving red flags on the NICS background check? If we were to start imposing penalties on those that don't report what should obviously be reported could a difference be made?
Do we know that he was ever seen by a mental health professional? And if so do we know that anything was said that would trigger a report? Reports are generally made to local law enforcement only, then it's up to them. States have penalties in place for failure to make a mandatory report.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I mentioned in another thread my grand daughter and I were talking about it and she is legitimately concerned, scared you might say and she grew up around guns. She does not want guns banned but wants a solution, at least as much as can be. Guess I need to leave these threads but the banning of what they call assault weapons frustrates me, they are semi-automatic rifles that look like assault rifles.
And this is where it takes cool heads to prevail - no one wants to see kids killed, but if you total up all school mass shootings (3 or more killed) in the last 20 years you have 103 children murdered (5.15 per year) out of about 56 million children who attend schools in the US annually. By way of comparison, some 1,600 children are killed annually in auto accidents in the US, over 300x as many.

I'm not trying to minimize the loss or your grand-daughter's fears - lots of fears are irrational - but the chances of getting murdered in a mass shooting are literally 1/10th that of being hit by lightning.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
And this is where it takes cool heads to prevail - no one wants to see kids killed, but if you total up all school mass shootings (3 or more killed) in the last 20 years you have 103 children murdered (5.15 per year) out of about 56 million children who attend schools in the US annually. By way of comparison, some 1,600 children are killed annually in auto accidents in the US, over 300x as many.

I'm not trying to minimize the loss or your grand-daughter's fears - lots of fears are irrational - but the chances of getting murdered in a mass shooting are literally 1/10th that of being hit by lightning.

I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff's gonna come down for quite a while.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL

I absolutely agree with you and similar points were expressed to her. I think it's just how much media attention it is getting and she is graduating this spring and heading off to college so she'll be alone for the first time. We had a fine talk and she was calm and felt better. She is a very smart young lady who could hold an adult conversation with you at age 10 so she understood. As with my children I always want my grand children to be able to come to me without me being judgemental and I'm like yeah right, you really think like that. Seriously though we have all had some chats either in the pool, on the golf cart, etc. I'm blessed that most of them are fairly level headed for their age.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff's gonna come down for quite a while.
I'm not dismissing it, I'm suggesting when you logically examine the issue, the numbers are vanishingly small in context. Not to those affected, of course, but definitely something to consider when some are clamoring for the repeal of legal firearms or suggesting a particular class of firearm should be banned...

Attachments

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I'm not dismissing it, I'm suggesting when you logically examine the issue, the numbers are vanishingly small in context. Not to those affected, of course, but definitely something to consider when some are clamoring for the repeal of legal firearms or suggesting a particular class of firearm should be banned...

The "narrative" in our world is controlled by the media.

This includes Social Media, of course.

Have you ever asked yourself....why isn't the media providing information like this to it's viewers?

And wouldn't information like we have discussed in this thread be beneficial to all involved?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.