Active Shooter - Stoneman Douglas High School (near Coral Springs, FL) - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaFlum's Avatar

Re: Active Shooter - Stoneman Douglas High School (near Coral Springs, FL)

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    So what has changed? Guns were much more prevalent years before. I remember seeing shotguns and rifles in pickups on campus as well. More laws are just a bandaid on a skin cancer. Until we remove the real reason, nothing will change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RTR!

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFlum View Post
    So what has changed? Guns were much more prevalent years before. I remember seeing shotguns and rifles in pickups on campus as well. More laws are just a bandaid on a skin cancer. Until we remove the real reason, nothing will change.

As I've said in the other thread, the major difference is that long guns, particularly shotguns, were common then. Handguns, not so much...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    So far Rubio has called for a Congressional investigation into this, Sessions has called for an investigation into how it happened, and Rick Scott called for the FBI director to resign.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar

All 17 families should file a lawsuit against the FBI and those found responsible for blowing this off should spend the rest of their days behind bars.

Quote Originally Posted by AlistarWills View Post
    All 17 families should file a lawsuit against the FBI and those found responsible for blowing this off should spend the rest of their days behind bars.
    Maybe "should," but there's no such statute imposing that for falling down on your job...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar

Consider the implications of this.

If what you are saying were an actual remedy, the FBI would never have said that they been contacted about this guy at all. Obfuscation and destroying evidence of said notification would be the norm. If found out, they would find someone to scapegoat, and replace that person with a new person who probably wouldn't do any better. This isn't what I want the FBI to be doing. Assuming good faith, simply doing a bad job isn't something you hand out life sentences for.

It's all too easy to second guess the job someone is doing when not in possession of all the facts and context. Eventually you run out of people willing to do a job if the penalty for failure is that extreme.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar

You know, you are right. It just totally ticks me off that people have jobs of high responsibility and they are flippant about it instead of taking their job seriously. I have family that are in the medical field and have taken call, where they have a specified amount of time to arrive after being paged. They get there at the absolute last minute and it really bothers me because someone’s life could be on the line. In this case, 17 people lost their lives and 17 families have irreparable damage and a community is forever changed because someone “didn’t do their job”. A simple termination is just unacceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    Consider the implications of this.

If what you are saying were an actual remedy, the FBI would never have said that they been contacted about this guy at all. Obfuscation and destroying evidence of said notification would be the norm. If found out, they would find someone to scapegoat, and replace that person with a new person who probably wouldn't do any better. This isn't what I want the FBI to be doing. Assuming good faith, simply doing a bad job isn't something you hand out life sentences for.

It's all too easy to second guess the job someone is doing when not in possession of all the facts and context. Eventually you run out of people willing to do a job if the penalty for failure is that extreme.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar

You know, you are right. It just totally ticks me off that people have jobs of high responsibility and they are flippant about it instead of taking their job seriously. I have family that are in the medical field and have taken call, where they have a specified amount of time to arrive after being paged. They get there at the absolute last minute and it really bothers me because someone’s life could be on the line. In this case, 17 people lost their lives and 17 families have irreparable damage and a community is forever changed because someone “didn’t do their job”. A simple termination is just unacceptable.
    I have no particular insight into the FBI's caseload or workflow, but I do have an imagination.
    I have a hard time believing that someone viewed these reports, shrugged "who cares" and ignored it.
    I have an easier time believing that these reports were noted, assigned a priority and assembled into a database or document, and the highest priority reports given the most attention.
    Should this have been given higher priority? Maybe. Probably. It's easy to say that in retrospect.
    I expect we will know more at some point about how this actually did happen, but I don't feel entitled to details.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    I have no particular insight into the FBI's caseload or workflow, but I do have an imagination.
    I have a hard time believing that someone viewed these reports, shrugged "who cares" and ignored it.
    I have an easier time believing that these reports were noted, assigned a priority and assembled into a database or document, and the highest priority reports given the most attention.
    Should this have been given higher priority? Maybe. Probably. It's easy to say that in retrospect.
    I expect we will know more at some point about how this actually did happen, but I don't feel entitled to details.
    I actually do feel that the public is entitled to the details of what went wrong. Transparency matters...

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I actually do feel that the public is entitled to the details of what went wrong. Transparency matters...
    This report might explain it a bit.

https://twitter.com/cbsnews/status/964645515651624961

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

This report might explain it a bit.

https://twitter.com/cbsnews/status/964645515651624961

If that be the case, then they need to come clean with the number of threats which came into that office about that time and admit it, if the situation was that they couldn't even read them. Those gross numbers mean nothing really. The tip which was phoned in was very specific...