(2018 thread) Active Shooter - Stoneman Douglas High School (near Coral Springs, FL)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
From Ohio on Thursday. A mother reported this post on Social Media...not knowing it was her own daughter:

--------

Authorities were alerted late Wednesday night of a threat of violence to area schools on social media.

A user, only known as “unknown.vw”, posted a threat on Instagram stating “Vw this is my only warning. This month your school will be disrupted, i will not feel pity for what i am soon to do.”

The Van Wert Police Department is currently investigating the situation and released this statement:

“Our department has been made aware of a threat that is supposedly going to cause a disruption sometime this month at school. Our department along with several other departments are looking into the matter.”

Student in custody after threats of violence to Van Wert school

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/features/video-games-school-shootings-w516863

When scholars have examined real-world violence – school shootings, homicide, and aggregated assault – any tiny links between video games and mundane acts of aggression completely disappears. Research done by the US Secret Service and our laboratories have both found that less than 20 percent of school shooters played violent video games with any amount of regularity. Not only is interest in violent video games rare among school shooters, these perpetrators express much less interest in this violent medium than most other individuals. If you were to enter any school in America you would find that about 70 percent of the male students habitually play violent video games. If there is any link between violent video games and school shootings it is in the opposite direction expressed by politicians and researchers examining irritating loud noise exposure – those who perpetrate acts of violence in schools are more than three times less likely to play violent video games than an average high school student.Consistent with this research it has also been found that countries that consume more video games have lower levels of violent crime than those devoid of this media. Months when people are playing violent video games tend to be safer than months people are not home playing video games. Even when violent video games like Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto are first released there tends to be a decrease in homicides. Such findings have been replicated by psychologists, economists, and sociologist at various universities while taking into account numerous potential other variables.
At present we know that the majority of scholars who study video games are skeptical of links with violence in society. Only about 10 to 15 percent of scholars believe in such links, indicating this is clearly the minority opinion. What is more interesting is that age is a strong predictor of attitudes among scholars.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
http://www.businessinsider.com/park...doctored-cnn-emails-to-media-2018-2?r=UK&IR=T

Pretty gross of this father to use the shooting & town hall event as an attempt to discredit CNN.
Not that I disagree with you but...

this doesn't approach the level of CBS not authenticating ANG documents in a Presidential race.

THIS is our society now unfortunately.

Of course, that sheriff on CNN who thought he was a bad ash is looking more like a buffoon with each passing day.

The fact is that people don't trust the media anymore. And the ONLY reason for that is because they've run too many doctored stories that would never have aired 50 years ago. The media has created that problem, and it's going to take at least 4 generations to fix it if they even wanted to.

Too many journalists went to school in the wake of Woodward and Bernstein wanting to be unaccountable to an electorate yet influential.
In the process, they sacrificed objectivity.

These facts are why there is a ready made audience for "they tried to spin the news a certain direction," including the made up case you cite.

My brother texted me yesterday morning and said they get a dozen phone calls a day being accused of being biased either liberal OR conservative,
and those calls run 50/50. He also said it's worse - in both directions - since Trump won.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If calls saying they are biased are split 50/50 between Trumpies and anti-Trumpies, I’d say they are doing a good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Tragic, but it sounds like the guy will live. However, this would be the result if "good guys" everywhere start pulling out concealed weapons and police come to an active crime scene looking for an armed man.

Texas police shoot man who disarmed possible church shooter

Police in Amarillo shot an innocent man who helped foil a possible church shooting. Police said Joshua Len Jones, 35, of Amarillo, barged into a church building at Faith City Mission, pulled out a gun and was holding about 100 congregants and church staff hostage.

In the time between when police were dispatched and when officers arrived, a handful of churchgoers wrestled Jones to the ground. One of the congregants was able to grab Jones' gun. Officers entered the building and saw the churchgoer holding the gun and opened fire, according to the Amarillo Police Department. The churchgoer was hospitalized in stable condition.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If calls saying they are biased are split 50/50 between Trumpies and anti-Trumpies, I’d say they are doing a good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes - at his local station and we both agree with that. But a local station had no national influence. Fox News is a joke, MSDNC and CNN aren’t any better. I recall not so long ago when CNN was the trusted voice that brought us the Gulf War. But that is ancient history now.

Walter Cronkite was - personally - a hard left liberal but nobody knew that while he was doing the news. Rather was bipolar - he could do outstanding work but he always seemed to get into it with Republicans. Brokaw was very good.

Nowadays? I haven’t watched TV news in years. And the web too is a joke. I can’t link any story on social media for 1-2 days without a disclaimer.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Fox News is a joke, MSDNC and CNN aren’t any better.
Not necessarily the place to debate this.. and I won't speak to MSNBC because I don't watch it but strongly disagree with this statement.

CNN might be biased some but Fox News is broadcasting from a parallel dimension.

I used to think the same thing about them (and used to watch almost exclusively Fox News at one point in my life), but it's not really even close from what I've viewed.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
My Mom - a teacher - pointed out immediately (years ago) that the only thing that’s going to happen is a kid in class is going to find the gun and shoot someone.

I also can’t see Mom even in her younger days picking up a weapon and shooting at an intruder.
It also wouldn't be very long before a frustrated teacher fires a shot into the ceiling to get the attention of an unruly class.

Hell we can't trust a lot of our teachers not to sleep with the kids they're teaching and we wanna add firearms to that? A bit of exaggeration for effect but still.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
It also wouldn't be very long before a frustrated teacher fires a shot into the ceiling to get the attention of an unruly class.

Hell we can't trust a lot of our teachers not to sleep with the kids they're teaching and we wanna add firearms to that? A bit of exaggeration for effect but still.
A new series on Lifetime - Hot Teachers with Guns. "Hey, did you watch 'HTG' last night?" I think we need to start writing the script.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Not necessarily the place to debate this.. and I won't speak to MSNBC because I don't watch it but strongly disagree with this statement.

CNN might be biased some but Fox News is broadcasting from a parallel dimension.

I used to think the same thing about them (and used to watch almost exclusively Fox News at one point in my life), but it's not really even close from what I've viewed.
Agree with you on Fox (and I used to watch it nearly exclusively), but CNN is without a doubt biased - by a country mile. It bothers me terribly that serious unbiased hard news is just about impossible to find outside of maybe - maybe - a 30-60 slot on any of the "news" channels. Crossfire type shows apparently get better ratings than hard news.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
My Mom - a teacher - pointed out immediately (years ago) that the only thing that’s going to happen is a kid in class is going to find the gun and shoot someone.

I also can’t see Mom even in her younger days picking up a weapon and shooting at an intruder.
Just my opinion but there are some things that do seem to be more suited for males than females. Take for instance combat. What is the ratio of men vs. women who engage in combat in the military.

So....using that analogy, I don't think we'd use female teachers as the best gender choice in a hypothetical discussion about teachers carrying.....and (in theory) being a first line of defense.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.