(2018 thread) Active Shooter - Stoneman Douglas High School (near Coral Springs, FL)

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
The "narrative" in our world is controlled by the media.

This includes Social Media, of course.

Have you ever asked yourself....why isn't the media providing information like this to it's viewers?

And wouldn't information like we have discussed in this thread be beneficial to all involved?
Statistics like this subtly understate the impact of school shootings.
For example, the Kentucky school shooting doesn't qualify because only two were killed, while 18 more were injured.
I know the Y-axis is clearly marked 'Number killed' and the label at the top says (3 or more children murdered) but it helps explain part of the disconnect.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Have you ever asked yourself....why isn't the media providing information like this to it's viewers?

And wouldn't information like we have discussed in this thread be beneficial to all involved?
It's all about ratings...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

What I am seeing there is still pretty bad. Add in the shootings at churches, work places, outdoor concerts, night clubs, movie theaters and whatever venue these nuts come up with next and, yeah, we have a problem.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
You're the CEO* of You Tube and you find out this kid posted had posted this comment on your Social Media:

"I'm going to be a professional school shooter."

What are you going to do about it?

Curious if anyone here has any ideas or thoughts....

*Susan Diane Wojcicki is an American technology executive. She has been the CEO of YouTube since February 2014. She is from Los Altos, California, and has a net worth of $410 million. Wikipedia

PS: I didn't see anything about the shooting posted on her Twitter or her YT Channel.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You're the CEO* of You Tube and you find out this kid posted had posted this comment on your Social Media:

"I'm going to be a professional school shooter."

What are you going to do about it?

Curious if anyone here has any ideas or thoughts....
Not sure what can be done - there's literally no way Youtube could hire people to read all the comments, etc. They could, however, write a few scripts that automatically scanned all comments posted in real time for key words that would alert a human to read it immediately and decide how to act.

There are obviously costs involved in this sort of action, but I'd think most any social media platform company could initiate a system like this that looks for potential issues and sends them up the chain accordingly.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not sure what can be done - there's literally no way Youtube could hire people to read all the comments, etc. They could, however, write a few scripts that automatically scanned all comments posted in real time for key words that would alert a human to read it immediately and decide how to act.

There are obviously costs involved in this sort of action, but I'd think most any social media platform company could initiate a system like this that looks for potential issues and sends them up the chain accordingly.
Like any comment which combines the two words "school" and "shooter?"

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
What do you want the CEO of YouTube to do or say right now that would make anything or anyone feel better?

You do realize that YouTube, and it's staff, do not physically watch every video posted to the site, much less read all the comments? It is impossible for them to do that because 300 hours of video are uploaded to YT every minute. :eek2: YT uses algorithms to scan videos for offensive or illegal content but, I think the comments on videos are left to be policed by the channel/content owner, not YT. I'm not sure about that though, just basing it off things I've seen channels owners post before in the past.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
What do you want the CEO of YouTube to do or say right now that would make anything or anyone feel better?
I don't expect them to say anything and do not believe they bear any responsibility to react to this. I just think it would be easy for them to do this (they may already be doing it as we speak, the last thing they'd do is tell anyone, I'd think)...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Im sure there are computer programs already reading everything to target advertisements. Just change the query arguments.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I don't expect them to say anything and do not believe they bear any responsibility to react to this. I just think it would be easy for them to do this (they may already be doing it as we speak, the last thing they'd do is tell anyone, I'd think)...
If they meaning Google can pick out an item discussed on a cell phone and flood you with commercials they sure as heck can pick out selected comments made on just about any social platform including their YouTube. That is what they do!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

You do realize that YouTube, and it's staff, do not physically watch every video posted to the site, much less read all the comments? It is impossible for them to do that because 300 hours of video are uploaded to YT every minute. :eek2: YT uses algorithms to scan videos for offensive or illegal content but, I think the comments on videos are left to be policed by the channel/content owner, not YT. I'm not sure about that though, just basing it off things I've seen channels owners post before in the past.
They not only could do it, but would be very easy and wouldn't require human participation...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Thanks for all the responses so far.

The reason for my question (What would you do if YOU were the CEO?) is I was curious how you might handle things.

I admit, I am not up to speed on how filters work or what type of technology could be used in the future to help catch someone before they go too far with threats, etc.

This is a complex issue and there's not one single solution to it all.

But the subject of gun control seems to suck away all the oxygen in the room where other aspects of the issue are not being discussed as much as (I think) they should.

For the record, I'm not "out to get" the CEO's of Social Media. Mostly - I would like to see reduction or elimination of future mass shootings....the same as everyone else.

Now to answer my own question - if I were CEO and found out the shooter made a comment on my company social media platform, I would issue a statement that I'm both saddened and disgusted by the incident and concerned that the comment wasn't given more attention and I will be engaged with law enforcement and other agencies to work on better ways to followup on individuals making threats on social media. Or something to that effect.

There are a lot of kids right now looking for answers, guidance, help, etc. Social media is a huge part of many of their lives. Stands to reason they would want to engage. YMMV but that's my take.

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Now to answer my own question - if I were CEO and found out the shooter made a comment on my company social media platform, I would issue a statement that I'm both saddened and disgusted by the incident and concerned that the comment wasn't given more attention and I will be engaged with law enforcement and other agencies to work on better ways to followup on individuals making threats on social media. Or something to that effect.
I would focus on making my company the best it could be at what it is trying to be. I would take steps to make sure that the company followed all laws inasmuch as possible to do so, and to cooperate with law enforcement in their legitimate requests.

If anonymity were an expectation my users had, I would make no attempt to obtain or store their private personally identifiable information so that it would be literally impossible for me to betray their trust by revealing their identity.

I would have grave reservations about sharing private conversations with government agencies just because they would find the information useful.

I would refuse to build backdoors allowing law enforcement to monitor my users.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The Armed Florida School Officer Didn't Go Into The Building During The Mass Shooting

An armed school resource officer at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School stood outside of the building and did "nothing" while a gunman opened fire on students and teachers, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said Thursday.

"Devasted," Israel said was his reaction at seeing video that showed the deputy taking a position outside the building, but never going in during the rampage that killed 17. "Sick to my stomach. There are no words."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.