(2018 thread) Active Shooter - Stoneman Douglas High School (near Coral Springs, FL)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
There's a gadget I've seen on YouTube which should be in every classroom. Hard to describe, but it's two interlocking plates which slide apart, locking the door securely. There are a number of similar devices. I think the most a teacher should do is to slide something like that in place and then get away from the door with the students...
Boy. I agree.

If we had a country with virtually no firearms, then it might be different, but having a guy like the Florida jackhole on the loose means that while anti-gun folks see schools as "gun free zones," jackholes like Lakeland see "defenseless, target rich environment." I hate that, but that's the lay of the land.

I've had a colleague say that roughly 30% of teachers at Liberty University are packing on any given day (with mandatory gun safety and CCW training). Any school shooting there would likely be brief. They haven't had one yet...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Boy. I agree.

If we had a country with virtually no firearms, then it might be different, but having a guy like the Florida jackhole on the loose means that while anti-gun folks see schools as "gun free zones," jackholes like Lakeland see "defenseless, target rich environment." I hate that, but that's the lay of the land.

I've had a colleague say that roughly 30% of teachers at Liberty University are packing on any given day (with mandatory gun safety and CCW training). Any school shooting there would likely be brief. They haven't had one yet...
The teachers have done a good job in these shootings with the "shelter in place" part. Unfortunately, in many cases, it just hasn't helped. Rather than purchasing mass arms for teachers, if the money were spent instead on blocking devices like these, which the teachers could rapidly deploy, many lives could be saved. OTOH, the president would be deprived of a powerful slogan and campaign issue, so it'll never happen. Too common sense...

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
There's a gadget I've seen on YouTube which should be in every classroom. Hard to describe, but it's two interlocking plates which slide apart, locking the door securely. There are a number of similar devices. I think the most a teacher should do is to slide something like that in place and then get away from the door with the students...

Saw this one. Simple, low cost and could buy you more time.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

If thats the same one I saw, it was invented by a high school boy.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
This video turned up on my YouTube feed some time ago. It is actual footage of an armed bank guard taking on an armed bank robber. It demonstrates the reaction time required to confront an armed attacker. A viewer can draw their own conclusion as to what might occur in a school environment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_l-fVxU8e4
This is a stupid question, but I’ve watched way too many shows where people get shot. They all bleed out all over the place. Why in all these videos do the people not bleed when shot? LOL I’m genuinely curious.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
At the school I used as an example, as with the overwhelming majority of elementary schools, there are few men (sort of unusual for there to be two) and no coaches...
How many elementary schools are targeted too? I mean, typically, JH/HS is when the rages of testosterone begin which is where the vast majority of incidents occur. I wouldn't project elementary schools to be targeted in most cases. In the case of Sandy Hooks, you had what appears to be a special needs individual, who's mom failed to properly secure the weapons (why she had that I don't know) and he went off. I would think (and hope) Sandy Hooks is the exception, not the rule.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
What locations within the schools have most of the shootings taken place? Is there any pattern to this?
That's a good question. I had wondered myself. I'd assumed that, in these shootings, the shooter more or less worked his way down a hall, shooting into classrooms. Given this particular shooter, with his prejudices, I'd wondered if one were at greater risk with darker skin...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

The other part of it is it fits over the metal "arm" of the door as well and locks it in place so the door can't be opened. Pretty cool stuff to be honest. Again, sad that's become an invention though.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
How many elementary schools are targeted too? I mean, typically, JH/HS is when the rages of testosterone begin which is where the vast majority of incidents occur. I wouldn't project elementary schools to be targeted in most cases. In the case of Sandy Hooks, you had what appears to be a special needs individual, who's mom failed to properly secure the weapons (why she had that I don't know) and he went off. I would think (and hope) Sandy Hooks is the exception, not the rule.
I think and hope you are correct about Sandy Hooks' being an outlier. The high school and college shootings seem to be where the emotional boil-overs happen...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I learned that by the time you're in Latin 4, you're the only student and grading against the curve becomes impossible.
My second year, there was one Latin IV student who sat in with us. I think she mostly did her own translation work. She was also a student aide of sorts.

I remember one guy from my class said he was going to take Latin III, but I don’t know if he actually did it.

The Latin teacher had to teach at both high schools in my town. She had two first year classes and one second year in the morning and had to drive across town during her break period to teach at the other school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.